Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I wanted to ask about the battery. I need to change it. Can I totally disconnect the battery or do I need something to keep battery operations while the switch is made? Thank you. It a 2007 AWD 6 cilinders

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yes, but you get a lot a strange little problems to work out.

Best thing is to borrow a battery pack, like you use for an assist start. Connect it to the jump terminals under the hood. Change your battery, being careful to not the hot electrical ends touch anything metal. Once new battery is in, unhook jumper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plus 1 on Nickyt's advice. I just replaced the battery on my daughters 2008, hooked up a 6 amp battery charger to the connectors under the hood. I had a stability control lamp come on the dash but went out as soon as pulled out of the drive way. Here is a link to a youtube video replacing the battery. The best one I've seen yet.

Good luck, Bob

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I've changed the battery without hooking up a 12V supply with no problems at all.

Why aren't you just charging the car using the under bonnet terminals?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Good video . . . unlike the other one on the web where the guy removes the seat!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm with Nooby. I've had the battery disconnected on many occasions (fixing airbag connections under seat, swapping out trans valve body, etc). You get Christmas tree lights on the dash at first, but in my experience, if you start it after reconnecting the batter, let it run a few minutes, turn it of and re-start, all was well.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
You can remove all power, but...

You will need to reset the windows by running them fully up and down. Sometimes you have to reset the memory seats by running them all the way forward and backward. You will get a warning light on the dash. If you back up straight about 50 feet, the drive forward 50 feet, that should clear it or it will usually clear in about 5 miles of normal driving.

Plus every module will set an low power error that you will need a VCDS to clear if you remove power.

Just easier to use a battery pack if you have it, but you don't have to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
NEVER, EVER use a battery charger on its own to power any vehicle for any reason.
The voltage out of them is filthy dirty and unregulated. You will likely destroy some electronics in the car.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
NEVER, EVER use a battery charger on its own to power any vehicle for any reason.
The voltage out of them is filthy dirty and unregulated. You will likely destroy some electronics in the car.
Truth.

Use a jumper pack. They have a small 12V battery inside.

Please, do not hook up a battery charger.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Is there a "reset" routine that I need to do after the battery replacement?
You will most likely have to run the windows up and down (push/pull and HOLD the switch) so they relearn their full open and closed positions.

The steering wheel angle sensor alarm may also be on. Simply drive forward (of course make sure it's clear!) a car length or two and it should disappear.

Reset your clock and off you go!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts