Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, where would be a good place to tap into the can bus wires on a 2012 Touareg. I am trying to not cut any wires, rather use the clip in the pic below that allows me to connect my rear view camera. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
CAN bus wires! Which wires?

If the load on that particular wire is not what the ECU’s are expecting it can give an error message,

Some wires only supply voltage and no current, some are PWMD, so I would be careful on which wires you are trying to connect to

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found several locations where in my case backup camera can be connected. While I did not want to add more load to the towing controller (as where most connected the canbus wires), we found the best location to tap to the canbus is behind the touch screen. If anyone needs additional help/info send me a PM.

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,366 Posts
Yep that or behind the climate control, easy access

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I found several locations where in my case backup camera can be connected. While I did not want to add more load to the towing controller (as where most connected the canbus wires), we found the best location to tap to the canbus is behind the touch screen. If anyone needs additional help/info send me a PM.
Could anyone shed some additional light on this?
similar scenario, trying to install backup camera. kit came with a 16 pin connector. i cant for the life of me find the tow controller behind drivers side fuse box. where/how can I tap in to can bus behind the touch screen?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Are you sure the kit is for the camera, I don't know anywhere where a 16 pin other ten OEM connector would got and why when a camera has only a couple of wires to deal with.
Maybe a pic or link of the kit you're talking about will shed more light.
You heard the saying in the early computer days of "garbage in, garbage out", stands true here on the forum as well.

tonyB

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,126 Posts
Could anyone shed some additional light on this?
similar scenario, trying to install backup camera. kit came with a 16 pin connector. i cant for the life of me find the tow controller behind drivers side fuse box. where/how can I tap in to can bus behind the touch screen?
Do you mean the factory 4 pin brake controller connector? Because the tow controller module won't be in that location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
White Light Gadget Audio equipment Font

this is the camera kit. instructions show to plug in the adapter i circled in red to a 16 pin port found behind drivers side fuse box.
The module in the center plugs into the multimedia unit in the glove box via LVDS. The wiring on the right attaches direct tot he reverse camera

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 253211

this is the camera kit. instructions show to plug in the adapter i circled in red to a 16 pin port found behind drivers side fuse box.
The module in the center plugs into the multimedia unit in the glove box via LVDS. The wiring on the right attaches direct tot he reverse camera
After some research, it appears this connector plugs into the PDC canbus. My Touareg unfortunately did not with PDC. Is there any way i can modify this to work or should i just return it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts