Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I joined this community to read more about Touareg's and it's flaws as I am currently looking for a used one to buy. I've found a 2011 Touareg Hybrid which looks very good in person and on paper. All maintenance has been done at a VW dealership way before the actual milestones all through its current 61,000 miles. However, it appears as if they had to replace the entire long block on this vehicle (done at the same dealership) and this leaves me rather concerned. My question to you: Should I? Are the 3.0T known for being unreliable? After all, the same engine is used in several other Audi models, right? How badly is this going to affect the residual value. I am in the States for only another 2.5-3.5 years and I don't want to loose too much money when re-selling it.

I'll have the car today overnight for an extended test drive. Anything else I should watch out for?

Appreciate your advise very much!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
What is the warranty on the batteries?

"How much will they cost to replace?" will probably be the very first question in a buyer's mind when you are trying to sell an 8 year old car just before you leave the US?

It's a nice car, but . . .

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The Touareg is a rare car...I still get the "it's a VW??" from folks...then there is the Hybrid version...I know very little to nothing about it...but you might try posting in the hybrid only thread...located here:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f49/hybrid-only-79221-58.html

I think posting in the above thread should notify anyone who knows anything about Hybrid Touaregs and you might get better feedback.

Good luck and welcome to CT!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't pay attention to Nooby, he is the resident Hybrid Hater. ;) Problem is, though, he usually makes good points.

I think the Hybrid battery warranty is 8 years or it might be the same 10 years, 100,000 miles as the power train.

Either way, the Touareg Hybrid is a kick ass car, but like Nooby has pointed out in other threads, it's technology is dated. It really needs a bigger battery and bigger electric motor and plug in abilities. (Like cousin Cayenne received recently.)

Most of us have had growing pain issues regarding the Hybrid specific components and no major issues with the motor. Like you mentioned, the motor is a fairly normal engine for Audi vehicles and has good reliability or they would have dumped it a long time ago. My biggest issue with the motor is helping VW techs figure out how to work on an Audi engine that they have never seen.

As for residual value, many people may not be as vigilant as you are regarding the past of the vehicle. I assume it has a clean title, but you just caught the replacement in the CarFax? Most people check the CarFax and if all the little green arrows are checked then they are happy.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
864 Posts
I test drove one and thought it was great. I did notice the steering wheel shake around 50 mph that is a problem, but seems to be somewhat common on later Touaregs from what many have posted here.

If you like it, I would suggest buying it. I would have bought the one I was looking at but the dealer liked it more than me when it came to the price....

Also a suggestion I will offer, take the opinions from people that have actually owned one. I know with the V10TDI's being so rare that people with the strongest negative opinions are those that don't own them, (I think they are great and I own three) same may go for the hybrid as they are even fewer owners out there.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Don't worry about the battery. There are companies that "rebuild" your battery array. You won't have to pay new "list" price for a replacement battery, IF you ever need one.

I sold a hybrid Escape and the battery array was fine. In fact, the buyer was not concerned about it, either. Prius owners log close to 200,00 miles before some people start needing battery replacement.

The good news about the engine replacement: You got a newer engine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for your valuable feedback! I think noobytoogy has a fair point. The hybrid drive has a warranty of 8 years/100,000 miles, so as long as I own it I won't face any issues. But I would be one of those potential buyers in the future being concerned about battery life and running out of warranty. But then again, there are tons of people out there that absolutely do not care about stuff like that or accept not having warranty on a 8+ year old car.
It is a tough decision as I really like the car and its technology and yes, it is probably a plus that it has a completely new engine. Although it still leaves me somewhat concerned why it had to be replaced in the first place...

It's listed for appr. 26,000 USD which I believe is quite competitive due to the car's history. I'll let you know how I decided and thanks again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Engine replacement could be something stupid like the last owner never checking oil level or a tech dropping something while filling it.

Try to talk to the Dealer that did the job, they should be able to tell you the reason in was replaced.

The 3.0T is a great engine, really smooth, Its light years ahead of the 3.6 FSI.

One good advice I can tell you is don't buy a car without warranty if you can't afford repairs. This a reason I baught a 3.6, I did not have the budget at the moment to pay 8k more for a comparable TDI so I'm putting more gas and have a lot of $$ to spare on maintenance and repairs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bought my 2013 on Dec 31st with 19,000. To date it's been in the shop 27 days. Has run normally no more than 5 days of that time. IT's now running like total **** again. Missing multiple cylinders, no doubt due to yet another coil (4 replaced so far) or more.
Dealer knows NOTHING about the car. After 2nd visit they told me they know nothing about them, have never seen one, were never trained.
VoA says ALL dealers are authorized hybrid service centers and would not refer me to a dealer that might actually know somethign. Last service was 120 miles away where I bought it and they had 1 trained tech. Ran good after that. For 12 hrs, then engine lights back on. They had it for 9 days.
This will be the 4th visit for the same problem which qualify's it under the state of Indiana LEMON LAW.
Visits to Audi and Porsche forums show a significant pattern of coil problems with this motor.
when I called VW Roadside Assistance and told the operator it was a hybrid, he immediately asked me if it was shaking badly and no power (as it is). HE KNOWS ABOUT IT!!!
Run, Run, RUN, FAR AWAY from that POS.......................

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Don't pay attention to Nooby, he is the resident Hybrid Hater. ;) snip
We like to use the word 'curmudgeon' Adds class!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have seen pretty poor reviews from owners of the Hybrids. Now I am sure there are good and bad ones but I would be thinking reliability if I was buying to sell a vehicle in 2 1/2 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi y'all! Just a quick update: i did not buy the Hybrid but found an outstanding example of a 2008 Touareg V8 with only 35000 miles on then clock. As much as I liked the gas mileage you could get on the Hybrid, V8 power can't be beat ��

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Good choice, you will love it! We love ours. The V8 FSI was only available in some 2007 all 2008 and some 2009 years... so it is sort of "rare" i guess.

Oh and we recently filled with premium at only 1.20 a gallon (with discount) so who cares about fuel mileage right now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My hybrid is awesome. Issues I've had have been issues that any T3 could have. Hybrid power cannot be beat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you want a Treg get a diesel and have great mileage and power. I would personally never buy an 8 yr old hybrid ,because if the battery age. I don't trust batteries in general from personal experience. Too many boats that had problems with them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Doesn't the diesel have a HPFP? Oh yes it does. Mine was over 8k to fix. Lots of others have that little gem of a problem just waiting to bite them. I think I will take my chances with a battery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
915 Posts
fleabag, If you paid 8K to fix your HPFP ,you didn't ask the VWoA to step in. VW has extended coverage to over 100K miles. I have seen HPFPs replaced at 150K if you check out the TDI web site. Go back to VW and get your money back .

Tregs have almost no issues with HPFPs if you look at the statistics, even Jettas and Passats have had a tiny rate of failures. Fear not the HPFP in the Treg.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
In my opinion the diesel and the hybrid are both more complicated and seem to be more problem prone than their naturally aspirated 3.6 and 4.2 gasser brothers (from what I read on here).

Specifically with the V8 the sound and smooth power band is great. No waiting for the turbo, no on / off electric motor... no "you pull that with a V6?"

I looked at the TDI 3.0, and wanted one but I feel like V8 motors are on the chopping block because they don't have an "eco" face. I opted to buy the V8 for this reason, who knows when it will be back in the Touareg in the US...same goes for the V10...I am still tempted on that all the time, just don't want the repairs...

With my wife's V8...every time I punch it and it sounds like the Dukes of Hazard I smile...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts