Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the cam chain tensioners, I have the car 2 months without using and changed the timing belt, water pump and pulley’s, everything perfectly en time, I rotate the engine about 50 times and the tensioner on bank 1 works fine the one on bank 2 opens a little bit,they fill with oil when I rotate the engine or what can be the problem, the plastic shoes are all fine.

· Registered
2010 TDI
561 Posts
Just a guess on my part, but I think it is because you don't have enough oil pressure. The oil pump has a much higher pressure output while being operated by a running engine than you turning it over with a wrench. The tensioner may need to get filled up by a higher pressure and then will be fine. If you can spin the engine faster (remove spark plugs), that may allow more oil flow. Or have faith that you put good tensioners in, put it back together, spin it over a few turns with the spark disabled, then hook it up and give it a go.

· Registered
2010 TDI
561 Posts
It might be worth it to check the videos about timing chain tensioners in this thread, post #13 - '05 3.2L Slamming Randomly. They talk about priming them before installation. If you are past that point and can't get them out easily, you'll need to try the other ways mentioned above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts