Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always considered myself to be pretty particular about keeping my car clean. I never use drive thru washes and usually do the whole thing by hand myself. It gives me some kind of joy, plus it is nice to be off the chair in the office every now and again. That being said, I know a lot of you take lots of pride in your beautiful Touaregs (me too). What is your cleaning system? Do you do it yourself? If so, what stuff do you use? I don't want to get any scratches or swirls on the black paint, and since it is brand new and I am starting with a clean slate so to speak I figure I should do this right. I currently use Meguires auto soap, a cloth mit, and a chamois to dry. I use Meguires lether wipes inside for the seats and a very lightly damp cloth to wipe the dash. Any recommendations? Thanks.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Sounds like you got it down to me. I do pretty much the same thing. Just make sure you wash it out of the sun so that you don't get water spots on the black paint.

Also, you should add a good layer of wax to protect your new car's paint from the elements.

· Registered
42 Posts
The best advice I can offer is when you are washing the T-reg is to wash it vertically. All your mit strokes should be as up and down as possible. Vertical scratches are harder to see than horizontal ones. This has worked wonderfully on our Black '03 Turbo S New Beetle.

Of course keeping a good wax job on it helps too!

(I just realized this thread is really old!)

· Registered
93 Posts
If it isn't a problem (such as water restrictions - due to droughts etc) the more water you can use, in conjunction with a good quality car wash/shampoo/detergent the less chance you will have of introducing scratches etc. Rinse your washing mit/sponge/brush etc frequently to remove any abrasive matter - picked up off the car. There are some good pre-wash solutions available (non corrosive) such as 'truck wash' that when applied in correct proportions and left for prescribed time, will loosen and remove most built up road grime. Heavier deposits such as mud should be removed with water before starting to wash. Rinse well after washing to remove any soap/detergent/shampoo/car-wash etc. If your tap water (mains supply) is a bit dodgy (lots of salt or mineral deposits) consider using rain water (from storage tank if you have one) or even distilled water or 'spring' water - you know the stuff you buy at the supermarket in cardboard box. Cheap and usually minimal nasties - to damage your gut or your car. Good luck.

· Registered
351 Posts
I only wand wash at the car wash for my black beauty... I never touch it with the brush, nor hand dry the paint... My carwash is only 1km from the highway, so as I drive home, it dries itself (100+kmph). I've found this system works well for me, as it doesn't introduce scratches and swirls in the paint.

Once in awhile, I do however have to use a soft cloth to clean the paint, but I try not to unless really needed.

I do a wax cleaner/light polish as needed. Wax twice a year (Maguires Tech wax? Blue bottle).

· Banned
7,136 Posts
I use P21S Body work shampoo and/or Zymol Clear(the white bottle NOT the imitation stuff at your local parts store!) to wash.
I'm not shy to dry with a 100% cloth towel. I find that doing so, works some of the inherent wax into the paint, that you will find in the above type of quality soaps. It actually helps bring out a shine, wash after wash, that apparently gets lost with other types of soaps.

For waxing, I use Zymol Concours(prepare to pay over $100 for a jar). A buddy of mine uses the P21S Concours(much cheaper in price than the Zymol) on his baby blue Porsche, and it seems to compare very well to the Zymol.

For leather I now use Leatherique. Had been a Lexol user for many years, but this stuff beats it hands down. It beats anything out there hands down. For washing or treating leather. Even to restore it if scuffed. It just made my Nappa leather softer than it probably was in the showroom! People who look inside at my interior, ask me if I redid the seats :cool:

For interior plastics, I alternate between the Zymol Vinyl and Lexol vinyl cleaners, the latter having a bit more lustre to it, so I avoid it on the very top of the dash, as I can't stand glare when the sun is at it's worst angle in the sky.

No off the shelf product I have ever used has matched the above products. Most people wouldn't notice the differences anyways, except for the compliments strangers ALWAYS give at gas stations which gives testament to quality not found on the off the shelf products. One thing I have learned in life, is that every little bit counts in the total sum. A little bit here, that extra bit there. Only connoisseurs know what I'm talking about. ;)

If I were to pick one off the shelf, it would have to be Maguires. But if money ain't an object, and you've got the patience to properly work and play with waxing techniques, get your credit card ready and order off the net.

Speaking of connoisseurs, it was because of one on the net, at a Rolls Royce club, that I discovered Leatherique. So I like to keep an open mind, and try new stuff as they slowly get discovered by the rest in time. If any one has any new waxes that they wish to introduce, pleease speaketh your mind and share!!

· Registered
953 Posts
For leather I now use Leatherique. Had been a Lexol user for many years, but this stuff beats it hands down. It beats anything out there hands down. For washing or treating leather. Even to restore it if scuffed. It just made my Nappa leather softer than it probably was in the showroom! People who look inside at my interior, ask me if I redid the seats :cool:
Dude,
toally agree with you on Leatherique. I too found this via a Rolls Royce web site while looking for something to restore leather.
The secret is to apply it and allow it to work into the leather over a period of time (a couple of days) the hotter the interior of the vehicle the better, so summer in Australia like now is the perfit time to do it. I do my interior leathers once a year with leatherique and in between use Duragloss conditioner (221) and shampoo (441) every month or so depending on usage.
Also try the leatherique cleaner on your exterior plastics, does the job as good as the best of them, but does not leave a shine like some.

· Registered
2 Posts
Over the years, I have used Zymol (Clear, HD Cleanse, Treat, Concours, Vinyl), Klasse (AIO & Sealant), P21S (Paintwork Cleanser, car wash, wheel cleaner, Concours and original wax) and Zaino (AIO, Z2Pro, ZFX, ZCS, etc). IMO, the entire line of Zaino and P21s are the best in terms of durability, gloss and shine.

· Banned
7,136 Posts
Over the years, I have used Zymol (Clear, HD Cleanse, Treat, Concours, Vinyl), Klasse (AIO & Sealant), P21S (Paintwork Cleanser, car wash, wheel cleaner, Concours and original wax) and Zaino (AIO, Z2Pro, ZFX, ZCS, etc). IMO, the entire line of Zaino and P21s are the best in terms of durability, gloss and shine.
As much as I like the Concours from Zymol(price aside :rolleyes:), one thing that has to be said about its durability, is that it lasts about as long as it takes to smoke a cigarette once you are done.

But damn it looks good while it lasts! Especially on cars painted with Standox paint, formulated to 80's style with no clear on top of the base, but mixed, particularly in black(Swartz). ;)

· Registered
23 Posts
I recently bought Adams Polishes products and all I have to say is that I will never buy anything else. There products are first class and offer the best customer support out there. I would recomened all there products especially the invisible under carriage spray as well as the vinyl rubber and trim also known as VRT. These things are great for the tires and interior.

· Banned
7,136 Posts
I recently bought Adams Polishes products and all I have to say is that I will never buy anything else. There products are first class and offer the best customer support out there. I would recomened all there products especially the invisible under carriage spray as well as the vinyl rubber and trim also known as VRT. These things are great for the tires and interior.
Bookmarked!

mmmmmmmmmmm.....Boars hair brush =P~ invisible under carriage spray........

Thanks man! :)

· Banned
7,136 Posts
No problem I'm just happy I can help someone out.

By the way be carefull with the leather cleaner it is rather strong and can discolor the leather also the VRT can be used to give the VW rear emblem a nice touch and the grill too.
For leather cleaner, I don't see myself leaving Leatherique to experiment elsewhere anytime soon. That stuff is simply remarkable! You can soak your seat in that stuff, let it sit for 2 days...and it will just get beter and better after each use I kid you not! I don't think any other product could do that. Most products out there even warn you to not apply too much on the stitching, if any at all! Not with Leatherique. In fact, you want it to soak in there! :writers_block: Weird stuff I tell you.

Thanks for the tip on the VRT. ;)

I'm a firm believer that every good company out there, has that one product that they do excel in, but I've never come across a manufacturer where it's their whole product line from A-Z that excels. So in Zymol 's, Leatherique 's, Adams Polishes 's, Zaino 's, P21S 's case, I think if one could choose "that one" product from each that does it for them, they will be detailing kings :cool:

In some cases, some come so close to each other, that it also boils down to preference when it comes down to sheen and smell. Some like the "pina colada" experience, others prefer coconut, others want none of that.

· Banned
7,136 Posts
Dude,
toally agree with you on Leatherique. I too found this via a Rolls Royce web site while looking for something to restore leather.
The secret is to apply it and allow it to work into the leather over a period of time (a couple of days) the hotter the interior of the vehicle the better, so summer in Australia like now is the perfit time to do it. I do my interior leathers once a year with leatherique and in between use Duragloss conditioner (221) and shampoo (441) every month or so depending on usage.
Also try the leatherique cleaner on your exterior plastics, does the job as good as the best of them, but does not leave a shine like some.
Out of curiosity, why do you use Duragloss in between the Leatherique?
Was it expense or the end result?

· Registered
953 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you use Duragloss in between the Leatherique?
Was it expense or the end result?
It gives a quick clean and conditioner in about 5 minutes, enhances the leatherique.
Costs for both bottles 1/2 of a 500ml leatherique cleaner but that's not an issue.
I found using the leatherique too time intensive for a regular treatment, my seats are subjected to salt water as I swim most mornings so needed a quick handy clean.

· Registered
612 Posts
forget about all the previous stuff man. the only thing you need to know about cleaning the egg is that the buttons on the inside seem to peel over time. dont use that harsh of a cleaner and only use a very soft cloth. I have had about ten buttons peel and then replaced, but now that my factory warranty is up, they wanted about a 100 dollars a button to replace.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.