Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent a few days searching but could not find a real answer:

I am adding a catch can to my V10 TDI. I got this one off Amazon that allows be to run both side to one can and vent it out under the car.

My question is can i remove the round CCV diaphragms and just run the line from the valve cover to the Catch Can?

I know the diaphragms can fail and with it not running into the intakes it does not have to deal with changing pressures so i don't see the point of leaving them in place.

Love the new site BTW! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You may find the engine management warning light lights up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I have the CCVs flipped and the hose going to the intake capped so the the Diaphragms are just venting to the ground. The catch can is really just so I am not leaking so much oil vapor goo.....

No check engines with this set up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't see why that setup wouldn't work. I am looking to do something similar while I have the engine out of the V10 right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only concern i have is someone on the tdi site did it and had the "vent tube" aimed forward. I guess the pull that the engine can generate (I dont fully understand the whole negative and positive pressure thing) might have been pulling in dirt.

He said he found grainy dirt sludge when doing a valve adjustment. so i will make sure it cannot suck dirt in but that seems like a long shot with a long drain tube and the baffled catch can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spent some time last night rigging up the catch can.

I did remove the CCVs and ran the lines directly to the can. The tubes going to the intakes have been plugged.

I need to make a little bracket to mount attached to the drivers intake manifolds( there are some bolts on the front that i can use. I screwed it into the plastic valve cover cover... kinda ghetto but i will change that.

I will give it a few days and see how it runs. 10 min of driving last night did not throw any CELs

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just a thought - make sure that vinyl tubing you are using can handle the heat and is oil resistant. Otherwise it might make a bigger mess.

Looks good though!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I am hunting for some higher heat 7/8 ID tubing.

I use this tubing on my GTI Catch Can and it has held up for two years but I am sure the V10 runs hotter.

I think it is rated at 150 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
vent it back to the intake. The slight suction you get makes sure you don't get oil pushing past the seals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, that is a concern.

My research continues and this whole system is waaay more complicated than i expected. So my first test run i did get oil blow-by (dumped a nice puddle on the ground). Come to conclude that it was because my dipstick was not fully seated. I am not sure if the oil was from the tube or the catch can since my clear lines did not look dirty.

From research is seems this creates a vacuum from the crankcase and pushes oil out to the catch can. Weird...

I seated the dip stick and drove it for a while and now no blow-by. Great unless this is now pressurizing the engine and will lead to leaking seals.

But i am worried about the seals so i am going to have to try running the return line to the intakes. The clear tubing is nice because you can see if oil is coming through. But i guess i really need two 2-way catch cans.

Seems a bad idea to run my 3-way can and only connect to ONE intake track.

My question is: What is the value of adding back the CCVs between the catch can(s) and the valve cover?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To keep you posted, I have removed the catch can for now.

I got new PCV /CCV valves because the other ones looked a little dirty.

The catch can was spending a lot of oil straight to the ground and was messing up the driveway.

I really think you need to have the vacuum pull from the intakes to make the whole system work correctly so it's not trying to puke oil from anywhere it can.

I'm going to go with a standard catch can 1 Inlet one outlet and do one on each side. But I'm going to keep it connected to the intake and the CCV valve. I have all the parts just need to get it installed and figure out where to put two catch cans...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Maybe no worries about seals?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe no worries about seals?
that was my concern after reading other tdi forums. reading about blowing out the rear main seal scared me....

Not sure if my oil slicks were because I was not using the ccvs or not using intake pressure but I would think that if the catch cans do what they are suppsoed to, it should be fine to go from valve cover -> ccv-> catch can -> intake.

i hope to get it rigged up and tested before my big summer camping trip through the northwestern states next month.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i managed to get a version 2.0 mocked up and have been running it with great success for a few weeks now.

Obviously i have chosen function over form.... Need to get some nicer tubing and clamps but the general principal works. I kept the ccv valves in place since they are new but i guess those could be eliminated if you needed to. After about 3 weeks I had about a tablespoon of oil total. Not a ton but at least it did not end up in my intake.

The Mishmoto catch cans are from Amazon and have a brass screen as well as a perforated baffle inside. I run the same one on my gti and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
been thinking of doing the same on my V10, thanks for sharing the info.
looking your hoses it seems the outlet oil in it, do you think much is still going into the engine?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see that too and since most people don't use clear vent lines I cannot say if it is better or worse than other catch cans. Very little is getting through compared to what is in the can itself. Really just a light mist.

I would imagine it could be better if you used a provent can that has an actual filter element instead of the metal screen but they are expensive and unless they are plumbed back to the oil pan, harder to maintain.

Of course i am still getting soot from the egr valve (I have not blocked this off/disabled it) but it is not an oily mess now - much easier to clean the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all,

This thread came up in my searching for a solution to the same problem. Just wondering if you still have this in place, or if you'd progressed any further with your R&D on the subject? My R50 is in for a bunch of repairs/mods right now. I've just ordered the EGR removal kit from Darkside, and I'm looking to get catch cans in place as well while everything is apart. Any tips you have from your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Black 2004 V10
285 Posts
Hey all,

This thread came up in my searching for a solution to the same problem. Just wondering if you still have this in place, or if you'd progressed any further with your R&D on the subject? My R50 is in for a bunch of repairs/mods right now. I've just ordered the EGR removal kit from Darkside, and I'm looking to get catch cans in place as well while everything is apart. Any tips you have from your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Mr Bob i have the ECS tuning catch cans on my V10 they have been fitted for about 20,000 KM and no problems. i had to remove the intake flapers for a different reason and no oil in the intake there was a small amount of oil in each can but not enough to register on the dip sticks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts