Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Airstream 25' trailer that I tow. I am about to leave on a long 5 month trip and have to decide how to store the generator. I tow it with my 16' gasser.

My intial thinking was to put the Honda Generator in the rear between twin beds. Each night, I would move it to the rear of the Treg. No doubt, a PIA. I would prefer to travel with the 2200e in the rear of my Treg. Not have to move it every night. But I am also thinking about tongue weight. By putting it behind the axils, it will reduce my tongue wt.

I am not loading up the Treg with heavy gear. Almost all our stuff is in the trailer.

Any thoughts and experience?

E

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Load everything up as you would like to carry it and then check your tongue weight to see if it's within limits.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,092 Posts
Would the generator fit in the rear passenger footwell? If so, use large plastic bags to protect the upholstery.

The towing balance is best with heavy stuff in the towcar and lighter stuff in the trailer.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The generator is probably what, 100lbs? I wouldn't fret over it. Put it in the back of your Touareg to give the tow vehicle just a touch more weight.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would the generator fit in the rear passenger footwell? If so, use large plastic bags to protect the upholstery.

The towing balance is best with heavy stuff in the towcar and lighter stuff in the trailer.
What foot well?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
990 Posts
I put my 3500w generator in my airstream, strapping it down so it sits between the two axles. It’s about 85lbs. I installed two nearly hidden hooks on either wall so I can strap it down using a ratchet strap. Doesn’t move at all, and doesn’t effect tongue weight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a similar generator that I have carried across the country in the back of the Treg. My generator is an LP / Gasoline (with no gasoline ever in it) as I hate to have gas in the car.
I power the generator with the second LP tank on the 16' Scamp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts