Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday we did the 40km “high clearance low ratio 4wd only” track to Cape Peron, Francois Peron National Park. 2020 190TDI Adventure with air suspension and 19” rims. There’s some deep soft sections and people often get bogged so I was fairly anxious. Pleased to say it powered through. Light belly rubbing as we could not run suspension in highest mode, going too fast at around 40kph most of the way. Loads of torque and I noticed it kept the car in a high gear. We had to power past a Pajero that was bogged but I knew if we stopped that would be a problem and he already had someone helping. I would have preferred 18” rims but not available. Oh and the tyre pressure monitoring is so useful for airing up and down. What a car 👍

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,413 Posts
Nice one Richard.

How long are you away for? Any photos? Towing a van or camper trailer or swagging it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Richard.

How long are you away for? Any photos? Towing a van or camper trailer or swagging it?
Just 10 days. A few days Karijini, shark Bay, etc. Not towing, just motels etc. I would have liked to have got some photos in the sand but not really practical this time. Anyway it’s good to know the car can handle a lot more than you might think.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg Moonlight Blue
5,550 Posts
Yesterday we did the 40km “high clearance low ratio 4wd only” track to Cape Peron, Francois Peron National Park. 2020 190TDI Adventure with air suspension and 19” rims. There’s some deep soft sections and people often get bogged so I was fairly anxious. Pleased to say it powered through. Light belly rubbing as we could not run suspension in highest mode, going too fast at around 40kph most of the way. Loads of torque and I noticed it kept the car in a high gear. We had to power past a Pajero that was bogged but I knew if we stopped that would be a problem and he already had someone helping. I would have preferred 18” rims but not available. Oh and the tyre pressure monitoring is so useful for airing up and down. What a car 👍
Did you use the same mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Richard

my first post here and I’m also a 190TDi owner (2020 model). i’ve just found this forum and keen to understand thoughts around using the 2020 version of the Touareg for outback trips on gravel, corrugations etc?

I typically use a current model Pajero and tow a hybrid off-road camper (2.5t loaded). I havent yet installed a tow hitch on my Touareg so trying to determine whether this car will be a good replacement for my Pajero…

I hv the premium version so still hv 95L tank, but not the sand mode in my Touareg. I also want to understand how the electronics and digital cockpit hold up under corrugations etc if anyone has experience in this area?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Richard

my first post here and I’m also a 190TDi owner (2020 model). i’ve just found this forum and keen to understand thoughts around using the 2020 version of the Touareg for outback trips on gravel, corrugations etc?

I typically use a current model Pajero and tow a hybrid off-road camper (2.5t loaded). I havent yet installed a tow hitch on my Touareg so trying to determine whether this car will be a good replacement for my Pajero…

I hv the premium version so still hv 95L tank, but not the sand mode in my Touareg. I also want to understand how the electronics and digital cockpit hold up under corrugations etc if anyone has experience in this area?

thanks in advance
Hi, from our experience we had no problems at all on corrugations. Bigger rims could potentially be an issue. I’m glad we have the 19’s, not 20 or bigger. I can’t see that towing would be a problem, there is loads of torque.

·
Learner
5,550 Posts
Hi Richard

thanks in advance
Sand mode switches off the electronic intervention on descent ie coming off a dune for example, not having the mode doesn't mean that you can't replicate that anyway.

For the terrain you mention it will be absolutely fine. Get good all terrains and use the electronics according to the terrain. For sand switch off esp and have power and momentum.
Corrugations and gravel isn't a problem at all

Reactions: Jeelan and Steve_L

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Richard / Singh. to be honest i probably should read the manual to understand all the modes properly. I note in the “offroad” mode there is AUTO and EXPERT and havent really played with teh settings…

The thing I’m concerned about is that with my Paj, I’ve never thought twice about ducking down an access track to explore it - i carry a compressor, maxtrax, and recovery gear so if the track deteriorates, i hv the flexibility to keep moving if i want too..

i havent been game enough to do this with the Touareg yet. I guess its balancing building my experience of the Touareg’s limitations vs potential damage and expensive subsequent repairs…

I’m also keen to understand what the smallest size rim is that i can drop to ie if 18” rims would work? I currently hv 20” which dont leave me a lot of rubber to let down etc….

gratuitous pic of us in Walpole last week - first road trip in the Touareg!!!

Attachments

·
Learner
5,550 Posts
Carry maxtrax like you did, a snatch strap, .....in off-road mode have esp off for sand, mud, etc where wheel spin is required else off-road mode will do it all for other
255 60 18 or 265 60 18 if you want to be on the edge, the latter is one size bigger than recommended

Reactions: Jeelan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts