Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Before I get started I know there tons of threads about this and yes I've searched, but I'm very paranoid about this and hoping to buy the right car for this.

Basically im looking to buy a Treg TDI and plan on using it as one, a daily driver year round including Canadian winters and two, towing a car trailer with a mk3 or old BMW e30 on it. The car will be full with people and luggage. I know the limit is 7700lbs. I'm also very confused on reading the limit and what it includes. At the time I'd be looking for the right trailer of course to tow The car correctly. I'm just wondering if I would be exceeding or getting very close to the limit and damaging anything. I wouldn't be towing all the time. Sometimes locally and sometimes into the US for car shows. I was looking at a Duramax but with working at VW, I'd rather buy a Treg.

If anyone could shine some light and how explain or direct me to something that could, that would be great.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,690 Posts
You have to use the factory towing package to get the full 7700lbs. After market will only yield 6500 lbs I believe. You will not have any issue with towing the trailer as long as you don't exceed the weight limit. It is not a motor thing limiting the weight, it is a chassis thing given that it is a unibody vehicle. Plenty of guys doing this now what you described. I towed a box trailer loaded with stuff when I moved from UT to PA. Only thing I experienced was longer braking time due to the trailer not having brakes. Looking back on it I probably had that trailer overloaded, but aside from braking I didn't really notice it being there. I also had my car loaded. Seats down and packed. I also have air suspension though. That helps level things out well.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
968 Posts
Total weight of the trailer plus cargo (car, boat, camper, luggage, payload) whatever is behind the Touareg is not supposed to exceed the 7700 pound tow rating. The tongue force, the actual down-force of the trailer couple at the tow ball, is not supposed to exceed 616 pounds per VW specs.

Any towed load greater than 1650 pounds (If I Remember Correctly from the owners manual), must have it's own braking system. This means that your Touareg must have a correctly installed trailer brake controller, which applies the trailer brakes when you step on the Touareg brakes. Loads under 1650, do not require their own braking system, the Touareg can safely stop that load.

If your TOTAL Touareg interior (INSIDE the Touareg) load capacity is 1200 pounds (I'm rounding off numbers here), and you attach a trailer that has a TONGUE weight of 400 pounds to the tow ball, you are now limited to 800 pounds of cargo INSIDE the Touareg. It's just a safety formula of subtraction the tongue from the capacity of the Touareg.

If you connected a heavy trailer with a tongue weight of 616 pounds, this is roughly HALF the INTERIOR payload capacity of the Touareg. Maybe 4 adults and a little luggage.

Hope this helps. There are 3 numbers to be aware of.
1) TOTAL TRAILER WEIGHT try not to go over 7716 pounds
2) TOTAL TONGUE WEIGHT try not to exceed 616 pounds (some people may use 700 pounds, it's probably safe too)
3) TOTAL INTERIOR PAYLOAD WEIGHT don't exceed 1155 pounds (for TDI) . The Payload capacity is REDUCED when towing a trailer. Subtract trailer tongue weight from payload capacity , that becomes your new interior payload limit.

Here's a PDF link to the 2012 Touareg, all three engines. The payload capacity is slightly different for all three due to vehicle gross weight.

http://media.vw.com/doc/923/825121303536a876e73766.pdf

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here's a PDF link to the 2012 Touareg, all three engines. The payload capacity is slightly different for all three due to vehicle gross weight.

http://media.vw.com/doc/923/825121303536a876e73766.pdf
Why don't those numbers add up? It's supposed to be:

Payload = GVWR - Curb Weight

Listed payloads in the document are: 1287 lbs (V6), 1155 lbs (TDI), 1243 lbs (Hybrid).

Calculated payloads are: 1462 lbs (V6), 1331 lbs (TDI), 1280 lbs (Hybrid).
Difference: 175 lbs (V6), 176 lbs (TDI), 37 lbs (Hybrid).

Since the hybrid batteries are carried in the rear where the spare tire would normally go, maybe the rear of the vehicle can carry more payload weight than the front, and the listed payload is assuming passengers in all the seats thus loading the front more heavily? If that's true, then the correct interior payload would be:

Payload = GVWR - Curb weight - greater of [0 or (trailer tongue weight - 175 lbs) ]

i.e. If I'm right, you get the first 175 lbs of trailer tongue weight "for free" - it doesn't count against your interior payload limit. This would sort of makes sense - the front wheels are carrying the entire engine weight. So loading the front and middle with passengers may cause you to exceed the front axle capacity, while loading the far back (hybrid battery, trailer hitch) actually transfers some of the load from the front axle to rear axle (weight in the far rear uses the rear axle as fulcrum and lifts the front a bit).

Incidentally, curb weight is with a full load of fuel and fluids (oil, wiper fluid, etc). So you can eek out a bit more payload by not completely filling the fuel tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i.e. If I'm right, you get the first 175 lbs of trailer tongue weight "for free" - it doesn't count against your interior payload limit. This would sort of makes sense - the front wheels are carrying the entire engine weight. So loading the front and middle with passengers may cause you to exceed the front axle capacity, while loading the far back (hybrid battery, trailer hitch) actually transfers some of the load from the front axle to rear axle (weight in the far rear uses the rear axle as fulcrum and lifts the front a bit).

Incidentally, curb weight is with a full load of fuel and fluids (oil, wiper fluid, etc). So you can eek out a bit more payload by not completely filling the fuel tank.
I think that this may be a little academic, if you are sailing so close to the limit that you need to shed fuel.

:grin2::grin2: My manual states that the GVM needs to be reduced by 10% per 1,000m (approx. 3050 feet) of altitude - I can see a "I love Lucy" episode happening (I am probably showing my age using this reference) with items being discarded as we climb over a mountain pass.:grin2::grin2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.