Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are the jump posts directly connected to the battery positive and negative?
I believe so.
When you connect an external power source to the electrical system, it does not "go through the battery" before powering any modules. It powers the complete circuit included whatever modules are connected.

However with the battery in the circuit, the battery will tend to "smooth" any fluctations in the source power.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have read someplace that if you jump the car via the under hood terminals you can risk the chance of blowing the MOSFET/Resistors out of the KESSY module. I just had mine repaired and I do not want to have to do it again. Can anyone verify if this not true? I have had a slight battery drain prior to the fix, where over the course of a month I will have a dead battery. I'd love to have a maintainer as you all have suggested but I am worried that it will blow some electrical modules if not properly used.
If you jump start pretty much any modern car there is a chance you can damage something. Depends on different things. For instance I've seen where the car battery is 100% dead and someone hooks up the battery cables to the "live" car then couldn't get the clamps opened properly and sparked the jumper cables again and again. Electrical systems HATE this as it causes massive voltage spikes in the car's electrical system. Then you kinda playing russian roulette with electronic components.

The safe way to get it going is indeed don't jump start it with another car. Better to use a battery charger or a portable car jump battery pack. The new ones are smart enough to be at an idle state when you hook up the jumper wires then tell it to charge/jump. Then there is no spark. Or if you have a really old one hook it to the battery/jump terminals first then plug it into the wall. (after you made sure all the switches are in the correct positions)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts