Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pull an airstream, about 480lb tongue weight and about 4000-5000 pounds loaded (23').

I am looking at Touareg 2's, like 2008, but they have high miles, like 150k. They are fully loaded though, like dynaudio, air suspension, all the options. The other route I could go is say 90k miles on a 2012, no air suspension but newer. I am trying to think which is the better route to go. As in how important is air suspension. I realize I can just buy a weight distribution hitch with the newer Touareg and likely be fine. I just worry about high miles as in 150k on a touareg, I am not sure what parts tend to fail around that time. I have about 18k in my budget but would prefer to spend more like 15-16k and trying to get the best I can get, can anyone suggest a year that is the sweet spot for that budget? I will fly ANYWHERE to get the cherry car.

Brian

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why the TDI? I realize its got more longevity but the premium they command, if you can even find one, its hard for me to make sense of it. Its not like a V6/V8 is $8k and a TDI is $2k more, people are asking like $10k over which for that price you could buy an even more modern Touareg. I guess what I am saying is it would be very hard for me to drop $18k on a 2008 TDI with 60k miles even.

· Registered
346 Posts
Like Brian said, why the TDI? I'm using a 2004 VR6, hauling between a loaded 150lbs 5-bikes rack to a 4ftx8ft utility mod trailer maxed loaded at 1150lbs, or 5800lbs wet weight boat trailer with the 23ft Bayliner 2255 Ciera Sunbridge (wish it's my boat), balanced tongue weight at 587lbs (which is a bit lighter than I want to prevent swaying). Lousy 11MPG going to the local lakes travelling in the slow city roadways, but manage to squeeze 15MPG going along the highways 90% of the way.

As @Xeno555 indicated, be ready to toss in at least a few more grands to take care of maintenance. I wouldn't even drop $12K for the 2008 TDI at that mile marker. We have a few 2008 V8 here at that high mileage at $7K or less.

· Registered
346 Posts
Correct. At high altitude, such as 3 waterbodies I hauled the boat trailer to, which were at 8,200ft and 9,900ft altitude, the VR6 didn't have that much power to pull the boat trailer without constantly kicking into higher RPM to get the vehicle up to 30MPH. However, pull the trailer between the ocean level to 3,800ft, not a problem whatsover. In between, a bit mix bag.

· Registered
145 Posts
Are you located in the U.S.? Unless you are looking at the V10's, all the Gen 1 V6 TDI's are eligible to be bought back once the settlement is signed May 11th, so I'm surprised you are finding any at all. If someone out there is selling one for $15K they are losing out on a lot more $ by just hanging onto it for a couple of months.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
I have done both the 3.6 and the 4.2 for towing. But high miles would go VR6 versus 4.2 because the 3.6 can come out the top if need be and the 4.2 has to be dropped out the bottom. All things said, I don't think of 150k as high mile as I am nearly there with both my Tregs and have zero chain noise or indicators.

The T2 (from 2008 to 2010) will be better for towing (in my opinion) due to suspension stiffness (if steel...which I have and run 770 lbs on the tongue with near zero sag). Air is nice, just wasn't in the cards for me with what I could find.

The 3.6 was build from 2005 (Passat) to present day (thinking of parts and people that know how to work on them. The 4.2 was made for longer than it was sold in the Treg which was early 2007 to mid 2009. My dealer had literally never seen one (kinda scary). The 3.0 TDI is soon to be an orphaned motor with unknown modifications and has some weaknesses of its own.

Go over to Vortex and read about VR6 durability, they are very solid motors. The VR6 was used (now different motor, but same idea) by Winnebago Rialta in the Eurovan RVs for years and I still see them on the road. Slow at altitude? Yes. Reliable and more economical to maintain? Yes. I have flogged mine daily for eight years and only recently had the valve body in transmission go. It has had zero (not one problem with motor) in all of its life (towing included).

Seems like you should be able to find something with around 100k...but I guess time flies.

Oh, my VR6 towed a 24' iron and wood box travel trailer 6,000lbs, 600lbs on tongue (trailer outgrown). My V8 tows our current 32' ultra lite aluminum and fiberglass 7,500lbs with 770lbs on tongue. Actual loaded weights including head, shank, sway, and WD bars. Both Trucks do great and have zero interest in more power...coastal mountain ranges included.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.