Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I was wondering if it would be possible to apply the Porsche Cayenne's transmission map or setup to my 2014 Touareg V6TDI. My dad has a 2012 Cayenne Diesel and it feels very different due to the gearbox. Especially between 2nd and 3rd gear, as well as the pull away. To be honest I wonder if the Cayenne is not equipped with a ZF unit compared with the Aisin unit in my Touareg - which will only be my logical explanation. But as I understand both cars has exactly the same drivetrain?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi.
I was wondering if it would be possible to apply the Porsche Cayenne's transmission map or setup to my 2014 Touareg V6TDI. My dad has a 2012 Cayenne Diesel and it feels very different due to the gearbox. Especially between 2nd and 3rd gear, as well as the pull away. To be honest I wonder if the Cayenne is not equipped with a ZF unit compared with the Aisin unit in my Touareg - which will only be my logical explanation. But as I understand both cars has exactly the same drivetrain?
Looks like it is the same transmission. Refer to wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Cayenne

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to keep this thread alive. I traded my 2012 TDI Executive because I couldn't tolerate the transmission calibration. If I was coasting to a stop and the light turned green pressing the accelerator resulted in absolutely zero forward propulsion. There was a significant delay while the transmission downshifted from 5th through several gears to 2nd and then finally pulled away. It drove me berserk especially when trying to nail a gap in stop and go traffic. Hit the gas, nothing happens. Extremely frustrating.

Long story short, I may be getting a 2016 Touareg again and I'm interested in whether or not this issue was resolved or is resolvable.

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would like to keep this thread alive. I traded my 2012 TDI Executive because I couldn't tolerate the transmission calibration. If I was coasting to a stop and the light turned green pressing the accelerator resulted in absolutely zero forward propulsion. There was a significant delay while the transmission downshifted from 5th through several gears to 2nd and then finally pulled away. It drove me berserk especially when trying to nail a gap in stop and go traffic. Hit the gas, nothing happens. Extremely frustrating.

Long story short, I may be getting a 2016 Touareg again and I'm interested in whether or not this issue was resolved or is resolvable.

- Patrick
I've never experienced anything like that in Touaregs from MY 2012 to 2016. If I did I'd be really unhappy too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My 2015 can have that issue in D mode but in sport mode it drives just like the Porsche as far as I could tell. Does the 2012 have the sport option?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've not had the opportunity to drive the diesel Cayenne, however I can say there is a noticeable difference in gearing when you update the transmission code in VCDS to display gears in the MFD. It also handles deceleration very differently.

As I recall, the factory coding for a 2014 Touareg TDI (North America Spec) is 001368 whereas the gear display coding is 001168.

The question I have is if you make that change, can you tell us if there is similarities to the Cayenne? Of course, it could be that the pepper uses a different control module - I haven't looked that up yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've not had the opportunity to drive the diesel Cayenne, however I can say there is a noticeable difference in gearing when you update the transmission code in VCDS to display gears in the MFD. It also handles deceleration very differently.
I had read somewhere in here that this was probably a misconception and actually due to the fact that most people perform the transmission reset as part of the procedure, so it just SEEMED different after all was said and done, and the MDF gear display option had nothing to do with it. The reset supposedly isn't needed IIRC.

I have no personal experience, just recollection what I saw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this thread is somewhat dated but has anyone made headway on 2012 TDi using Cayenne transmission shift logic/module change?

Thanks,

j

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Over the years i dont think have never seen another thread on this.

Do a gearbox reset.

Turn the ignition on but don't start th car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal, turn the ignition off and remove the key.

The gearbox will relearn how you drive.

All owners should do this from time to time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think you guys may want to ask tdimark69, his mod line lists a Cayenne trans map or his tuner buzzken.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Emailed Buzzken. They are unaware of transferring shift points or maps from Cayenne transmission to Touareg.... oh well, guess we live with Sport mode and Standard Mode.

·
Registered
300 Posts
okay, I couldn't wait... My module accepted the Cayenne B0 coding without any issues. Went out for a drive and these are what I observed.

1. shifting point is higher now, very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear, it is now shifting around 3k rpm with light throttle.

2. gas-brake-gas transition is much better. (Remember accelerating from an empty stop sign? yep) Clutch grabs much quicker. There used to be a 1 second pause when stepping on the gas after braking. In the past, I could apply more pedal pressure to 'force' the clutch to grab, but that resulted in 1 gear kick down and sudden acceleration which is not necessary nor very comfortable. It is now easier to feed the power in.

3. too much engine brake, or maybe the transmission is trying to learn something...

4. point 4 is the reason I decided to try this. I recently installed a chip and smaller pulley, with added torque, my transmission shifts funny at red line. It always pauses, throwing me forward, and then the whole car, not kidding, jumps forward after grabbing the next gear. Now it shifts like DSG at redline, not as quick as DSG but definitely faster than before. Crisp and smooth. I'm not sure what the new coding does its magic, I suppose might still be improved clutch clamping speed, or simply just stopped waiting 1 second before doing anything... It surprised me since I wasn't expecting to solve this problem with a simple coding.

This should also improve VR6 and TDI, who doesn't want a faster transmission?

as always, try at your own risk! I only drove 5 minutes with new coding, I will report back for long term effect.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, I couldn't wait... My module accepted the Cayenne B0 coding without any issues. Went out for a drive and these are what I observed.

1. shifting point is higher now, very noticeable in 1st and 2nd gear, it is now shifting around 3k rpm with light throttle.

2. gas-brake-gas transition is much better. (Remember accelerating from an empty stop sign? yep) Clutch grabs much quicker. There used to be a 1 second pause when stepping on the gas after braking. In the past, I could apply more pedal pressure to 'force' the clutch to grab, but that resulted in 1 gear kick down and sudden acceleration which is not necessary nor very comfortable. It is now easier to feed the power in.

3. too much engine brake, or maybe the transmission is trying to learn something...

4. point 4 is the reason I decided to try this. I recently installed a chip and smaller pulley, with added torque, my transmission shifts funny at red line. It always pauses, throwing me forward, and then the whole car, not kidding, jumps forward after grabbing the next gear. Now it shifts like DSG at redline, not as quick as DSG but definitely faster than before. Crisp and smooth. I'm not sure what the new coding does its magic, I suppose might still be improved clutch clamping speed, or simply just stopped waiting 1 second before doing anything... It surprised me since I wasn't expecting to solve this problem with a simple coding.

as always, try at your own risk! I only drove 5 minutes with new coding, I will report back for long term effect.
Great work!
Please take us through the menus step by step. My VCDS menu seems different than yours?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Try a gearbox reset

Ignition on
floor the throttle and hold 15 seconds
release throttle
ignition off
key out

·
Registered
460 Posts

been using this code for over a year..works wonders on the tdi

1 - 20 of 147 Posts