Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like to install a cable to charge my tomtom or smartphone. I have a 2015 Touareg r line.
Do you have any suggestion?
I was thinking to connect to the cigarette lighter as I have done with my Touran.
But I am having difficulties to understand how to open the center console.
I do not like flying cables and I do not like the tomtom charger always in. This does not allow me to close the ashtray cover. Not a serious problem but do not understand why even new cars do not offer a solution to this. A little door on the dash with ports will work perfectly. I have seen diy solutions but not happy to cut a hole in my dashboard.

Thanks,

F

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
So wire it into your side fusebox and have it on your side of the dash in the corner.... no cords all over or anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

The fuse box looks great, there is a lot of space behind the cover.

1) What fuse should I use? VW does not provide a fuse chart. I need one that is live when the car is on. I can check this with a tester. Ideally the cigarette lighter one but how can I identify it?

2) one cable will go in the fuse and the other in the metal behind the fuse? I suppose It will be a live negative? I can check this with my tester I suppose.

F

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been able to identify the cigarette lighter fuse. number 38 in the above video.

I think the fuse size is a standard ATO (about 2cm x 2cm x0.5 cm)

I will get a fuse tap like the one below link and I should be able to do my connections and easily pass the cable behind the dashboard.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-A-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Fuse-Tap-Standard-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATO-12V/312240515098?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I will first attach my TOMTOM charger. I cannot find on the Internet which one is the positive on the charger, so the one that will connect to the fuse box.
I suppose the tip is the positive and the sides are the negative?

I will probably use some electric tape for the connections. Not elegant but nobody will see it and it will be temporarily only.
In future I will attach a usb cigarette lighter adaptor for my smartphone. Anyway about the same. I believe they are all 5Volts.

Still I do not understand why manufacturers do not provide loads of USB ports in the cars. Some new cars have a few must admit but not all and not on the dash.

Thanks

F

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
2 Participants
TurboABA
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing