Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems there is not a thread to moan and bemoan the Canadian restitution as it compares to the USA restitution. However, at first glance from me it seems to be way less. Maybe my expectations were out of sorts, but especially with the US dollar at +30% wish I certainly expected more.

app. 7 grand for an original owner and half for a 2nd owner, like. For 3,500 but I for one will consider not fixing it.

How are other Canadians reacting to the payment amounts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m quite happy to just take the money and get on with life. I still love the car post-fix and the extra warranty makes it a keeper for a good while yet. I don’t see the point in looking over the fence and you can’t compare legal systems for a whole bunch of reasons.

$7k extra in my pocket, an extended warranty to get me to 200k and an economical luxury car to keep enjoying. All good, time to move on.

You are welcome to reject the settlement if you’re not happy. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I filed an objection as the fix impacts heavy towing (engine braking is removed), fuel increases 1.4 liters / 100 kms and ad blue consumption goes up 40%. The generation 1 owners did alright but generation 2 owners didn't get much more than if they owned a Golf or Jetta.

The reason I originally bought the truck was all of the VW hype on "Clean Diesel" and the ability to tow my Airstream.

·
Registered
776 Posts
So it seems there is not a thread to moan and bemoan the Canadian restitution as it compares to the USA restitution. However, at first glance from me it seems to be way less. Maybe my expectations were out of sorts, but especially with the US dollar at +30% wish I certainly expected more.

app. 7 grand for an original owner and half for a 2nd owner, like. For 3,500 but I for one will consider not fixing it.

How are other Canadians reacting to the payment amounts?
You're getting payments? Europeans aren't !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I agree that it is disappointing to see the changes it will have on fuel consumption and adblue consumption. Do we know if the payment is based on age of the T3 or only on first vs second owner?

·
Registered
66 Posts
One other question. Do you know if you still have to be the owner of the T3? Presumably, if you were the first owner and sold it, you still would have taken the discount in the market due to the controversy so I would think you would still qualify.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the conversation guys. I guess I feel a tad peeved as both USA and CDN Touaregs have the same problem but the USA market values tanked faster and further than in Canada. I bought my Touareg after the Nov 2015 and paid a fair value. I guess I am being a bit greedy and likely nothing will change here. So the sooner I accept that the sooner I'm past the issue like every other owner. Was hoping for more was all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks WolverineFW. I found that website with google just after posting my questions. Interesting scenarios in the eligibility section and disappointing levels of compensation compared to US owners. If what I read is true, some of them could be getting up to 25% of the original value of their vehicle while we are getting around 10-15%. Also interesting that someone who bought a sport trim appears to be getting the same amount as someone with an execline trim. Oh well, better than a kick in the a$$.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about all the changes made to 3L TDI vehicles, including ones we don't know about, and ruminating on the discussion here. It seems to boil down to MPG was decreased to increase operating temperatures etc. So they had to find a way to keep MPG in the no penalty window so they changed/reduced engine braking. So to me this sounds like they are kicking the can down the road so far that the average owner won't notice until they are going in for more frequent than expected (and costly) brake jobs. So ok, they are compensating, providing free adblue (in USA) for the increased usage us but they are hiding their problems down in accelerated brake wear now which the owner is now fully liable for and will probably eat out your compensation $'s...

just another nuisance. What a great car and what disappointment VW as an organization is. I used to love and idolize their vehicles. I still struggle with this as there are not many other brands that I "like". Its painful to like VW now....

How do we lodge complaints and how does that potentially effect your compensation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a question... We just bought a 2014 touareg on the 18th of Jan 2018.The fix was done at the dealership on the 16th of Jan 2018 But not registerd that the fix was done till after we got the car.

Do new owners get any cash back?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still contend canadians are getting a raw deal compared to our equals in the south. If on average they are getting $9500 USD on their payback including VW and bosch money that is about 12k CAD. VW is paying you $7000 if you are an original owner, half if you are a subsequent owner before certain dates. They are changing the vehicle to comply and hiding possible deleterious effects in accelerated brake pad were which you will end up paying for their transgressions again...yet somehow I still love my Touareg but dislike VW more and more each day...

If only I could get a tesla powertrain in my touareg... !!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
vwDavid - I'd be surprised if the US average was that low. One piece that I read said the range was $8500 to $17000. Perhaps this was not an accurate number but if it is true, and a brand new TDI Execline had a MSRP around $60-65K in the US, that is over 25% of the original value. Crazy compared to us topping out at around $9K in compensation on a $72K MSRP; just over 10%.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the opt-out and objection deadline is March 19th.

Does anyone think there is any point in objecting to the Canadian settlement. Is there a class and are there advocates for owners? Do we have a class lawyer? Or should I just pocket my $3500 in free fairy dust smile and go on with life?

Are there ramifications if I object? Will my VIN be marred or marked or excluded? Who can answer these questions? I figure if 5-10% object that might make some noise but the chances of that happening are slim I suppose.

Since it is quiet here, I am guessing that while not as large of a wind fall as our US owners Canadians are just getting on with things???

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
I still contend canadians are getting a raw deal compared to our equals in the south.
VW got off pretty easy in the US all said and done. Look at the VW financial statements. VW is still minting money. There is / was absolutely no long term harm done. Winterkorn retired with his VW golden parachute.

VW just gave the US some of the coal out of the VW mine.

Canada. Well, it would appear that Canadians got something out of that mne also. Canada got the shaft! >:)

Sorry about that guys. I was hoping that the Canada settlement would mirror the US settlement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Never hurts to object to the proposed class action settlement. You still remain in the class and will be entitled to any settlement that is finally approved by the court. VW has impacted your fuel mileage, Adblue consumption and vehicle performance (removed engine braking and warm up characteristics).

I have already filed my objection which may or may not have any impact but if you don't ask you don't get. In the end you can always vote with your wallet - the two VWs in my driveway will be the last. YMMV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't need the hassle and I'm sure it will result in nothing. I'm quite happy with the cash, the extended warranty is worth thousands to me and it warms up much quicker on cold mornings. Also no noticeable fuel consumption change and I'm being much kinder to the environment now I have the fix! In short, I'm all good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
WolverineFW
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing