Club Touareg Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
2014 Touareg 3.0 V6 South Africa coding

I have a 2014 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI and I have also been playing with the coding for the Cayenne shifting. I found on my latest version of VCDS some experimental settings which is the most comprehensive list I have seen so far for coding options. I think there is a bug on the dropdown menu though because if you select something it modifies the coding from 00xxxx to 0xxxxC which I can only imagine will either not be accepted or break something. I insert the codes manually instead.

My original coding was 003568 and for my first attempt I just changed the 3 to a B. I.e 00B568. It worked nicely, shifts were very different and generally less "lazy" and the gearbox has amazing engine braking. I had originally tried this because of some intermittent hard shifts from 3>2 and 2>1, almost like hamfisting a manual gearbox downshift with no throttle blip. That didn't seem to solve it. I have performed a kick-down basic settings to see if that helps so we'll see what happens.

I also tried the coding 00D568 according to the experimental menu and the shifts feel the same as the "B" coding but with much reduced engine braking. It basically doesn't do much engine braking, the same way the original 003568 Touareg coding performed.

What was interesting to note between these three codes was that the original 003568 and Cayenne 00B568 both behaved the same way in Tiptronic mode. I.e each gear had a small dot to the right of it and it would indicate to you the next recommended gear to shift up or down to. The 00D568 coding takes that function away completely and the gear is just a lonely number with nothing next to it and no next-gear cues.

Any idea what GSI might mean? I suspect it may be something to do with the gear-cue helper function and possibly misidentified in the experimental hints?

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Earlier models in VW were 001368 with no GSI in "D", and 001168 which was Rest of World, which did display the gear in "D", and in Sport mode. I would try a 003168 and a D168, and see what you get. Also report back to us how that works out. I run 001168 in my USA version 2014 V6 TDI, and the Gear Display does show as "D1" through "D8" depending on what gear the transmission is in.

The USA 1368 and 1168 shift quite soft or "smooth", compared to rest of world standards, including the downshifts for 3, 2, and 1. I have a couple of TCU's, one a 2013 Euro TCU with a 2268 flash, and another a 2014 with probably a "31XX" flash on it, for shifting mapping.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My 2013 TDI Exec came with 1368 - no gear number shown. I've been running B168 for about 6 months now and find it a definite improvement. This is the Cayenne map with gear indicator for NA. I have not tried any other codes.

B168 gives better sport mode downshifting. It also has much more crisp shifts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I thought that as well. But if you use the 00D568 code, for example, it says + GSI but it takes the indication away. My original code of 003568 says GSI as well and it shows the current gear.
I wonder if they meant not the current gear indicator, but the suggested gear shift when the tranny is operated in manual mode.
When driven in tiptronic mode, my T sometimes displays the current gear followed by an arrow and next to it the suggested gear.

Gabriel

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's most likely it. I do remember when I was playing with the Cayenne coding, one of the two, the B or the D, I can't remember which, took away the next gear "hints" in tiptronic mode.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hell, I've just remembered, from my post a few posts up, I didn't mean it takes the indication away, what I meant was exactly what you're talking about: the suggested next gear to shift into while in tiptronic. If you have the suggested gear enabled while your at a standstill or their is no suggested gear at that moment, it also shows a small dot next to the gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
B168 gives better sport mode downshifting. It also has much more crisp shifts.
My euro spec T came with 003568 coding and software version 2469. I was surprised because it had goog engine braking characteristics as it kept low gears when going downhill without upshifting, even in D mode.
This late afternoon I tried B568, and to be honest I did not find any major differences. I even drove up and down a mountain pass nearby and I noticed, when going downhill, that it was upshifting a tad earlier than with 3568 coding.
I wonder if the software version has a big role on how the tranny operates too.

Gabriel

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's been a while since my first post that started this and I've actually been running my original 3568 coding. My software version is 2530 which is apparently the latest according to the dealer I went to last week. When I was first changing these codings I thought there was a difference but to be honest I think that's more me wanting to see a change and then seeing it even if it isn't there.

One thing I did wonder is whether the Q7, Touareg and Cayenne all have the same TCM/ECU for the gearbox just with different coding? I took my Treg into the dealer to find about something with the shifting and the tech told me that me that they all have different ECU's for the gearbox. I was sceptical based on what we can do with VCDS and why would there be options to change the coding if they had no intention of doing it that way?

·
Registered
321 Posts
As far as I can tell, different TCM per engine code. You can interchange between TCM revisions that were designated to the same engine. For example I can swap a 2011 Hybrid TCM on a 2012 Hybrid but I can't swap a TCM from the gas VR6 from any years, the car will show transmission fault and go into limp mode, ask how I know... The connectors look the same but have different pin outs, so it's not just software. Q7 uses the supercharged engine, but has a different code than the one on the Hybrid, Cayenne of course has all kinds of engine choices, basically it's not a simple plug and play.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
609 Posts
I read this thread a while ago when I was still new to VCDS.
I just did this "00B568" change and whereas it may be too early to say for sure, initial tests feel like the transmission does shift better.
Time and test driving it will tell if it definitely is better. I also want to see if this effects my MPG.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did anyone attempted this mod on 2016 VR6, not TDI?
I have VR6 and am thinking about doing so, bit i have VCDS rental for 7 days, and once returned i wont be able to undo it, (well, unless i rent it again)

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
609 Posts
I did it to my '11 VR6. It seems to give the same shifting as sport mode does. It also uses more gas. I switched it back to factory for the better gas mileage. If I want to waste some gas I just switch to sport mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried this Cayenne mapping on my fixed 12' TDI a few times now and I cannot get it to stick. It does say Code Accepted, but when I go in to check it, it still says the Touareg code... Any ideas what's going on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried this Cayenne mapping on my fixed 12' TDI a few times now and I cannot get it to stick. It does say Code Accepted, but when I go in to check it, it still says the Touareg code... Any ideas what's going on?
Never mind. I updated VCDS and it worked...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys

I have a My16 150TDI in Australia.

The gearbox module is a newer type, so the old coding does not work.

I am trying to code the gearbox, from Touareg to Cayenne.

The stock code is 010100011C00840000000000000000000000000

What do i have to change to make it work in Australia, noting we have the gearbox indicator already coded in.

I tried the code on this site, 010100000E00840000000000000000000, and it was accepted but i didnt see to much change and the stop/start system, wouldn't work.

Does anyone have a code i can use.........................

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Try one of these:010500011E00840000000000000000000000000 Cayenne,
or Touareg 010500011C00840000000000000000000000000

Edit the 1 or 5 in the 4th spot is for gear display, and maybe something else so give this a try...

101 - 120 of 149 Posts