Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I changed mine over yesterday. What is your experience and the changes it brings?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Better brake life with increased down shifting...i have over almost 100k on these brakes.

faster shifts and just all around more sporty....throttle is more responsive and seems to be in the right gear more often.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I noticed you can change the Brake coding to Cayenne also. Have you done this hence the better brake life?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I noticed you can change the Brake coding to Cayenne also. Have you done this hence the better brake life?

no i have not...i may look into it, however i would think cayenne would use more brake pressure due to their focus on performance not economy....I am more after changing the abs module right now when it comes back from deer collision repair. I hate that you cant turn traction completely off no matter how you try

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Confirmed. This change transforms the gearbox. Just wish we figured this out 2 years ago already! Thanks for sharing @yuyu...!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just did this. And a gearbox reset.

The box feels tighter and more fun, but still the same lag after gas-brake-gas.

So maybe the only difference was the reset. I was really hoping to get rid of the lag, because every morning at an intersection I have to make a quick decision to go or stop. And there are a lot more stops now than there was with the 3.2 V6 petrol. The TDI needs more free space to join a slot from near standstill. At least if comfort is a concern, which it is with kids in the car.

·
Registered
478 Posts

So maybe the only difference was the reset. I was really hoping to get rid of the lag, because every morning at an intersection I have to make a quick decision to go or stop. And there are a lot more stops now than there was with the 3.2 V6 petrol. The TDI needs more free space to join a slot from near standstill. At least if comfort is a concern, which it is with kids in the car.
that has nothing to do with transmission its the brake throttle sensor. The stock mapping does not allow brake and gas at the same time. switching back and forth fast is a safety. Thankfully all gone with my tune....i need the left foot brake to build boost on launch lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
okay, I couldn't wait... My module accepted the Cayenne B0 coding without any issues. Went out for a drive and these are what I observed.

1. shifting point is higher now, very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear, it is now shifting around 3k rpm with light throttle.

2. gas-brake-gas transition is much better. (Remember accelerating from an empty stop sign? yep) Clutch grabs much quicker. There used to be a 1 second pause when stepping on the gas after braking. In the past, I could apply more pedal pressure to 'force' the clutch to grab, but that resulted in 1 gear kick down and sudden acceleration which is not necessary nor very comfortable. It is now easier to feed the power in.

3. too much engine brake, or maybe the transmission is trying to learn something...

4. point 4 is the reason I decided to try this. I recently installed a chip and smaller pulley, with added torque, my transmission shifts funny at red line. It always pauses, throwing me forward, and then the whole car, not kidding, jumps forward after grabbing the next gear. Now it shifts like DSG at redline, not as quick as DSG but definitely faster than before. Crisp and smooth. I'm not sure what the new coding does its magic, I suppose might still be improved clutch clamping speed, or simply just stopped waiting 1 second before doing anything... It surprised me since I wasn't expecting to solve this problem with a simple coding.

This should also improve VR6 and TDI, who doesn't want a faster transmission?

as always, try at your own risk! I only drove 5 minutes with new coding, I will report back for long term effect.
I changed byte 1 from 02 to 05 to have the gear display on my 2016 Touareg TDI, would like to try the Cayenne coding. However, when I go into the transmission module, then long coding helper this is what I have, no drop down menu at the bottom, any advise? Please and Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
I logged into mine the other day, after the emissions fix. Audi/ VW updated the trans, and the option no longer exists. Perhaps after Ross-Tech gets some logs from the new coding numbers we'll get the updated Byte modification information.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I logged into mine the other day, after the emissions fix. Audi/ VW updated the trans, and the option no longer exists. Perhaps after Ross-Tech gets some logs from the new coding numbers we'll get the updated Byte modification information.
That must be it then because I have a 2016 with the fix!:frown2:

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
891 Posts
I just looked at my trans setting, and I was able to get into the screen showing the option code for the Porsche .

I changed my Bit 4-7 setting to B0 Model: Porsche Cayenne (9P) .

There is definitely a difference. I not not sure if the turbo lag at low RPM is better, but in regular D (Drive) mode, it seems to more closely resemble sport mode. In sport mode, it still holds higher RPM's, but engine braking is significantly better!

I had the emission fix done back in December. The turbo lag seemed worse especially when cold. Wasn't to happy with it but hey, $7000 plus $1500, right?? SO it seems that this new mode is an improvement. I'll drive it like this for a week to see if it grows on me.

I had to update my VCDS to the latest version. It took about 7 minutes. The new version is shown in one of the pictures.

·
Registered
340 Posts

just to keep a log here (since I tend to forget thing...)
after 3 months of driving, the gearbox would not rev as high as I first changed the coding, but the gas-brake-gas transition is still very satisfactory.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I played around with the transmission coding in an attempt to restore the pre-fix behavior. I had set the "B1" Cayenne code before getting the emissions fix and still had it afterward in VCDS, but the shift character was totally different. It must get overridden by whatever new programming VW includes in the fix procedure. I tried 11, 13, 15, B1, B3, and B5 and didn't feel much difference between them. The Cayenne codes might hold gears a little longer and feel like they have slightly quicker upshifts, but it could just be placebo. None of the codes brought back the better engine braking characteristics from before the fix, which is what I miss the most. Looks like it'll be an aftermarket tune for me! (eventually)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I played around with the transmission coding in an attempt to restore the pre-fix behavior. I had set the "B1" Cayenne code before getting the emissions fix and still had it afterward in VCDS, but the shift character was totally different. It must get overridden by whatever new programming VW includes in the fix procedure. I tried 11, 13, 15, B1, B3, and B5 and didn't feel much difference between them. The Cayenne codes might hold gears a little longer and feel like they have slightly quicker upshifts, but it could just be placebo. None of the codes brought back the better engine braking characteristics from before the fix, which is what I miss the most. Looks like it'll be an aftermarket tune for me! (eventually)
Good luck they reprogrammed your tcm...no one tunes aisin transmissions, this has been spoken about many times and no one is doing it, the security coding is far to dense to make it profitable for people to do it.

Really your only options would be an older pre fix tcm...or what i would do is a cayenne tcm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good luck they reprogrammed your tcm...no one tunes aisin transmissions, this has been spoken about many times and no one is doing it, the security coding is far to dense to make it profitable for people to do it.

Really your only options would be an older pre fix tcm...or what i would do is a cayenne tcm
From what I read, it sounds like JR is close to having a solution for the Aisin. Not urgent as the car is driveable, but it was much more pleasant before. I'm sure I'll get used to the new behavior in a few thousand miles!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm planning to acquire an extra TCM to get the fix done with, then put my original one back in. Someone on another thread did that and had success. Transmission stayed as it was prior. It would be nice if a group in one area could do this with one TCM. Just share it around, everyone puts it in for the fix, and back to their original afterwards. Anyone in Halifax area want to go in on one?

·
Registered
125 Posts

Mark, I purchased a "new" 2016 Touareg TDI and also have a 2011 Touareg TDI that's parked while I wait for this diesel fiasco to be finalised next month. So are you saying I can replace the 2016 Touareg TCM with the parked 2011 Touareg TCM and I'll be back to pre fix on the 2016?

21 - 40 of 190 Posts