Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Since selling my R5 that i really loved and got myself a volvo xc60...i wont talk about this car!

Im In the market for a 2nd hand touareg as a work horse to tow the boat around. Preferrably after the v6 tdi with xeno lights (or are they led like the mercs?). Any advice what to look pit for? Ie common problems etc

I have about 25k to spend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
motegi, there are some very good Touaregs on carsales.com.au at the moment for that level of expenditure.

My advice would be to spend some time (hours) searching for cars that fit your needs, then search again with slightly wider parameters in terms of $ and/or kilometres so you start to get a sense of the market. Look at every car that comes up in your search. Do not go by the descriptions given by the seller/dealer as half of them have absolutely no idea what they are selling. I lost count of how many Touaregs were listed as having air suspension, but did not. I purchased my car from a dealer who did not understand the difference between 4Motion and 4XMotion. After I had signed the contract and the car was mine, I explained to him what he had done and asked him what he would have listed it for if he had known. His reply was "I would have started around the $35,000 mark and gone down from there". It pays to watch carefully, and know your stuff.

Another thing you can do is log into graysonline and pickles auctions and watch/listen to the auctions to get an idea of what things sell for $25K. I found this gave me some insight into what people are willing to pay for particular accessories. I also discovered that most dealers, when buying from an auction, are completely unemotional about a vehicle and instantly pull out of the bidding once the car exceeds a dollar value that they have predetermined prior to the auction. This is not surprising, and can work in your favour sometimes, but after a while you will be able to pick which bidders are dealers and who are private buyers by their behaviour in auctions.

Good luck. In my mind the VW Touareg is one of the most under-rated cars in Australia. I doubt you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Assuming you also want diesel, here are the search results for Touaregs in Australia under $25K with < 150K kilometres.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/volkswagen/touareg/7p-series/diesel-fueltype/under-25000/under-150000km-kilometres/?sort=~Price

You will notice that I have also restricted the search to the 7P model, which IMHO is vastly superior. Once you have set the search parameters and run the search, you can save the search and then set an alarm that will send you an email every time a new car is added to carsales that matches your search parameters.

I do wish carsales would allow you to add key words (like "tow bar") to narrow results down even more, but some people often don't understand how much us car nerds focus on specific features.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carsales actually do allow key words been using it and I have setup alerts.

3 questions...

1. Is it worthwhile purchasing the 150TDI? What are the major difference besides the down time engine?
2. What do you dislike about the touareg?

3. Have any of you had to replace the glow plugs and at what kms? I heard they are $6-700 a pop.

I remember when i had the R5 I hated how the oil was so act...

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 150TDI, particularly if you are not towing anything heavy. The fuel economy on both diesel engines is outstanding.

This is my first Touareg so I cannot comment on reliability or performance of glow plugs, except to say this - I have owned a MY07 Jetta TDI from new and I have not had a single second of trouble from the engine. Door handles that locked me out, cooling system pipes that leaked, batteries that died with no notice, but not a second of engine trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll likely get hammered for this but here goes anyway.............I would never have purchased a Touareg if I didn't need it for its towing capability, IMO there are better value vehicles on the market then a 150tdi Touareg, you're getting a base model car, steel spring suspension and not much else. Don't get me wrong I love our R-Line but if you are just looking to buy the base model I think you can do a lot better for the money then the Touareg. Now, if you're towing (as per your original post) and your doing enough hwy miles to keep the diesel happy and you don't need an off road 4WD then you will struggle to buy a better car then a 180tdi. This is just a total summation but I suspect 90% of the 150's would have been used for mostly suburban commuting and this would be the main reason that I personally would never touch one.

As for general maintenance, the VAG diesels have been around a long time now and have proven very reliable in recent years, they don't seem to have any inherent problems that set them apart from any other modern diesel engine in the passenger car market, in fact I would put them in the 'better then most' category.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm..interesting, what would you get rather than a touareg?
I'm not a big fan of the 150TDI as they get the smaller screen and wheels and lower power. but Ive had the R5 which only had 125Kw and 400nm of torque and I found that easy towed my boat around. after selling my R5 I wanted something a little fuel efficient and bought a Volvo XC60 and boy did I regret it! the power was nowhere near the R5 and struggled to tow my boat (1600kg), on the highway to the snows I was averaging 9L/100km whereas the touareg average around 7. The Xc60 handled worst than my boat.
Many moon ago bought a Mazda CX7 that uses PULP and the average milage around town was about 18L/100km, ever since Im afraid to touch underpowered 4wd...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with Paulie go the bigger engine my 2009 180 diesel towed both a heavy fibreglass 15' boat and a 2.9 tonne caravan around Oz and no issues - have seen plenty of preowed tregs on gumtree too as good prices - good idea to get low kms but the tow bar is good too make sure the electrics fit your trailer - had plenty of issues with the caravan due to auto brake system etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts