Club Touareg Forum banner

Cayenne Transmission Map in T3 Touareg V6TDI

120K views 286 replies 70 participants last post by  yrktreg 
#1 ·
Hi.
I was wondering if it would be possible to apply the Porsche Cayenne's transmission map or setup to my 2014 Touareg V6TDI. My dad has a 2012 Cayenne Diesel and it feels very different due to the gearbox. Especially between 2nd and 3rd gear, as well as the pull away. To be honest I wonder if the Cayenne is not equipped with a ZF unit compared with the Aisin unit in my Touareg - which will only be my logical explanation. But as I understand both cars has exactly the same drivetrain?

#3 ·
I would like to keep this thread alive. I traded my 2012 TDI Executive because I couldn't tolerate the transmission calibration. If I was coasting to a stop and the light turned green pressing the accelerator resulted in absolutely zero forward propulsion. There was a significant delay while the transmission downshifted from 5th through several gears to 2nd and then finally pulled away. It drove me berserk especially when trying to nail a gap in stop and go traffic. Hit the gas, nothing happens. Extremely frustrating.

Long story short, I may be getting a 2016 Touareg again and I'm interested in whether or not this issue was resolved or is resolvable.

- Patrick

#7 ·
I've not had the opportunity to drive the diesel Cayenne, however I can say there is a noticeable difference in gearing when you update the transmission code in VCDS to display gears in the MFD. It also handles deceleration very differently.

As I recall, the factory coding for a 2014 Touareg TDI (North America Spec) is 001368 whereas the gear display coding is 001168.

The question I have is if you make that change, can you tell us if there is similarities to the Cayenne? Of course, it could be that the pepper uses a different control module - I haven't looked that up yet.

#9 ·
I've not had the opportunity to drive the diesel Cayenne, however I can say there is a noticeable difference in gearing when you update the transmission code in VCDS to display gears in the MFD. It also handles deceleration very differently.
I had read somewhere in here that this was probably a misconception and actually due to the fact that most people perform the transmission reset as part of the procedure, so it just SEEMED different after all was said and done, and the MDF gear display option had nothing to do with it. The reset supposedly isn't needed IIRC.

I have no personal experience, just recollection what I saw.

#8 ·
id like to know if the cayenne controller is better and interchangeable

#10 ·
I know this thread is somewhat dated but has anyone made headway on 2012 TDi using Cayenne transmission shift logic/module change?

Thanks,

j

#11 ·
Over the years i dont think have never seen another thread on this.

Do a gearbox reset.

Turn the ignition on but don't start th car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The gearbox will relearn how you drive.

All owners should do this from time to time.

#13 ·
Emailed Buzzken. They are unaware of transferring shift points or maps from Cayenne transmission to Touareg.... oh well, guess we live with Sport mode and Standard Mode.

#15 ·
okay, I couldn't wait... My module accepted the Cayenne B0 coding without any issues. Went out for a drive and these are what I observed.

1. shifting point is higher now, very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear, it is now shifting around 3k rpm with light throttle.

2. gas-brake-gas transition is much better. (Remember accelerating from an empty stop sign? yep) Clutch grabs much quicker. There used to be a 1 second pause when stepping on the gas after braking. In the past, I could apply more pedal pressure to 'force' the clutch to grab, but that resulted in 1 gear kick down and sudden acceleration which is not necessary nor very comfortable. It is now easier to feed the power in.

3. too much engine brake, or maybe the transmission is trying to learn something...

4. point 4 is the reason I decided to try this. I recently installed a chip and smaller pulley, with added torque, my transmission shifts funny at red line. It always pauses, throwing me forward, and then the whole car, not kidding, jumps forward after grabbing the next gear. Now it shifts like DSG at redline, not as quick as DSG but definitely faster than before. Crisp and smooth. I'm not sure what the new coding does its magic, I suppose might still be improved clutch clamping speed, or simply just stopped waiting 1 second before doing anything... It surprised me since I wasn't expecting to solve this problem with a simple coding.

This should also improve VR6 and TDI, who doesn't want a faster transmission?

as always, try at your own risk! I only drove 5 minutes with new coding, I will report back for long term effect.

Attachments

#17 ·
Try a gearbox reset

Ignition on
floor the throttle and hold 15 seconds
release throttle
ignition off
key out

#23 ·
no i have not...i may look into it, however i would think cayenne would use more brake pressure due to their focus on performance not economy....I am more after changing the abs module right now when it comes back from deer collision repair. I hate that you cant turn traction completely off no matter how you try

#25 ·
I just did this. And a gearbox reset.

The box feels tighter and more fun, but still the same lag after gas-brake-gas.

So maybe the only difference was the reset. I was really hoping to get rid of the lag, because every morning at an intersection I have to make a quick decision to go or stop. And there are a lot more stops now than there was with the 3.2 V6 petrol. The TDI needs more free space to join a slot from near standstill. At least if comfort is a concern, which it is with kids in the car.

#26 ·
that has nothing to do with transmission its the brake throttle sensor. The stock mapping does not allow brake and gas at the same time. switching back and forth fast is a safety. Thankfully all gone with my tune....i need the left foot brake to build boost on launch lol

#31 ·
I logged into mine the other day, after the emissions fix. Audi/ VW updated the trans, and the option no longer exists. Perhaps after Ross-Tech gets some logs from the new coding numbers we'll get the updated Byte modification information.

#33 ·
I just looked at my trans setting, and I was able to get into the screen showing the option code for the Porsche .

I changed my Bit 4-7 setting to B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P) .

There is definitely a difference. I not not sure if the turbo lag at low RPM is better, but in regular D (Drive) mode, it seems to more closely resemble sport mode. In sport mode, it still holds higher RPM's, but engine braking is significantly better!

I had the emission fix done back in December. The turbo lag seemed worse especially when cold. Wasn't to happy with it but hey, $7000 plus $1500, right?? SO it seems that this new mode is an improvement. I'll drive it like this for a week to see if it grows on me.

I had to update my VCDS to the latest version. It took about 7 minutes. The new version is shown in one of the pictures.

#36 ·
I played around with the transmission coding in an attempt to restore the pre-fix behavior. I had set the "B1" Cayenne code before getting the emissions fix and still had it afterward in VCDS, but the shift character was totally different. It must get overridden by whatever new programming VW includes in the fix procedure. I tried 11, 13, 15, B1, B3, and B5 and didn't feel much difference between them. The Cayenne codes might hold gears a little longer and feel like they have slightly quicker upshifts, but it could just be placebo. None of the codes brought back the better engine braking characteristics from before the fix, which is what I miss the most. Looks like it'll be an aftermarket tune for me! (eventually)

#37 ·
Good luck they reprogrammed your tcm...no one tunes aisin transmissions, this has been spoken about many times and no one is doing it, the security coding is far to dense to make it profitable for people to do it.

Really your only options would be an older pre fix tcm...or what i would do is a cayenne tcm

#39 ·
I'm planning to acquire an extra TCM to get the fix done with, then put my original one back in. Someone on another thread did that and had success. Transmission stayed as it was prior. It would be nice if a group in one area could do this with one TCM. Just share it around, everyone puts it in for the fix, and back to their original afterwards. Anyone in Halifax area want to go in on one?

#42 ·
From what i gather people are saying the tcms arent that expensive...i hope someone buys a cayenne tcm and tries it...this could be the answer we all want, i strongly believe that the tcm is vastly programmed better thats why the cayenne feels more sporty

#43 ·
I've found a couple on eBay but I think they're Touareg ones. I'd just send it with the eBay one for the fix, and put mine back in after. Mine is in Cayenne mode anyway which as you know made a huge difference. It should go back to pre fix Cayenne mode if I stick my original one back in after. Do you think a Cayenne TDI would be even better than that? Also for the fellow up there with the 2011 and 2016, I don't think 2016 and 2011 have the same TCM. The same TCM is in 2011 and 2012, then changes for 2013, and possibly again in 2015 (can't remember 100%), can look it up on VW Parts site. If you found a compatible pre fix TCM you shouls be able to install it for pre fix shifting behaviour. 2015 and 2016 are the same I think, and possibly the same fro. 2013, but double check that for yourself.

#49 ·
Well I wasn't able to find a used Cayenne TCM to try out, but I did pick up a Euro-spec Touareg TCM (same P/N, but presumably non-fixed). Hopefully the Cayenne coding works and it goes back to prior behavior!

I did figure out a nice little feature that VW apparently didn't neuter: while coasting or braking, a quick tap of the accelerator pedal will kick the transmission down a gear without having to be in M mode. This brings back some of the lost engine braking with a quick heel-toe while decelerating. Sometimes the programming decides the revs are too high and kicks back up a gear, but usually it will drop down and stay.