Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mark, I purchased a "new" 2016 Touareg TDI and also have a 2011 Touareg TDI that's parked while I wait for this diesel fiasco to be finalised next month. So are you saying I can replace the 2016 Touareg TCM with the parked 2011 Touareg TCM and I'll be back to pre fix on the 2016?
I never said that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm planning to acquire an extra TCM to get the fix done with, then put my original one back in. Someone on another thread did that and had success. Transmission stayed as it was prior. It would be nice if a group in one area could do this with one TCM. Just share it around, everyone puts it in for the fix, and back to their original afterwards. Anyone in Halifax area want to go in on one?
From what i gather people are saying the tcms arent that expensive...i hope someone buys a cayenne tcm and tries it...this could be the answer we all want, i strongly believe that the tcm is vastly programmed better thats why the cayenne feels more sporty

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've found a couple on eBay but I think they're Touareg ones. I'd just send it with the eBay one for the fix, and put mine back in after. Mine is in Cayenne mode anyway which as you know made a huge difference. It should go back to pre fix Cayenne mode if I stick my original one back in after. Do you think a Cayenne TDI would be even better than that? Also for the fellow up there with the 2011 and 2016, I don't think 2016 and 2011 have the same TCM. The same TCM is in 2011 and 2012, then changes for 2013, and possibly again in 2015 (can't remember 100%), can look it up on VW Parts site. If you found a compatible pre fix TCM you shouls be able to install it for pre fix shifting behaviour. 2015 and 2016 are the same I think, and possibly the same fro. 2013, but double check that for yourself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've found a couple on eBay but I think they're Touareg ones. I'd just send it with the eBay one for the fix, and put mine back in after. Mine is in Cayenne mode anyway which as you know made a huge difference. It should go back to pre fix Cayenne mode if I stick my original one back in after. Do you think a Cayenne TDI would be even better than that? Also for the fellow up there with the 2011 and 2016, I don't think 2016 and 2011 have the same TCM. The same TCM is in 2011 and 2012, then changes for 2013, and possibly again in 2015 (can't remember 100%), can look it up on VW Parts site. If you found a compatible pre fix TCM you shouls be able to install it for pre fix shifting behaviour. 2015 and 2016 are the same I think, and possibly the same fro. 2013, but double check that for yourself.
Yes you're right, not the same TCM......part number for the 2011 is 0C8 927 750 G and 0C8 927 755 R for the 2016.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes you're right, not the same TCM......part number for the 2011 is 0C8 927 750 G and 0C8 927 755 R for the 2016.
They are the same part, just a different revision. That is the G and R. The coding that you would program into it via Vag-Com would be the difference. Hope below helps.

0C8 927 750 G
0C8 927 755 R

set #1 (OC8 )
The first two digits are the specific model (chassis code) the part goes on. Sometimes it's for a specific engine or transmission and sometimes these parts are shared across models. The chassis code can be found in the 7th and 8th digit of the car VIN.

Set #2 (927)
The fourth digit is the main group. This corresponds to what ETKA section and illustration you can find the part in. The fifth and sixth digit are the subgroup.

Set #3 (750 or 755)
Digits seven, eight, and nine are random numbers.

Set #4 (G or R)
This is a version or revision code. Sometimes a revised part comes out or it's slightly different on models with different engines. A newer version doesn't mean the old version isn't the newest one that will work on your car. They will use a, b, c., etc., but also skip letters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
They are the same part, just a different revision. That is the G and R. The coding that you would program into it via Vag-Com would be the difference. Hope below helps.

0C8 927 750 G
0C8 927 755 R

set #1 (OC8 )
The first two digits are the specific model (chassis code) the part goes on. Sometimes it's for a specific engine or transmission and sometimes these parts are shared across models. The chassis code can be found in the 7th and 8th digit of the car VIN.

Set #2 (927)
The fourth digit is the main group. This corresponds to what ETKA section and illustration you can find the part in. The fifth and sixth digit are the subgroup.

Set #3 (750 or 755)
Digits seven, eight, and nine are random numbers.

Set #4 (G or R)
This is a version or revision code. Sometimes a revised part comes out or it's slightly different on models with different engines. A newer version doesn't mean the old version isn't the newest one that will work on your car. They will use a, b, c., etc., but also skip letters.
Wow, thanks for the information. Maybe you can help me out with this one then: I have a 2013 that I'm planning to keep. There are a bunch of 2011 and 2012s around here that will be sold back. Could I put a 2011 or 2012 TCM in my 2013, and send it to VW for the fix, then put my original TCM back into my 2013, and send the fixed 2011 or 2012 TCM off to the crusher? Or would that 2011 or 2012 TCM not work in my 2013? This could save people some money if they can find someone willing to do that who's just getting rid of the vehicle anyway. Otherwise I will be looking for a compatible TCM to send to get fixed and put my original in afterwards.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, thanks for the information. Maybe you can help me out with this one then: I have a 2013 that I'm planning to keep. There are a bunch of 2011 and 2012s around here that will be sold back. Could I put a 2011 or 2012 TCM in my 2013, and send it to VW for the fix, then put my original TCM back into my 2013, and send the fixed 2011 or 2012 TCM off to the crusher? Or would that 2011 or 2012 TCM not work in my 2013? This could save people some money if they can find someone willing to do that who's just getting rid of the vehicle anyway. Otherwise I will be looking for a compatible TCM to send to get fixed and put my original in afterwards.
I don't see why what you want to do would not work. If you have VCDS then you can just change the coding on the '11 or '12 model TCM to work with your '13. and the replacement TCM will be just like your '13 TCM.

I know that the coding preset in the TCM doesn't matter for a fact. I have a 2006 V10. I had the transmission rebuilt due to a issue that made me think that the torque converter was going bad and starting to cause surging issues (not the problem). Well the shop didn't tell me that they recoded the TCM, they didn't even code the TCM to a VW or Audi (I'm still not sure what code it was, because I've never seen that as an option). The transmission worked, granny shifts, holding a shift, lag and all.

So as long as the TCM is talking to the ECM and rest of the system it will work. I know this personally.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yes i strongly feel there is way more done to the cayenne...having driven both the touareg is better with the setting..but the cayenne tcm is fully different and better...i may just buy one some day

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well I wasn't able to find a used Cayenne TCM to try out, but I did pick up a Euro-spec Touareg TCM (same P/N, but presumably non-fixed). Hopefully the Cayenne coding works and it goes back to prior behavior!

I did figure out a nice little feature that VW apparently didn't neuter: while coasting or braking, a quick tap of the accelerator pedal will kick the transmission down a gear without having to be in M mode. This brings back some of the lost engine braking with a quick heel-toe while decelerating. Sometimes the programming decides the revs are too high and kicks back up a gear, but usually it will drop down and stay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes i strongly feel there is way more done to the cayenne...having driven both the touareg is better with the setting..but the cayenne tcm is fully different and better...i may just buy one some day
As far as I can tell, the Cayenne TCMs are the same as the VW parts, just with a Porsche-specific part number applied (958... etc. vs. OC8...). That said, I couldn't find any images of the equivalent module from a '13 CD to compare to the Touareg, so they may have used a different part. Even then, the difference may just be software which suggests Cayenne programming could possibly be applied to a Touareg TCM. I would love to see someone experiment with it too!

·
Registered
156 Posts
0C8927750CF

Is my part number according to VW site. Where in car is it located to double check what sticker is on it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
0C8927750CF

Is my part number according to VW site. Where in car is it located to double check what sticker is on it?
Underneath the passenger seat; you can pull up the carpet there and see the plug, but it takes some digging to get to the sticker. If you have a VCDS cable, you can scan the auto trans module which should give you the correct info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't see why what you want to do would not work. If you have VCDS then you can just change the coding on the '11 or '12 model TCM to work with your '13. and the replacement TCM will be just like your '13 TCM.

I know that the coding preset in the TCM doesn't matter for a fact. I have a 2006 V10. I had the transmission rebuilt due to a issue that made me think that the torque converter was going bad and starting to cause surging issues (not the problem). Well the shop didn't tell me that they recoded the TCM, they didn't even code the TCM to a VW or Audi (I'm still not sure what code it was, because I've never seen that as an option). The transmission worked, granny shifts, holding a shift, lag and all.

So as long as the TCM is talking to the ECM and rest of the system it will work. I know this personally.
Since I have a 2011 parked I might as well give it a try! Just want to confirm, do you think if I switch the 2011 TCM with the 2016 TCM, would I have to do any re-coding?

Coding for my 2011 and 2016 are as follows:

2011:
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: 0C8-927-750.clb
Part No SW: 0C8 927 750 G HW: 0C8 927 750 G
Component: AL1000 AISIN 001 1812
Serial number:
Coding: 001168
Shop #: WSC 37478 002 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 001001
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031.rod
VCID: 3069669B6BA1819E243-8065

2016:
Address 02: Auto Trans (J217) Labels: None
Part No SW: 0C8 927 755 R HW: 0C8 927 755
Component: AL1000 AISIN 130 3374
Coding: 010500000C008400000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_TCMAL991031 003118
ROD: EV_TCMAL991031.rod
VCID: 4089365BDB01111ED43-8015

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure about the HEX coding on the 2016. My 2006 doesn't require me to convert the code into HEX (I think that it is HEX decimal at least), I know there is a formula to do that. Didn't you say that the 2016 is from a Porsche? That engine may have different shift points due to it's power curve. I thought someone said that they liked the shifting from the Porsche TCM. I don't have VCDS for Porsche so I can't tell you what the coding is set for, but I bet it will work just fine.

I would say give it a try, you won't hurt anything. I know my TCM was way off when they rebuilt the transmission and wasn't for a V10 Touareg.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not sure about the HEX coding on the 2016. My 2006 doesn't require me to convert the code into HEX (I think that it is HEX decimal at least), I know there is a formula to do that. Didn't you say that the 2016 is from a Porsche? That engine may have different shift points due to it's power curve. I thought someone said that they liked the shifting from the Porsche TCM. I don't have VCDS for Porsche so I can't tell you what the coding is set for, but I bet it will work just fine.

I would say give it a try, you won't hurt anything. I know my TCM was way off when they rebuilt the transmission and wasn't for a V10 Touareg.
No both 11 and 16 are Tregs.....working this weekend, will see if I can switch them out on Monday. I don't want to damage the 16's carpet, do you know what the best way is to pull back the passenger side carpet to get to the TCM?

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
894 Posts
Bouncing back in to report after having changed my coding to the Cayenne code a week ago.

Indeed it is different and is almost the same as the old Touareg behavior pre-emissions fix when in Drive mode. Sport mode feels the same as always.

One behavior bugging me for a few months is a strange noise when I'm climbing through 1700-2000 RPM under low throttle input to slightly more input.

This noise sounds like a mechanical almost "grinding" sound, and it happens almost exclusively at low speed going from 1st-2nd or 2nd-3rd. Right when it shifts UP.. At no other time does this noise happen. And it will frequently "stumble" when this happens, as if it can't decide what the engine should be doing.

The noise is what I am wondering it could be. Could this be the Variable Turbo Geometry linkage or motor making noise?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Guys

I have 2015 150TDI and in the gearbox module the option does not exist to change to the Cayenne settings.

What is the correct code for hat bits for this to occur.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Guys

I have 2015 150TDI and in the gearbox module the option does not exist to change to the Cayenne settings.

What is the correct code for hat bits for this to occur.
It probably doesn't have that setting; as far as I know, the Cayenne diesel only came with the 3.0 and 8-speed transmission.

41 - 60 of 190 Posts