Club Touareg Forum banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I get a “fault transmission. You can continue driving” code now.
also, how do you activate the gear display in the cluster.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, I couldn't wait... My module accepted the Cayenne B0 coding without any issues. Went out for a drive and these are what I observed.

1. shifting point is higher now, very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear, it is now shifting around 3k rpm with light throttle.

2. gas-brake-gas transition is much better. (Remember accelerating from an empty stop sign? yep) Clutch grabs much quicker. There used to be a 1 second pause when stepping on the gas after braking. In the past, I could apply more pedal pressure to 'force' the clutch to grab, but that resulted in 1 gear kick down and sudden acceleration which is not necessary nor very comfortable. It is now easier to feed the power in.

3. too much engine brake, or maybe the transmission is trying to learn something...

4. point 4 is the reason I decided to try this. I recently installed a chip and smaller pulley, with added torque, my transmission shifts funny at red line. It always pauses, throwing me forward, and then the whole car, not kidding, jumps forward after grabbing the next gear. Now it shifts like DSG at redline, not as quick as DSG but definitely faster than before. Crisp and smooth. I'm not sure what the new coding does its magic, I suppose might still be improved clutch clamping speed, or simply just stopped waiting 1 second before doing anything... It surprised me since I wasn't expecting to solve this problem with a simple coding.

This should also improve VR6 and TDI, who doesn't want a faster transmission?

as always, try at your own risk! I only drove 5 minutes with new coding, I will report back for long term effect.
___
Any updated on this ? How is the experience so far?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why is it showing differently in my vcds than showed in the previous photos? Am I missing a step somewhere?
View attachment 234280
This is what the Long Coding for that module looks like if you choose to accept the experimental data when you click on the long coding button. If you choose no then you get the simpler menu with 3 options.

Ross-Tech still hasn't fixed the bug in that experimental menu that modifies the code from 003568 to 03568C for eg, which is completely incorrect. Try clicking anything from that long drop down menu and watch how it modifies the format of the code. No idea what happens if you try to save it to the module.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know I'm late to the party here... and you might throw me out for the wrong badge...
'12 3.0TDi Q7... I have a DPF, SCR, NOx and AdBlue delete and a Malone Stage 2. (BTW, I've never had better customer service anywhere, in any industry, than I got from Mark Malone)
Made big differences, BUT... the REAL gain was having the trans re-coded.. a procedure very similar to a Dyno Tune..
1/8 Mile in right about 9 seconds
1/4 in just under 14
city/highway average of 25.8mpg
70mph highway mileage around 28mpg

Not terribly impressive #'s, but for a 230k mile SUV weighing almost 3 tons......

ZERO turbo lag in Sport or manual anytime, and in Drive my Subaru-driving daughter says now it drives just like hers.
TBH, I used to think about the trans A LOT, but since I got this done, I really don't.. I just drive and enjoy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"ActuallyStark "
Joined 1 mo ago
23 Posts
#129 1 mo ago
"I know I'm late to the party here... and you might throw me out for the wrong badge...
'12 3.0TDi Q7... I have a DPF, SCR, NOx and AdBlue delete and a Malone Stage 2. (BTW, I've never had better customer service anywhere, in any industry, than I got from Mark Malone)
Made big differences, BUT... the REAL gain was having the trans re-coded.. a procedure very similar to a Dyno Tune.."

Sooooo, What was the procedure for the TCM re-code in The TDI Q7?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sooooo, What was the procedure for the TCM re-code in The TDI Q7?
Get a Vag-Com, take the following path, first we recode the transmission control module and then we clear your existing adaptations.
  1. [02 - Transmission]
  2. [Coding - 07]
  3. [Long Coding Helper]
  4. Select the 2nd byte to flip
  5. Look for bits 4-7: "10 Model: Audi Q7 (4L) & VW Touareg (7P)"
  6. Change it to "B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P)"
  7. Next: exit & [Do it].
  8. [Basic Settings - 04]
  9. Select "Resetting of all adaptation values" from the drop down.
  10. [Go!]
  11. Press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and count out loud 3 seconds, hold.
  12. [Done, Go Back]
  13. Release the accelerator pedal.
  14. Exit, Unplug and Shut off Vehicle, Open Drivers Door.
IMG_20200226_203529.jpg
IMG_20200227_202607.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Perfect !! My thanks Sir.
I will report back when complete.
My Plan is to have a friend (w 2016 Cayenne TDI) drive my Eg and then recode TCM and do a before and after comparison since he has a feel for the Cayenne drivability and can make an objective eval.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I know I'm late to the party here... and you might throw me out for the wrong badge...
Made big differences, BUT... the REAL gain was having the trans re-coded.. a procedure very similar to a Dyno Tune..
1/8 Mile in right about 9 seconds
1/4 in just under 14
city/highway average of 25.8mpg
70mph highway mileage around 28mpg

Not terribly impressive #'s, but for a 230k mile SUV weighing almost 3 tons......

ZERO turbo lag in Sport or manual anytime, and in Drive my Subaru-driving daughter says now it drives just like hers.
TBH, I used to think about the trans A LOT, but since I got this done, I really don't.. I just drive and enjoy.

Are you referring setting the transmission to Cayenne coding, or using Yorktrg's TCU reprogram?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dreadlocks,
My thanks again and then some !!
The Porsche TCU re-code worked flawlessly and the result puts a smile on my face .
Shifts are now seamless and much smother that the Touareg code.The difference is quite noticeable.The trans does not hang (over rev) as it shifts up thru the gears,resulting in what I perceive as a smother transmission.Also seems as if there is less hesitation from a standing stop.

Again,I Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I forgot to mention the key difference we observed when driving the 2015 Cayenne v my 2011 Eg Lux was the very noticeable steering /handling difference.
The Porsche was noticeably liter and more nimble on steering inputs ,possibly a tighter rack ratio,or suspension differences?
Obviously the Cayenne is loads more plush,so the fit is higher on the Cayenne ,but the form and function is not that much ,if any better than the Eg.

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dreadlocks,
My thanks again and then some !!
The Porsche TCU re-code worked flawlessly and the result puts a smile on my face .
Shifts are now seamless and much smother that the Touareg code.The difference is quite noticeable.The trans does not hang (over rev) as it shifts up thru the gears,resulting in what I perceive as a smother transmission.Also seems as if there is less hesitation from a standing stop.

Again,I Really appreciate the help.
Did your VCDS give you a warning about resetting the adaptations for the gearbox? When I click Do It! I get a warning about the whole procedure being irreversible and possibly ending with a dealer visit. I couldn't bring myself to continue without knowing it's just a warning because the guys who made it don't actually know what it does.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yesh, yeah sometime after 2017 they added a warning dialog.. SpOoOkEy! My old version of VCDS didn't try to scare me away.

it dont mean dick, its totally safe.. click past it and dont let your pretty lil face worry about it... here's the process on Ross Tech: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Automatic Transmission Info

The transmission self adapts, so clearing all adaptations wont hurt it, it'll just re-adapt again.. now if you clear all the adaptations out of your parking sensors or cameras, oof.. you'd need to take it to the dealer to get all that set back up correctly because those are not self adapting and need specific tools to calibrate.. so just do it to the transmission module okay?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yesh, yeah sometime after 2017 they added a warning dialog.. SpOoOkEy! My old version of VCDS didn't try to scare me away.

it dont mean dick, its totally safe.. click past it and dont let your pretty lil face worry about it... here's the process on Ross Tech: Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Automatic Transmission Info

The transmission self adapts, so clearing all adaptations wont hurt it, it'll just re-adapt again.. now if you clear all the adaptations out of your parking sensors or cameras, oof.. you'd need to take it to the dealer to get all that set back up correctly because those are not self adapting and need specific tools to calibrate.. so just do it to the transmission module okay?
Thank you most kindly. Worked like a charm, and it doesn't require a shop visit!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get a Vag-Com, take the following path, first we recode the transmission control module and then we clear your existing adaptations.
  1. [02 - Transmission]
  2. [Coding - 07]
  3. [Long Coding Helper]
  4. Select the 2nd block to flip
  5. Look for bits 4-7: "10 Model: Audi Q7 (4L) & VW Touareg (7P)"
  6. Change it to "B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P)"
  7. Next: exit & [Do it].
  8. [Basic Settings - 04]
  9. Select "Resetting of all adaptation values" from the drop down.
  10. [Go!]
  11. Press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and count out loud 3 seconds, hold.
  12. [Done, Go Back]
  13. Release the accelerator pedal.
  14. Exit, Unplug and Shut off Vehicle, Open Drivers Door.
View attachment 235709 View attachment 235710
Can you elaborate step #4? (2nd block to flip).

121 - 140 of 180 Posts