Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
Hearing so many cat thefts around here these days, anyone got a good method to protect them? ('14 V6).
Cheers

Simon
Berkshire, England

·
Registered
242 Posts
Get dogs....I really don't know, depends how they are removing them, if they are unbolting them you could try and replace the hardware with an unusual fastener they wouldn't have the tool for (looking at you triple square) or have the bolts welded on (but would require cutting off if ever needed to), if they are cutting the section of exhaust out to steal the cat, well not much you can do about that unless you weld a couple tabs on the cat and find a way to bolt and lock to the frame.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thieves use a battery operated saw or disc grinder and are in and out in a couple of minutes.

They like 4x4s for their ground clearance.

In the US you could probably shoot them

Sadly we're not allowed to do that in the UK.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thieves use a battery operated saw or disc grinder and are in and out in a couple of minutes.

LOL! Depends on which US state you reside.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,033 Posts
This is why I remove my cats and sell them for $$$. Keeps you ahead of the crack heads and puts money in your pocket. ☺

Reactions: C-ya

·
Registered
468 Posts

Waaaa they are that desperate? Man what has the world come to😪🥶. I thought running away with set of all your wheels was a trick, but this takes the cake.

·
Registered
09 TDi
534 Posts
What happened to the good old days when they just stole your fancy wheels or battery

·
Registered
75 Posts
What happened to the good old days when they just stole your fancy wheels or battery
I've had license plates, wheels, gas cans, gas, and radio antennas stolen off my cars. Hell, I was accused of stealing door panels from a car that I test drove. I've known people who had their cats stolen, but that was in Phoenix and that's a place where many strange things happen.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,033 Posts
how much did you get for them?
I got $650 for my last cat. Prices are insane right now. I got $370 for my TDI’s DPF a year ago.

·
Registered
09 TDi
534 Posts
I've had license plates, wheels, gas cans, gas, and radio antennas stolen off my cars. Hell, I was accused of stealing door panels from a car that I test drove. I've known people who had their cats stolen, but that was in Phoenix and that's a place where many strange things happen.
I spent time in Moscow in the early 90s and at night our host/driver would remove the wiper arms and distributor cap as a minimum. Then again he often removed the electric meter before going out since apparently they grew legs if you didn't.

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,033 Posts
Doesn't matter as long as you know where to hide the body...
I’ve got a real nice conveyor-fed wood chipper.

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
09 TDi
534 Posts
I was going on say this s getting off topic....but it really isn't lol

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,033 Posts
put a TDI badge on the car...
Diesels still have very valuable cats/DPFs to steal. Crackheads stole the DPF assembly from our 6.7 power stroke, cut wires for sensors etc. Was around a 12k insurance bill.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts