Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the title states I am considering getting a used touareg as my first car and college commuter. I am looking at getting one with less than 100k, or up to 10k over. I would like the v8, but its not a must. However, I do have my concerns. The car has a lot of electronics, especially the early generation (2004 and up.) I'm wondering how reliable are they now after 11 years. Will they cause a lot of trouble now? How reliable are the engines? Anything major that I may need to look out for? I know that it depends on how the car was maintained but are there any problems they are prone too? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
See the FAQ about buying a Touareg.

Unless you're a WEALTHY college student, (is there such a thing? LOL!) I'd honestly steer you away from a Touareg. They were luxury vehicles when new, and the parts still command high prices when it comes to repairs. Buying a similar ages GM, Ford or Dodge product would be a better way to go. Cheaper repair parts and you can even find parts in the junkyards. When's the last time you saw a Touareg in the U pull it junkyard?

Mine is a fun vehicle and I love driving it, but when something breaks, it's usually expensive. Unlike GM parts, they're not always common to other models and therefore you are limited on buying used parts.

Case in point, mine still has the temp tags on it and it has already racked up a large repair bill. As they say, YMMV. But as you've described yourself, I'd honestly recommend something less expensive to repair/maintain. Get a Touareg when you've graduated and have a nice job to pay for the repairs. :- )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and direction to sub thread. I figured that the electronics and other miscellaneous things where going to rack up a bill. The Touareg is a thought but I think I'm going to end up with a wrangler just because there a significantly less things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
A new Touareg is not a good choice for anyone on a budget.

An eleven year old Touareg is even less of a good choice for anyone on a student budget!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Thanks for the reply and direction to sub thread. I figured that the electronics and other miscellaneous things where going to rack up a bill. The Touareg is a thought but I think I'm going to end up with a wrangler just because there a significantly less things that can go wrong.
Electronics will eventually go down in price (that's just the nature of electronics), but if you have issues with the center driveshaft bearing, t-case, rear diff, air suspension or other hard parts, you will be hard pressed to find spare parts at the U-pull it yards.

Wranglers fall from the sky in wrecking yards and you will have better luck finding inexpensive used parts for a Wrangler, especially an older model. The new ones have just as many electric/computer parts, it seems.

Note that I didn't say a Wrangler was more reliable. It IS a Jeep, after all. LOL!

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts