Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2016 Touareg Luxury 3.0 TDI Malone stage 2 with delete
89 Posts
I usually have to turn the engine off at drive thru when ordering. You never realize it from inside the vehicle but outside the clatter is real! Hadn’t even considered the sound would ever be different. I mentioned in another post that the Touareg when stock was almost dangerous trying to pull out or make a left through traffic because until it got to about 2000 rpm it was super slow. Tuned I don’t notice it nearly as much but it’s faster without flooring it from a dead stop (unless launching). Before it was just scary slow off the line. The low end lack of power could be the different turbo I think I have a gtb2260vlk or something like that but I think it’s different from the 2011-? engines

· Registered
558 Posts
I usually have to turn the engine off at drive thru when ordering. You never realize it from inside the vehicle but outside the clatter is real! Hadn’t even considered the sound would ever be different. I mentioned in another post that the Touareg when stock was almost dangerous trying to pull out or make a left through traffic because until it got to about 2000 rpm it was super slow. Tuned I don’t notice it nearly as much but it’s faster without flooring it from a dead stop (unless launching). Before it was just scary slow off the line. The low end lack of power could be the different turbo I think I have a gtb2260vlk or something like that but I think it’s different from the 2011-? engines
yah the cata is for sure quieter at idle less diesely sound...the cnrb is much more pronounced but yes nothing inside noise wise of course.
Yah the off idle response is terrible on these fixed cnrb engines...yes the cata has a 2056 turbo so it will spool faster, my 12 tuned is absolutely instant power off the bottom with no lag. makes me wish my 14 had a cata....we will see if the tune helps enough lol

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Interesting, our Canadian ‘12 Tdi with the CATA engine is quite quiet outside, particularly when idling….
And yes, the CATA has a slightly smaller turbo that comes on much sooner (develops the same torque as a CNRB, but at considerably lower revs) than the CNRB turbo, giving it a much more useable powerband.
We love our CATA, very peppy and capable, for a stock, almost 3 ton diesel vehicle!

· Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
My 2015 CNRB is damn near silent when idling, inside and out. Everyone is surprised when I tell them it’s a diesel, they say it’s so quiet.

Reactions: Tazard

· Registered
516 Posts
I use to own a 2009 cata.. malone tuned and deleted.. and now a TCM tuned only 2016 cnrb.. I find the sound kindof similar on mine. Growl-y and a bit chattery but not too loud at idle. I use optilube lubricity boosters so that helps a little. As for the difference in the way they drive..I feel my 2016 is every bit as responsive as my 2009 was at launch. The 6 speed was smoother under full throttle than this 8 is. But the 8 speed is smoother in everyday driving. These diesels never do good on a slam the throttle to the ground from stop. You have to either preload a launch or roll onto the throttle. A ready even increase in throttle pressure works best in mine. I have not launched it at higher ROM’s yet. I really enjoy my CNRB from a stop. Plenty responsive. Rarely lags unless I stab the throttle too quickly. I think that maybe the computer switching to kick-down mode and it’s got a slight delay. Definitely avoid that on launches. Just thought I would share my personal experiences.

· Registered
558 Posts
My 2015 CNRB is damn near silent when idling, inside and out. Everyone is surprised when I tell them it’s a diesel, they say it’s so quiet.
im not saying its loud per say...but my cata is quieter for sure and its higher mileage

Reactions: jrm

· Registered
516 Posts
I owned both of mine at the same time but never compared the two. But the Malone tuned one was gurgley and throaty exhaust-wise so it wouldn’t have been a good stock comparison. I wish I still had my 09. I loved that machine!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new here- am looking at picking up a used Treg, been over at tdi club forever but wanted to ask a few questions regarding 3 used TDI Trigs im looking at. A 2011, 2013 and 2016 (didn't know vw made a 2016 TDI!! cool! question is, how are the later 2 cam chain cnrb engines holding up in the 2013+ as those are the ones im leaning towards? Cold starts has a gigantic amount of chain noise on both, way more than a beat down 1990's Toyota 22RE-- a full 2 seconds, I searched and most said they all do it? All 3 have between 100 and 130k on them, and are priced ok'ish for todays world. Im sure the diff and trans oil hasnt ever been changed, that bottom fill looks fun.
Thanks guys!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts