Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I haven't seen any dollar values tossed around for the Canadian settlement so not sure where the $3500/$7000 numbers are coming from. It goes in front of the courts in Ontario and Quebec in April so I'm suspecting the real numbers will come out after that. I'm not sure if people are aware but Quebec laws are based on a completely different basis vs. rest of Canada laws; hence the two different court hearings.

Comparisons to the US market don't make any sense as again - they have a different legal system and different consumer protection laws and tend to pay out far greater settlements in general.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
If the Canadian rules gave higher payouts, you could bet that VW would be arguing that Canada must be bound by the previous (lower) US settlement.

Since VW sees a chance to save money.. Well, we get this.

The first major evidence that VW would happily rip off their own customers was with the adblue warranty. It seems that despite promises, "VW culture" has not changed a bit since this scandal happened. Sad.

PS: nickm is right. We won't know anything until the Canadian courts rule. I would like to see them award the Canadian owners with higher damages, but that is very unlikely.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@ Nickm

You will find everything on the (find by Google) VW Audi Porsche 3.0-litre Diesel Émission Settlement prog. In Canada.
Roll down to Court Document (written in red), then click on class action settlement document and Schedule E Repair payments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Honestly, I don’t feel ripped off by VW at all.
Since may 2012 when I bought my first VW ever, a Passat TDI 6 speed man and in 2013, my actual Touareg TDI, my experience has been very good. Last October, I opted for the buyback for my Passat ( 5 years and 97,500 km) and trade in for a new 2017 Golf TSI 4 doors auto. VW gave me $19,950 (almost twice the black book value of the car at the moment) with the sorry money and I saved $1,500 of taxes on my new Golf. Now, with the sorry money that I will receive after the fix of my Treg ($6,550) and the $2,000 credit cards, finally, VW give me for almost free a brand new car 5 years later.
This how I see it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what other's experience has been with the fix. I just had my 2013 Touareg done late last week and definitely notice the lack of engine braking. What I wasn't expecting, and see mention of above, is changes to the warm up.

I am seeing the engine hold higher RPM through that warm up but most specifically, a very odd situation in third gear. For other gears, it seems to be holding to about 2K or 2100 RPM but in third, it is not shifting until over 2500 RPM. Is that what others are seeing? These are pretty high revs for a diesel, considering it will easily motor around at less than 1500 once warm (and how it previously used to run).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any thoughts on what will happen to the used market once the settlement is approved and payments start going out? Do you think there will be a significant increase in used T3 models on the market? Any thoughts on what the current demand is like.

Right now, there are a very limited number of used units in Alberta. There are quite a few new 2015/16 models but actual used ones here on AutoTrader are less than a half dozen. Prices seem OK with listings asking between $35 and $45K.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The settlement was approved by the judge in Ontario. Now we're waiting on the judge in Quebec. Reading over the settlement approval document, it looks like Gen 1 owners can opt for a damage payment, buyback, buyback with trade-in or a repair. Not likely there will be a repair by September though.

What's not clear to me is the damage payout. Would that be paid to the owner if they decide to keep their Gen 1? Or is this available only if you choose the buyback?

There's also nothing mentioned about Bosch sorry money. I believe US owners received a separate $1500 payment from Bosch.

Here's the settlement document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9bv2ldpgfos8q1/Quenneville_v._Volkswagen_April_19_2018_.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I read through the judges discussion, description of the objections and how he addresses the objections and despite my misgivings on the inequity between the USA and CDN settlements I am at least happy that the judge acknowledged and took seriously the objections.

Posts here indicate that a trans flashy be forth coming so I guess I am slowly allowing myself to come around to the idea of getting the fix, getting half my cash since I am a post Nov 2015 buyer, and then seeking a trans flash after if deemed necessary or worthwhile.

Scuba, thanks for posting the judges settlement document.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The settlement was approved by the judge in Ontario. Now we're waiting on the judge in Quebec. Reading over the settlement approval document, it looks like Gen 1 owners can opt for a damage payment, buyback, buyback with trade-in or a repair. Not likely there will be a repair by September though.

What's not clear to me is the damage payout. Would that be paid to the owner if they decide to keep their Gen 1? Or is this available only if you choose the buyback?

There's also nothing mentioned about Bosch sorry money. I believe US owners received a separate $1500 payment from Bosch.

Here's the settlement document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9bv2ldpgfos8q1/Quenneville_v._Volkswagen_April_19_2018_.pdf?dl=0
Damage payments are paid out as per the original schedule regardless of whether you choose buyback, keep the vehicle, etc.

Bosch payments has not even made it to court in Canada. They are waiting for the VW settlement. Bosch tried to have the case thrown out and the judge denied their motion and said the damages case will proceed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts