Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone interested in a CarPlay / Android Auto adapter box group buy?

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is the only "Adapter box" that I could find: Naviplus There online store puts it about $650 USD. The rest of the units are "head units". I would be highly interested in a GB on the Naviplus, but not a head unit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, but I thought this was almost the only real option. The Naviplus.
But CarPlay would be my joint.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, but still waiting for a few more Guinea Pigs before I give my display unit a lobotomy. I've gotten pretty intimate with their directions so I'm confidant that I can do this but...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a few other options beside Naviplus. Which is why I’m asking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check this thread for details about a recent install https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/naviplus-apple-carplay-conversion-and-android-auto.290067/
Good reports on the outcome and not too difficult
I love that "connections etc in the instructions which don’t match anything you receive". Either way it can't be that difficult especially if others have successfully completed the installs.

Keep in mind that is the Naviplus version. Not sure if the other brands will have better or worse instructions.

NTDI, are you pursuing a group buy? I know that I would be in on one. My wifes Atlas has the Android Auto. It is a must have for this techie.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,806 Posts
I would like to get a group buy together.
I have already done you the favour, by paving the way via this eBay vendor: auto-accessories2011 on eBay

Their product is: Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto GPS for Volkswagen Touareg 2010-2017 8 inch | eBay

Their shop will provide you with MASSIVE discount on their listed price, if you mention that you are a member of ClubTouareg.com

Others have already communicated with the vendor, and once advised that they are indeed members here, their pricing has altered significantly. This is a much simpler, and easier way, as opposed to doing a Group Buy (I have organised those before on other items with another interest group). trust me, it is fraught with difficulties and problems. This way is so much easier.

Contact the vendor....ask them for their best price as a member here...and see how much of a difference it is compared to their standard ebay listing price.

Full disclosure: I am not receiving any financial incentive, payment or otherwise for organising this.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will they do any software updates or customizations? For example microphone button activating Siri?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,806 Posts
The OEM microphone works as normal, as I understand it.

Ask the seller any concerns you may have.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The OEM microphone works as normal, as I understand it.

Ask the seller any concerns you may have.
I have asked the seller. There are certain funtions as I understand it that do not work correctly (or as they should work). Most of these appear to be software issues that can be fixed via some software updates.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,806 Posts
What are those functions you are referring to?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going by what people have heard/posted after installing the Joy Auto box. But the big ones to me are the track forward and backward, microphone button (this should/could operate Siri), however I guess it still operates the built in voice recognition. Another one is the ability to have it ignore phone calls. In my case I use Bluetooth headset most of the time. I suspect there is a way to program it to default to either the Joy Auto mic, the Touareg Mic or to your phone/Bluetooth source.

They probably would have to add some extra code to fix these things. Also in my case I have Dynaudio which means I need to deliver sound to the RNS850 either over Bluetooth or via the digital USB cable and not the analog input as I'm fairly sure it doesn't decode that to a digital signal that can be mapped to the Dynaudio.

Also in terms of the wireless it is unclear to me if it uses Bluetooth for the audio or Wifi to connect to the iPhone. I guess Apple supports both ways. I would prefer an option to either if one doesn't exist already. Though for me a wired connection to my phone would be best with a Bluetooth connection to the RNS850. Not sure if they presently support that configuration... it should all be software to implement those features...

Also I'd like to know we can get updates etc.. in the future to fix any other bugs people find in using them. Most companies offer occasional software updates, so that would be nice too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have already done you the favour, by paving the way via this eBay vendor: auto-accessories2011 on eBay

Their product is: Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto GPS for Volkswagen Touareg 2010-2017 8 inch | eBay

Their shop will provide you with MASSIVE discount on their listed price, if you mention that you are a member of ClubTouareg.com

Others have already communicated with the vendor, and once advised that they are indeed members here, their pricing has altered significantly. This is a much simpler, and easier way, as opposed to doing a Group Buy (I have organised those before on other items with another interest group). trust me, it is fraught with difficulties and problems. This way is so much easier.

Contact the vendor....ask them for their best price as a member here...and see how much of a difference it is compared to their standard ebay listing price.

Full disclosure: I am not receiving any financial incentive, payment or otherwise for organising this.
Thanks Steve for the link.

For those interested in going this route... You can take the ".au" off the address to get to the US version of eBay add/seller.

Wireless Apple Carplay Android Auto GPS for Volkswagen Touareg 2010-2017 8 inch | eBay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts