Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Touareg & caravan lovers,
Moved up to Touareg as tow vehicle and need to install an Aero brand wind deflector to these longitudinal roof racks ,may I have some advice regarding this?
Some may suggest it’s a waste of effort for the returns expected, not me though as we’re so content with the deflector advantages,we wouldn’t tow without one fitted, Territory went so well and before that was the ford BA,Subaru all the way back to Mazda in 1985!

Presently have a front mounted solar panel which needs deflector to prevent insect strike in addition to improved handling behaviour.
This aero deflector requires additional widthways rack for fitting,though I’d check with your advice first?
Hopefully I am not just single minded here!
cheer,
Mick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry cant help mine had the cross bars on when i bought it hated the wind noise so removed them

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again,
Well apparently I'm on my own with wanting to fit a wind deflector,I've ended using my pro rack HD roof rack (single one). Once fitted to the longitudinal roof bars the whole thing clears the sky roof which was great,wouldn't want to bugger that up on the roof racks!
Just fitted one stainless plate 4mm with hole drilled for C/K hex key head bolt on each rack fitting , easy as I'm able to slide the wind deflector
along to suit and tighten.
Very secure arrangement to suit my solar panels (insect free) and keep the van clean together with so much better vehicle handling, picture to follow.Thanks for your thoughts and potential good deeds!
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hi Mick,

Very interested on a feedback on your opinion of the wind deflector when used on your previous vehicle, presume you are talking about the Aeroplus from Purpleline, realise it's too soon for a Touareg comparison but future feedbacks with thre Touareg would be good.
You did not mention any fuel economy benefits, have you done any fuel consumption tests with the Territory and were there any there for you?

The Purpleline promotions show there are car/van stability benefits, which seem realistic and logical but may be tow vehicle specific, what is your seat-of-pants experience, probably too soon to judge but seeing the Touareg is not all that far different to the Territory in over all body shape can give us your opinion using the deflector with the Territory.

The reason I am interested is we are thinking of doing an extended trip to the West this year, possibly taking in the proposed '20 Muster (if it ends up being held there), so anything which would help the towing experience and any possibly fuel consumption benefit is of interest to me.

We will be towing our 20' Trackmaster Off-road 3200+kgs van.

TonyB

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Tony B
We did the trip from Melb across the the Nullarbor and up as far as Exmouth last year (13,500 km round trip)

Our van is a 23’6 Traveller at 3380 ATM on a Simplicity suspension so it sits at just over 3.m, 3.15 to top of air con so wind resistance is quite high

Sat on 95 - 105 ( true speed not speedo) and had absolutely no issues even though my luck is that I always seem to be able to pick the direction of headwinds on the day that I travel

I did look into the Purpleline but got nervous on reading the fine print in the manual that it is limited to 80 km/hr. I would have trouble keeping the Treg that slow

I do have Dexter DSC fitted to the van and the only time I notice any movement is if a larger flat nose truck passes me from the rear ( not very often that this happens). This is the case of any flat nose truck even if a Budget 3 ton rental or a triple trailer road train. The sloping bonnets do not seem as noticeable so not sure if a Treg trailer stability or Dexter are working and doing their designed tasks.

Trucks going in the opposite direction do not seem to cause the same problem

Fred K

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good evening caravan lovers,
Update , Touareg is now sporting a shiny new VW genuine towbar and is having a sleep over at Opposite lock in preparation for tomorrows fitting with shiny new red arc brake controller,better then Christmas!
I've received and fitted a very sturdy mounting fixture for the Aero wind deflector,surprisingly was able to fit the mounting hardware allowing the sun roof to completely open both the glass as well,according to all the warnings I've read...it can't be done!,well I've succeeded,very pleased I am.
Additional 8mm cable via ignition/relay for fridge power.
This weekend might be the maiden voyage for this combination,looking forward to that.
Pictures to follow shortly.
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good luck with your first trip I will be interested in your assessment of your setup and how it performs I have used a ford territory for towing previously but the Touareg is far superior in everyway
Steve

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mick,

Very interested on a feedback on your opinion of the wind deflector when used on your previous vehicle, presume you are talking about the Aeroplus from Purpleline, realise it's too soon for a Touareg comparison but future feedbacks with thre Touareg would be good.
You did not mention any fuel economy benefits, have you done any fuel consumption tests with the Territory and were there any there for you?

The Purpleline promotions show there are car/van stability benefits, which seem realistic and logical but may be tow vehicle specific, what is your seat-of-pants experience, probably too soon to judge but seeing the Touareg is not all that far different to the Territory in over all body shape can give us your opinion using the deflector with the Territory.

The reason I am interested is we are thinking of doing an extended trip to the West this year, possibly taking in the proposed '20 Muster (if it ends up being held there), so anything which would help the towing experience and any possibly fuel consumption benefit is of interest to me.

We will be towing our 20' Trackmaster Off-road 3200+kgs van.

TonyB
Morning TonyB,
Yes, Aero plus wind deflector together with pro rack , Touareg is in Opposite Lock today and once all together again I’ll post more pictures.
Fuel economy was marginal however, I believe the handling was the big improvement and the absence of insect strike.
Solar panel on my van requires the wind deflector to remain insect clean.
More photos soon.
cheers, Mick.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Touareg/caravan nears,
Today’s trip was to Rutherglen (where they have nice wine),installed the purple-line Aero plus wind deflector/air foil and used the recommended towing mirrors (fit on the car mirror-Aero type).
I had trouble fitting these mirrors because of the ridge on the Touareg mirrors, resolved by using 5mm splined (fly wire screen stuff),this provided a parallel surface for the clamps to securely tighten onto, so easy!
I checked the twelve pin connector and found the auto sparky had used 8 for + and 10 for -,just changed over to 10&9 to match the van, all good.
I then measured the vans parallel stance,600mm on each corner, couldn’t ask better than that.This dropped the cars rear by 40mm,air suspension pumped back to level,how great are these Touareg!
Driving to Rutherglen was a dream run, despite the dodgy road surface that air suspension soaked up all bumps and bounces!
Today’s weather is the first day we’ve seen a blue sky after three weeks of smoke!
Such a lovely direction to take the van , solar panel didn’t move an inch and remained insect free due to the air foil.
Acceleration is both smooth and powerful despite our 2400kg Evernew, this van now tows so well and more so particularly towed by the Touareg.
Interested to find that during towing the van , the Touareg wouldn’t go past 7th gear presumably because of the smart tow tow bar connecting.
1CE751DB-8063-4BB8-9E85-B4BA740599A4.jpeg
Heather and I have successful bonded with this Touareg/Evernew combination.
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mick
With the mirrors I found that swapping the pads for the V shape they fit either of the ridge and lock on very tight and do not move at all

1578724126194.jpeg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Afternoon Fred,
Yes,I suspected there was the suitably designed shoes for this,how easy are these available?
mick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends where you are located

I got mine in CLAYTON south where I had my fridge repaired

You can Google Milenco V Pads and many options

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dear Touareg/caravan nears,
Today’s trip was to Rutherglen (where they have nice wine),installed the purple-line Aero plus wind deflector/air foil and used the recommended towing mirrors (fit on the car mirror-Aero type).
I had trouble fitting these mirrors because of the ridge on the Touareg mirrors, resolved by using 5mm splined (fly wire screen stuff),this provided a parallel surface for the clamps to securely tighten onto, so easy!
I checked the twelve pin connector and found the auto sparky had used 8 for + and 10 for -,just changed over to 10&9 to match the van, all good.
I then measured the vans parallel stance,600mm on each corner, couldn’t ask better than that.This dropped the cars rear by 40mm,air suspension pumped back to level,how great are these Touareg!
Driving to Rutherglen was a dream run, despite the dodgy road surface that air suspension soaked up all bumps and bounces!
Today’s weather is the first day we’ve seen a blue sky after three weeks of smoke!
Such a lovely direction to take the van , solar panel didn’t move an inch and remained insect free due to the air foil.
Acceleration is both smooth and powerful despite our 2400kg Evernew, this van now tows so well and more so particularly towed by the Touareg.
Interested to find that during towing the van , the Touareg wouldn’t go past 7th gear presumably because of the smart tow tow bar connecting.
1CE751DB-8063-4BB8-9E85-B4BA740599A4.jpeg
Heather and I have successful bonded with this Touareg/Evernew combination.
Cheers,
Mick.
Hi Mick. I also use the Milenco Aeros on my Touareg. I found that the arm was well below the horizontal when the mirrors are on so I installed them with one claw upside down (see the pic). Gives me a better view down the side of the van and also the van wheels. From Clark Rubber, added a couple of strips of 5mm flat rubber trimmed to fit to fill the ledge on the mirror case. Works great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enigmatic,
Thank you for your pearl of wisdom, just great these forums,I shall redo my mirrors and make for a better rearward view and provide a horizontal bar instead of mine that looks about 45 degrees!!
cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Afternoon all,
Just returned from a short jaunt to Corowa , NSW. Great spot on the river and nooooo smokeeeee so nice and big relief with clear sky's and a cooling river to float down stream , so soothing however, had to keep an ear open for the ski boats zipping up and down the river, going fast too without any visible speed restriction signs about.
Still so relaxing a caravan park,once again the Touareg went perfectly as expected,just love this air suspension it's so smooth and comfortable a ride.
Caravan behaved itself while being towed by this different tow vehicle,great to reverse about with such a short axle to tow point distance,car and van simply floated along the Riverina highway and Hume highway.
Power to effortlessly move along to traffic flow and the drivers visibility was amazingly good,new radarc caravan brake controller is going better then our Territory set up (can't remember what it was!).
Enigmatic's suggestion of readjusting the Milenco Aeros mirrors clamps was so worthwhile,big improvement,thanks for that.
The wind deflector was , once again, such a benefit while travelling,reducing our usual buffeting about by big trucks passing together with the minimising of caravan insect strike .
Out additional large solar panel is fixed very well however, as this panel is both portable and removable the air flow redirected by the deflector assists redirecting air flow over panel rather then under which ensures it doesn't lift off.
Once again,best car I've ever had!
Cheers,
Mick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good evening caravan lovers,
Update , Touareg is now sporting a shiny new VW genuine towbar and is having a sleep over at Opposite lock in preparation for tomorrows fitting with shiny new red arc brake controller,better then Christmas!
I've received and fitted a very sturdy mounting fixture for the Aero wind deflector,surprisingly was able to fit the mounting hardware allowing the sun roof to completely open both the glass as well,according to all the warnings I've read...it can't be done!,well I've succeeded,very pleased I am.
Additional 8mm cable via ignition/relay for fridge power.
This weekend might be the maiden voyage for this combination,looking forward to that.
Pictures to follow shortly.
Cheers,
Mick.
Hey Mick, You have any photos to share on how you mounted the deflector? I had mine mounted on square rack with 90Kg load rating, However, on a recent trip, one of the attachment brackets broke and am now looking for something a little more substantial. Interestingly, with the deflector fitted, we were averaging 14.2/100 with it fitted and after removing and storing it, the balance of our trip the economy dropped more than I had considered: 16.9/100. So guys, they obviously work and will repay your initial outlay many times over. BTW, our van weight close to 2800KG.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Victor,
Yes, fuel consumption is big part of why I use one. I understand the instructions mention 80km maximum speed however, with this type and the unit I have on my Territory I’ve never had or noticed anything untoward!
I have a pro rack HD single roof rack for firmly fixing the foil to.
I had to get the clamp fittings to suit the Touareg rails.
I believe Rhino and other brands have similar types suitable.
Hopefully these images help.
Cheers, Mick.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Victor,
Yes, fuel consumption is big part of why I use one. I understand the instructions mention 80km maximum speed however, with this type and the unit I have on my Territory I’ve never had or noticed anything untoward!
I have a pro rack HD single roof rack for firmly fixing the foil to.
I had to get the clamp fittings to suit the Touareg rails.
I believe Rhino and other brands have similar types suitable.
Hopefully these images help.
Cheers, Mick.
Thank Mick. You are a gem.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
963 Posts
I use Milenco Grand Aero, fitted to the tops of the door mirrors - no issues with security

My 2016 model is "only" towing 1500kg but a similar frontal area to Aussie caravans - it'll hold 8th gear when towing at 50-65 mph even on slight uphill gradients - but the 2017-2018 models had an issue with the transmission which was constantly hunting between 7 & 8 at solo cruising speeds - a Service Bulletin has recently been made available which seems to cure this issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Black Grouse,
Thanks for your reply,I’ve found very occasionally I’d get into eighth gear when towing although seems content with seventh,rule book does suggest I use sport mode!
This VW style of motoring is such a pleasure when compared to all previous vehicles!
Love driving air suspension love the Touareg !
Cheers,
Mick.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts