Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010. Do I need to worry about this?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What about the latest generation 2013-2016? Have they done anything to eliminate this problem?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes, they decontented the transmission with the exception of the proper Touareg - the Escape model - the one that you don't get!

·
Registered
219 Posts
How do you de-content the transmission? Yes no low range (transfer case?) but that has nothing to do with the center bearing...I have zero use for the low range, never used it once in all 4 cars I owned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What kind of upgrade is there? I saw a post about being able to replace the rubber around the bearing. But surely someone makes a fix??

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
How do you de-content the transmission? Yes no low range (transfer case?) but that has nothing to do with the center bearing...I have zero use for the low range, never used it once in all 4 cars I owned.
You answered your own question on the decontent element!

The Krauts knew that, like both you and me [despite my going off-road every day] 99%+ of all Touareg owners probably never engaged low ratio.

So, with the arrival of the 8 speed auto-box and the ability to do all sorts of clever things with a low first gear and the electronics, they deleted it on the main stream models to both reduce complexity and save weight.

The T3 prop/shaft mount has been redesigned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I really like the 8 speed tranny in my 15, seems to be in the right gears at the right time and love that when I touch the brakes it starts to downshift requiring less braking. Very impressed with this transmission.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There might be a 9 speed in 2017 . . .

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
CVTs are horrible! Lots of revs and noise and no go!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Even though they have not really caught on some manufacturers use a constantly variable transmission, Unlimited gears ?
Don't think they handle torque real well though.

Regards
Drag

Cvt don't have any gears so to speak., there is a cone like gear that a belt rides on. As the speed of the belt increases it moves up the cone causing a faster speed. I'm sure there is a more technical explanation. But I just woke up lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Could I per say take my drive shaft off, pre failure, and pack the bushing around the bearing with poly or window weld to help it last longer? I see drive shafts (off brand) for around $400 so it's not a terrible amount of money but if I can spend $20 and it last then I want to do that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Renault and McLaren collaborated in the design and build of an IVT for an F1 racing car with great success, they were able to shave 1 and 2 seconds off lap times... but the FIA banned it, even when they said they could program virtual gear steps. I think Subaru make an IVT, but with virtual steps.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Could I per say take my drive shaft off, pre failure, and pack the bushing around the bearing with poly or window weld to help it last longer? I see drive shafts (off brand) for around $400 so it's not a terrible amount of money but if I can spend $20 and it last then I want to do that.
There'd be no need to remove it to do that but as to whether it would work . . . let us know!!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You surely COULD pack the soft rubber with something a lot harder and longer lasting. The real question then is how much vibration and noise would be transmitted through the new harder mount to the body. And would that additional vibration be tolerable. The reason the current rubber fails is because it is both thin and soft. It is that way on purpose so that vibrations are not passed through. The downside is that it doesn't last.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts