Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello and nice to meet everybody. I've been reading through your forums the past couple of weeks, doing quite a bit of research before purchasing. Today we purchased a 2009 Touareg with V6 TDI. We love how it feels and performs and we hope it's a great vehicle for us.

However, our first experience was that we realized it needed wiper blades shortly after we left the lot. None of them at the normal auto parts stores would work correctly, so we'll hit the local VW dealer in the morning.

Here's the kicker...
After fueling up, I drove it to pick up our Honda from my work parking lot to take the vehicles home (the wife drove the Treg home). Halfway home, my wife tells me that the check engine light turned on. So, because I think it's probably the fuel cap, I tried cycling the key, and a few things like that, to no avail. I don't want to take the seat out yet to disconnect the battery. But from my searches on here, it seems that we might just need to drive it a few times. I've got my fingers crossed that we can put a scan tool on it tomorrow and be okay.

It also has the TPMS light on, but I think it just needs cycled down to real low pressure and back up. It's reading accurate (and adequate) pressure.

I'll report back with our findings, tomorrow. I hope I didn't buy one somebody got rid of because they didn't want to do the upcoming maintenance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask (I'm having a hard time finding it; maybe I suck at search)...

Do these vehicles go through regen a lot? Ours seemed to go in and out of regen throughout the 50 miles or so we've put on it. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it seemed excessive.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I forgot to ask (I'm having a hard time finding it; maybe I suck at search)...

Do these vehicles go through regen a lot? Ours seemed to go in and out of regen throughout the 50 miles or so we've put on it. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it seemed excessive.
Unfortunately not a good start to a long term relationship with your vehicle for you:anger:

Anyway, what makes you think you can pick numerous DPF regens in 50 miles?
I will be quite honest with you and admit that I have not once been conscious of a regen taking place in my '08 during 130K kms of driving, I suspect you are are mistaking a regen for something else that is occuring.

TonyB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I thought it was going through regen was that it would occasionally haze white smoke, and I thought it seemed like the 6.6L Duramax powered trucks I've been around that go through regen. But I don't really remember how long those trucks stayed in regen, and question myself now. The Touareg blew some white haze when stopped and I could slightly smell urea when outside the vehicle. It happened 2-3 times but not the whole time. Maybe it was doing it the whole time and we didn't drive long enough for it to go away?

Am I going to hate what you're about to tell me? Ha

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
White smoke (haze?) is never a good sign in a DPF'd system, but I'm not current what additives you may run in your local market.

AU spec V6TDI's Touaregs do not run with any anti pollution additives added to their exhaust system however the V10 PD engines do have Adblue added.

TonyB

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
White smoke (haze?) is never a good sign in a DPF'd system, but I'm not current what additives you may run in your local market.

AU spec V6TDI's Touaregs do not run with any anti pollution additives added to their exhaust system however the V10 PD engines do have Eoly's /Pat Fluid added.

TonyB

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for the correction Drag, my post should read:

AU spec V6TDI's Touaregs do not run with any anti pollution additives added to their exhaust system however the V10 PD engines do have Eoly's /Pat Fluid added.

TonyB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the local Oreilly auto parts this morning and got them to scan it. While sitting at a traffic light, it was blowing white again. I can't tell if it's stream or smoke. But it was a good bit of it.

The tool repeated the same code 4 times. NOx sensor, bank 1, sensor 2.

Would that cause the white smoke/steam?

You don't take the seat out to access the battery. The seat hinges backwards after undoing 2 bolts on the floor at the front. Here's the how-to:

Changing the T1, T2, T3 and T4 battery, including both batteries in the V10 - myTreg forums
Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
557 Posts
My first thought, find someone close by you can give it scan. Second, buy the scan tool for your self (Ross-Tech: VCDS). This will give you all the error codes, including what is causing the CEL.

I found this for a VCDS search in Alabama. new member dothan Alabama w/VCDS. 2000 jetta tdi | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

I'm not sure about the regen either, but the DEF makes the exhaust smell like ammonia to me.

The 09 does take DEF, it fills under the spare in the back, but that won't be the problem with the white exhaust.

Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hanks MJHandy.

I'm not sure if you saw the last post I made, but the scan tool at the local parts store says that it is the NOx sensor. Does that explain the white smoke/mist?

·
Registered
557 Posts
No that's something else. Do you know what error code the shop read? That will help narrow things down

·
Registered
444 Posts
white smoke? check you radiator fluid levels.. and make sure that there is no oil mixed in with the radiator fluid. Another check would be to check the oil dipstick for a milky, cream colored deposits. If you see any of that, take the truck back to where you bought it and get your money back.

I would also check around the turbo to see if you can see any oil leaks or greasy deposits near or on the turbo. You could have a failing turbo. I recently bought a '10 treg TDI and while it wasn't smoking, the turbo failed and was replaced under warrantee. Then almost immediately, I got the same NOX sensor failure and over the course of 4 trips to the dealer, slowly got the Nox sensor replaced and new ad-blue reservoir replaced, all covered under the 8-year, 80k miles emissions warrantee.

My Treg is running great now, even getting better millage with the fresh nox sensor, good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, unfortunately, I don't know the full extent of the issue. But fortunately, I am friends with the owner of the dealership, so I took it back in to let his guys check it out. They got the same code, but they also now think that the white smoke is a serious issue. The deal wasn't going to be final until Monday, so they backed the sale all the way out and I gave them the Touareg back.

MAN! I was so excited to have it. But I'm going to wait and see what the problem turns out to be, and MAYBE I'll buy it once it's taken care of, if they don't get rid of it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There's a lot of Touaregs in the sea. Stay away from CELs. These things are expensive enough to work on when you get one in good shape to start with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts