Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Thursday I got my first ever CEL, yesterday I hooked up my VAG-COM to the vehicle and it told me I had 3 faults:

9567 - NOx Sensor 2 Bank 1
P229F 00 [096] - Implausible Signal
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

17277 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [232] - Efficiency too Low
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

The 3rd was an intermittent "No communications with steering angle sender". Ignoring that.

Nothing fatal so I decided to keep using the vehicle. After my 2nd stop of the day Friday the CEL went out.

I am assuming the light turned off because the problem has not reoccurred. My question is only- how many stops/miles before the CEL goes away if a fault does not recur? Is there a threshold?

Trying to figure out if I should have VW look at it or just not worry at all (extended emissions warranty so no cost to me).

Thanks, I know this is a newbie question but my searches are not finding the answer.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Every single time a cel comes up you don't touch it and immediately take to the dealer. You're only hurting yourself otherwise. Very rare will they trigger falsely; almost always an underlying issue

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every single time a cel comes up you don't touch it and immediately take to the dealer. You're only hurting yourself otherwise. Very rare will they trigger falsely; almost always an underlying issue
Called the dealership today, told them the story and the codes, plus the fact that the SEL went out.

Service advisor took me off the appointment schedule. Said if I bought it in the codes would be clear now so nothing to find.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Called the dealership today, told them the story and the codes, plus the fact that the SEL went out.

Service advisor took me off the appointment schedule. Said if I bought it in the codes would be clear now so nothing to find.
Wrong. Often hard codes are stored; they're not active but they are still stored in the system. Furthermore, there are some codes that only the dealer can pull that vagcom doesn't even know exist. He just pulled one over on you.

Reactions: Black Grouse

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wrong. Often hard codes are stored; they're not active but they are still stored in the system. Furthermore, there are some codes that only the dealer can pull that vagcom doesn't even know exist. He just pulled one over on you.
I don't look at it as "pulled one over on me" as this is an emissions system code. Would you think I need to take it in if the code was related to the fuel cap not being on tight enough?

I have both emissions and powertrain warranties through the end of 2027. If it turns out that this was the first domino to fall I think I'm covered.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
I don't look at it as "pulled one over on me" as this is an emissions system code. Would you think I need to take it in if the code was related to the fuel cap not being on tight enough?

I have both emissions and powertrain warranties through the end of 2027. If it turns out that this was the first domino to fall I think I'm covered.
Lol 'gas cap lights' aren't really a thing anymore. But obviously no, that's something you messed up and can easily fix

· Registered
2016 Touareg, 1999 Audi A4 Stroker
84 Posts
Lol 'gas cap lights' aren't really a thing anymore. But obviously no, that's something you messed up and can easily fix
An evap leak fault from leaving the gas cap off is still 100% a thing. Not necessarily Touaregs or other cars that have a trap door in the filler but it’s still possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,685 Posts
An evap leak fault from leaving the gas cap off is still 100% a thing. Not necessarily Touaregs or other cars that have a trap door in the filler but it’s still possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it's still a thing but it's not line 80s and 90s American cars where it could happen with extreme frequency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts