Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I've got a new used 2015 Touareg with the V6 TDI (CNR 048100) that was originally picked up from Copart. Everything is in awesome shape on it except for the engine which was seized up (it was originally listed as a flood car). I think a used car dealer bought it at auction originally and had it all cleaned up and detailed, but balked at swapping the engine after they couldn't get it to rotate, and sold it back to Copart.

Problem:

Long story short, I swapped out the engine for a used one, but I now have 2x extra open connections and no idea what they are exactly. Can someone who knows the TDI's take a look and help me identify what these are? I just need to figure out what part I need to buy to finish this up.

Details:

I'm assuming that one plug connects to the other, but I can't be sure. I thought we'd transferred all of the harnesses and gear from the old to the new engine, but I think we missed this one. The mystery plug is on the back passenger side of the engine. See attached pictures for reference.

I did this engine swap with my brother who has done a couple of Touareg engine swaps before, but unfortunately we ran into some hiccups with the old engine that delayed us a bit, so we ended up finishing at like 4am and I had to rush him to the airport before we could finish figuring this out. And this is my first Touareg, so I'm still trying to figure out what's what on it.

This issue of disconnected plugs doesn't seem to be causing any problems yet as we started up the engine and ran it for a few minutes with no issues.

There did turn out to be a bit of a fuel leak on the passenger side of the engine somewhere that I need to figure out before I can run the engine again, but I'm inclined to believe that the open plugs are a different problem entirely.

Bonus Question:

What the best way to dispose of old engines? I tried listing the old one online to see if anyone wanted it for parts or to rebuild, but no luck. Do you just take them to a metal scrapyard?

Pictures:

First, I've attached a picture from the back of the old engine so you can see exactly where the plug is, circled in yellow:

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Second, here is a picture of the currently installed engine, with the 2x open plugs highlighted.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done on the engine swap by the way, I know how much of a pain in the ass that is!

Did you drop the whole engine and transmission assembly or lift the engine out the top?
We did it the hard way and came out the top. Actually, it wasn't that hard. We didn't even have to disassemble the front end beyond pulling the radiator fans.

The worst part was because the engine was seized, there was no way to turn it to access the torque converter bolts. We tried for a whole day everything we could think of (and that Youtube suggested) but eventually just had to buy a new torque converter.

So yeah, now just a few little odds and ends and it should be ready to go.

I love the car already!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up swapping out the water pump as well. But in spite of that, it is indeed a helluvadeal! It's the executive trim, so it's got a lotta cool little features I never knew about.

Apparently this car had been bought at auction before by someone else, and then they sold it back to Copart rather than swap the engine out. But before they sold it back, they tried to install some ghetto LED lighting using those little adhesive LED strips in the footwells, on the grill, and a couple other little places. Took me an hour to pull out all the little wires they'd run under the carpets and trim panels.

Overall, this looks like it'll be a sweet car.

Been busy doing a bunch of other stuff, but I've got to do a tranny and power steering flush. After that, I can't wait to get this thing on the road.

And yup, the donor motor came out of a Touareg that we bought off of LKQ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts