Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, 2 weeks ago i bought Treg 3.0TDI V6 2006. In the boot cd changer(not working- looks like no power):neutral:, in the glove box cable for Ipod. I want to fix cd changer.Maybe previous owner disconnect it somehow,because of Ipod? Are they will work together? Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
My 05 had an ipod connector in the front also. Most of them work by unplugging the CD changer and bypassing it so that the iPod uses that connection. I'm not sure how you can get both to work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 04 with the GPS unit and the CD changer, I had to disconnect my CD changer in order to get the IPod working. As far as my understanding goes you can either have one or the other, at least on T1's, not sure about T2's and T3's

·
Premium Member
50 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just bought one of these
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Shipped from Hong Kong to Melbourne in about a week. It plugs into the vacant AV socket on the RN S2 unit so doesn't interfere with the CD changer. Sound quality is good, volume is less than the radio and CD so you need to adjust it when you change between them.
Music plays from my iPhone 3Gs through the cable and mutes when the phone uses the Bluetooth connection for phone calls. It will also charge the phone, unlike VW's OEM offering for some models.
I can cope with selecting playlists from the iPhone. Who can remember which playlist is "CD3" anyhow?
p.s. You'll also need the radio removal keys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How easy was it to install the iPod connection to the back on the stereo unit? As the local VW garage was looking to charge me £300 for the priveledige, it feels like a rip off, as most main garages are, but wanted to get some independent views on this

Thanks for advice
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello John,

If you look under the arm rest, do you have an AUX input? If you do you can simply run a standard 30 pin iPod connector to dual RCA cable to give you line level output from your ipod into these aux connectors. It works pretty well, that's what I'm using now, the cable was around £5 from amazon.co.uk. The downside of this is that you have to control the iPod from it's front panel, and there is no information from the iPod transmitted to the screen in your vehicle. The more sophisticated way is to use a module which will allow you to interface the iPod directly to the audio / nav system which will give you artist / track display on the screen and will allow control from the steering wheel like this unit here :-

XCARLINK SKU18 VW Tiguan, Touareg, Touran iPod iPhone Interface

The XCarLink system is around £90 + fitting. I would usually recommend Dension for this purpose, but I cannot find one of their Gateway systems which are compatible with the Touareg, and their Ice Link system is FM based which I really don't like recommending given their mediocre sound quality.

The ultimate way of doing this is to swap out the entire head unit, whch thankfully in the Touareg is much simpler than the Cayenne which uses the fibre optic MOST interface. I have recently fitted a Kenwood KNX-4230BT to my wife's Golf and it is a superb unit with an excellent tuner, great Nav functionality (from Garmin) and BlueTooth interface using Parrot technology and one of the best iPod interfaces I've seen with superb sound quality. It's not cheap (around £660 + fitting) but it will certainly give great results and leave the standard head unit far behind in terms of functionality and sound quality.

I've not yet fitted one to my car (it's only 4 days old) but once I have the 3rd party warranty organised it's on my list of things to do.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 6 CD player in the rear of my 2009 V6 TDI is operative as far as loading discs, plenty of clicking etc but how does one play them? This sounds a dumb question, but how?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts