Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to run a thicker tire when I get 20's rather then the 40's that are recommended. I think it looks better.

Should I expect a performance decrease or milage decrease (gasp!)

theres a million threads butn one seem conclusive.

are those Oz canyons and the Cayenne replicas from lakeshore decent?

And are the cheap Hankooks really good tires?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you notice a drop in performance or mileage when you went to those tires?

Do you think you could do a 50 series tire? What's the limit?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Some are running 265/70/17 for an offroad setup. That is a 31.6" tire. That is on the stock rims though. How big and wide you can go all depends on the rim (width, offset). Its hard to tell, you can be safe and go with whats been proven to work, or you can take a chance and try something new.

The 285/45/20 is a rare size. Hardly any tire choices. Lots in 285/50/18 though. I would say that i could run that size and be okay. Like i said, depends on the width and offset of the rim.

The bigger you go from the stock tire size, the vehicle will be effected more and more. Its not drastic, but it is present. It takes a little more to get up and go (i havent actually noticed a difference) and the will have an effect on braking (no very noticeable though).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I run a bridgestone 275.45.20 and they're great. Good compound in warm and in rain...

PLUS the tread is non-directional so the tires can be flipped when the inside starts to wear - as is common on the 'reg

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Did you notice a drop in performance or mileage when you went to those tires?

Do you think you could do a 50 series tire? What's the limit?
285/50 ought to be fine, just be sure the clearance on the backside is fine as it gets a little wider too. I'd be more interested in making sure your tire is of optimal proportions for the rim width. height is one thing but getting too wide or narrow can affect handling and ultimately safety. is the rim 9.5 or more likely 10"+ if so, the 285/50 is probably just fine. 275/45 is perfect for a 9.5" rim width though. I had that combo on a land rover last year using the toyo proxes st - very good tire btw.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks-I'm less concerned with width than I am with the height and filling the well well

I just hate a real low profile tire and open wheel well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey what kind of center caps are those? livin the dream? are they decals you applied?
how do those wheels work out for you? i just ordered some from lakeshore...thinking about doing the 275/40/20 as recomended by manufacturer
thnks

·
Registered
667 Posts
That's 32 inches nominal OD when 31.5 is generally regarded as the maximum and even then some report rubbing on lock.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I run 295/45/20. I had them on my 2012 VR6 with H&R springs and now on my stock suspension 2016 TDI. That is the stock size on the Jeep SRT so I found them not much more than the 275/45/20. might get just the slightest rub at full lock, but its very slight..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts