Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
09 TDi
536 Posts
Diesels still have very valuable cats/DPFs to steal. Crackheads stole the DPF assembly from our 6.7 power stroke, cut wires for sensors etc. Was around a 12k insurance bill.
im thinking why not strap an envelope to the cat and label it "crack"...save everyone a world of trouble

·
Registered
468 Posts
put a TDI badge on the car...
You got beef against TDI😤😏, keep the stinkin' cat thieves to the gas side. TDI have much more expensive cat system, now we would not like to make them millionaires on one heist....😁😁, they have to work for it...

·
Registered
261 Posts
No one is interested in wheels these days.
The cats are way easier to steal and launder.
I'd say about 1.5 years ago, 9/10 cars I saw on the side of the Atlanta Metro highways (due to flats, stalls, no gas, accidents, whatever) had no wheels on them.

It's my understanding that if a car was left there for whatever reason, within hours the wheels would be stolen. And I'm not talking expensive wheels. Just basic stock wheels. They all had resale value...and no serial numbers. Well, the tires have serial numbers, but no one keeps up with these.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, the trend seemed to end as suddenly as it began. I imagine that it was a pretty basic police operation to setup a few bait cars and wait.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Last month, I rented a car in Bozeman. "Brand new" the rental car told me as he handed me the keys to one of my most detested cars of all time, a Nissan Altima. The car actually had 900 miles on it and I immediately noticed a vibration on the interstate. When I got to my hotel in Bozeman, 20 miles from the airport, I happened to notice the tires were completely bald. Rental company replaced my car but obviously got screwed for not checking the return carefully enough. When I rent in Seattle, it is apparently worth the expense to rental companies to pay someone to sit in a car blocking the exit, despite spike strips at the exit gates 20' earlier.

Every generation seems to have it's own issues. When I started driving, it was your car stereo that would be stolen; we eventually had detachable faceplate on those that we would carry with us. Radar detector theft was a huge issue as well. Once we go all-electric, I'm sure someone will come up with a way to take a battery pack in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
5 minutes? I bet the Russians will manage that in half the time if their Touareg headlight theft speed (a few seconds without even lifting the hood) is anything to go by!

·
Registered
261 Posts
True.

Don’t forget about CDs. If you went to the bar/club/pub and left your 200 slot CD case visible, it was all but guaranteed to be stolen. Back then, CDs were $17 plus tax. That could be easily $3,000+ worth of music gone. Hell, I heard of windows being broken for 2-3 CDs.

A few years later it was don’t leave your MP3 player on your seat.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,040 Posts
All thieves should have their hands removed. Change my mind.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
582 Posts
Honda Elements are the car of choice in Omaha. Over 45 cats stolen in one month. Takes less than 20 seconds to cut out the cat. Cut right behind the upstream sensor and after downstream. Neighbors security camera caught the action before theives sped away. The speed of the theft was impressive. Unless i was lying in wait could not have gotten out of the house with gun fast enough to do a damn thing but shoot in the air in frustration.

·
Registered
09 TDi
536 Posts
I have a couple of unstolen cats here and the market is quite interesting. Many states, including here in Florida, won't buy a cat without SOME paperwork, plus pics of you and what you're driving, plus your DNA etc etc. and they have to send an efile summary to the state within 24 hours.

Not to say there aren't work arounds, states with easier laws, buyers who don't care or buyers in states who will pay for shipping in places with easier rules.

Ive had offers of [email protected] picked up (guy never showed) to $75 with paid shipping but my sense is they are worth closer to [email protected] Still researching but thought I'd share.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Things will change when the right politician or law enforcement officer has theirs stolen.

Unfortunately, for many, it’s not a problem that needs to be addressed until it becomes a problem for them personally.

·
Registered
09 TDi
536 Posts
easier said than done. having laws on the books doesn't stop the problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
easier said than done. having laws on the books doesn't stop the problem.
No crime is ever completely stopped…ever. But, laws do help lower the rates of occurrence.

Hell, the ultimate crime has been illegal in every civilization known to man, pre-dating history, and having the ultimate penalty upon conviction. Yet murders still happen daily. But, you can rest assured that fewer murders happen because of laws.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,040 Posts
Again; once people start losing hands, or at least fingers per incident, theft should go down somewhat.
Right now it’s essentially catch and release.

·
Registered
09 TDi
536 Posts
The crooks will soon be training little robots to do the job while they hide round the corner!
theyre doing that now...only they call them juveniles not robots

·
Registered
261 Posts
Again; once people start losing hands, or at least fingers per incident, theft should go down somewhat.
Reality is somewhere between the two extremes that you present.

Hopefully you’ll agree that we have evolved past the Code of Hammurabi.

Everyone is a badass behind a keyboard.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Let's start off with less punitive measures. Weld the cat on the thief's ass as a reminder to all and if he does not refrain then fingers and hands can be on the menu.:unsure:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts