Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
I am noticing that my Sep 2015 build V6 TDI will move (as if no break is on) a short while after applying the park brake. It moves what seems like an inch or so (25mm+) rearward if on a slope.

(Brake applied, park brake applied, car in Park.)

This is very perturbing as I had the van one once when this happened, (more washing to do) .

I do know that the brake system reduces pressure when the park brake is on and the foot brake is off. (well so the mechanic said).
Anybody else had this problem.

TIA
Stuart.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
2015 model !!!! .... straight to the dealer to rip them up and fix it.... dont let them tell you it is normal. Get in one of their other vehicles and test that as a start for a reference for what they should fix

Reactions: pommystuart

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hi ps
Next time you park on a slope try this and the specific order is important.

1: Keep foot on brake;
2: Select neutral on gear selector;
3: Apply electric park brake;
4: Remove foot from brake;
5: Allow Treg to roll the inch or so as you describe;
6: Put foot back on brake;
7: Select Park on gear selector.

Sounds complex I now but this will remove the weight of the Treg from the gearbox when on a slope. The Treg will not move again.
You will also find that next time you go to drive off from said slope and select drive or reverse there will not be the 'clunk' which I bet you hear now...... With thanks to dragline ;-)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi ps
Next time you park on a slope try this and the specific order is important.

1: Keep foot on brake;
2: Select neutral on gear selector;
3: Apply electric park brake;
4: Remove foot from brake;
5: Allow Treg to roll the inch or so as you describe;
6: Put foot back on brake;
7: Select Park on gear selector.

Sounds complex I now but this will remove the weight of the Treg from the gearbox when on a slope. The Treg will not move again.
You will also find that next time you go to drive off from said slope and select drive or reverse there will not be the 'clunk' which I bet you hear now...... With thanks to dragline ;-)
Thanks GazzaK (and dragline) for the sequence. I can appreciate it does remove pressure on the gearbox.
Said slope without caravan attached is coming out of my garage and is only 300mm over 5mtrs which not very steep.
I am doing the same sequence as I did in the Kluger and it did not roll.

My concern is the time period between applying the brake and when it moves, maybe up to 15 seconds by which time I am often out of the vehicle. Application of the foot brake a short while after park brake is activated gives a pedal which goes down almost to the firewall (mechanic said that was part of the brake system unloading).
Booked it in for a look on the 15th.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I don't have the electric brake on mine, but it seems unusual that the foot brake pedal would drop to the floor like that. The idea of a parking brake is that it is a completely separate system from the foot brake, aka service brake. IMHO, applying the parking brake shouldn't affect the foot brake. <shrug>

Good idea on having it checked.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep can be a bit scarey. Back boat down ramp. Transmission in park. Electric brake on. Double check before getting out (having seen a nice new BMW X6 roll down a ramp with no one in it only stopping when the trailer wheels dropped off the ramp edge). Get out to let boat go and suddenly creaking and a small amount of rollback when working boat winch when behind the treg. First time freaked me out. I will try the sequence suggested next time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the egg in to have the handbrake looked at and they created a new error code which beeps under 60kmph. have print out of error codes but not sure which line is relevant.
Dealer is awaiting software update to fix problem. Maybe worth other egg owners looking into that update.
Interesting to see another egg in the next bay with the same problem (air gap)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer downloaded a software fix (patch?) for the problem which seems to have fixed it, 20 min job including washing the car as well %^).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Service bulletin number or reference for the update?

PommyStuart,

Could you please ask the dealer what update they used to remedy this situation. There should be a VW official code for the update.

Since I have had my 2014, I have reported the 1" lurch to my local dealer (who by the way I have nothing but praise for after owning 4 VWs so far!) and they have said that VW told them the lurch is "normal". :confused:

I am not sure it is (or should be!) so keep informing them and they keep logging it in the service history for the car.

I am "old fashioned" with how I manage my Turbo vehicles (the Treg and the Passat) so when I park up after driving I put the Treg in P, handbrake on, and then get out to take my laptop bag etc out of the back of the car with it still idling and circulating oil, cooling down a little etc. (about 30-45 seconds) before I reach in and shut it off.

It is during this time that often the car will lurch forward (rarely ever backwards) this inch or so. Most movement is likely around 15-20 mm but it is hard to really suss it out.

Most concerning for me is that it HAS on occasions exhibited the same forward lurch when I am sitting stationary at lights with the foot brakes FIRMLY on and in Drive waiting for lights to turn green. THIS is the most disconcerting time.

So if you can get ANY official VW update code or service bulletin # which I could quote to my dealer it would be most appreciated.

I did think that perhaps I was one of a handful that have had this issue because I might be one of the only few who leave the Treg idling for half a minute or so before shutting it down almost all of the time, but obviously not.

Cheers mate

Andrew

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Weird, none of these actions makes any sense! Gaz & Drag, I also can't see what the Sequence has to do with anything, please explain to a poor dumb shmuck. The parking brake acts mechanically on drums in the rear disk and it doesn't matter if it is 'old school' mechanical or new fangled ebrake the result at the wheel is the same. Once that brake is firmly applied the only movement that should be possile is any flex in the suspension as the torque loading takes affect. As long as the foot brkae (service brake) is kept applied until the parking brake is fully set the rest is irrelevant.
A slightly different scenario is when you put in park in a position where the diagonals are extended (e.g left front and right rear wheels only lightly loaded with the other two wheels being in compression) that there is no way the vehicle will stay still on a decent slope as the diff doesn't lock.
John

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
One of the downsides of a parking brake being applied either mechanically or electronically when the vehicle is stationary, is that the friction surfaces of the two drums are never swept clear of the rust that forms on them so their "gripping" performance can diminish.

When we only had the mechanical parking brake I always used to dish out the advice that, because of the above, you should partially apply the parking brake once a month a slowly drive a couple of hundred yards/metres to keep the friction surfaces clear of rust.

Doing this I increased my old T1's parking brake efficiency, tested on a rolling road brake device, from 16% [an annual government test fail] to 24% [a creditable pass].

I guess the problem with the electronic brake is that you cannot do this as it is either ON or OFF.

Therefore is the movement down to the brake shoes taking a moment to correctly grip an inefficient, rusted, friction surface?

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, could it be an accumulation of dust and rust in the drum getting trapped between shoe and drum and causing it to slip ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the electronic brake, it is possible to apply it while moving, but its quite a jolt when it grabs. I applied it once while coasting 1-2mph and regretted doing so. Maybe there's an output test in vcds that could override the automatic release?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am not a Mechanic.
The initial report on the problem was that the Park Brake Air Gap was incorrect.

I also asked about a foot brake concern.
I was told that after the park brake is applied the system pressure in the brake system is lowered even if you have your foot on the brake. Well that's what a 'mechanic' told me.
If I then release the foot brake and re-apply a short time later I have had the foot brake go down well on the way to the fire wall. This could perhaps allow the car to move as the transmission train takes up the slack.
Just putting that out for comment.
Stuart.
(I have asked for VW code, will advise)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Weird, none of these actions makes any sense! Gaz & Drag, I also can't see what the Sequence has to do with anything, please explain to a poor dumb shmuck.
Hi John,
Our driveway is relatively steep. When I stop on the driveway in Park and apply the electric brake and take my foot off the brake, the Treg rolls back (downhill) about an inch. When I subsequently select drive or reverse there is a 'clunk' from the gear box. If I do the sequence I detail in a previous post which dragline suggested there is no 'clunk'.
I have no idea why when in park and after applying the park brake the Treg rolls back an inch and I think pommystuart may have the answer by way of this software update?
I have no idea about why or how.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had considered the movement to be the take up in the transmission, but my Question to VW is, why I get the movement after the park brake is engaged.(I am aware that the car can and does move if you just release the foot brake after selecting Park without the park brake on.) The movement after selecting Park and applying the park brake implies to me that it is the transmission drive line that is holding the car NOT the hand brake.
(Still no reply from my VW service centre re the VW code or number.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree Stuart. What I failed to indicate in my post is that it happens when I am on flat ground - in my garage or in the car park in the office. And can be 10 seconds after I have stepped out of the car, or 20 seconds, or not at all. I understand the movement is of course possible when parked on a slope as per GazzaK.

Why does is do it (far more rarely thank goodness) when I am at traffic lights with my foot firmly on the brakes requires further explanation/understanding.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dealer said they got the info via Bulletin and at least three people at each dealership should have got an email from VGA.
Best I can do.
I will take more notice at traffic lights and report if anything happens.
Good Luck
Stuart.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Stuart. My service team are off chasing VAG for an update.

Cheers

Andrew

1 - 20 of 59 Posts