Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discussion Starter · #1 · May 31, 2022

I may regret this, but I'm going to buy a cheap '04 T1 V8 wheat beige/beige. Why?? It's cheap. A ton of little issues. Battery, Radio/Navi is dead, needs front wheel bearings, rear hatch supports, maybe air suspension leaks. Rear brake pads/rotors. Tranny shifts roughly. Other than that it's great. LOL. I'll post pics when I get it home tomorrow. It has all the tools and the air hose for the 4CAirSus and all the tools. Missing rear hatch cover and only had one key. It has no maintenance records so first goal is the battery replacement, all the fluids, oil, tranny, diffs, coolant and full timing belt/water pump, t-stat and serpentine. Do you all on the forum rent/loan the timing tools out to each other so I can do the timing belt? I've been watching videos of the timing belt and will comb through the forums for more DIYs. I have seen two videos that discussed water pump bolts breaking. Does anyone have a recommended procedure to avoid that issue? Heating them first? Of course PB Blaster or similar first. Thanks,
Al
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Hi mexglx. Beautiful Touareg project - good plan for repairs and maintenance too.
using the Advanced Search feature will help you in pinpointing issues/resolutions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Touareg was for sale in Houston and I saw and texted the seller and he said it was sold and pending pick up so I guess that was you😂😂 small world.
That’s a coincidence. He told me he had some interested and I told him all the things that were obviously wrong. I had my wife drive it and she said hell no. The tranny was slipping and bucking. The battery was super dead so we had to jump it with two vehicles. So I originally walked away making no offer. After a day my wife asked if I could fix it and make it reliable. I said, for $1K I could update the maintenance as I listed above then see where we are. If anything ugly came up, we could sell it and break even. But if it went well, it might be great for another 100K miles so my daughter can drive it. #1 thing is making sure the timing belt gets done before I drive it anymore and I also check the cam adjustment tensioner pads. Then all the fluids. If I do those things and she drives right, then I’ll do the rear pads/rotors, front wheel bearings, stereo and interior buttons and keep her awhile. It’s got the center and rear diff locks so it could be a lot of fun off-road. No hitch though. The guy had zero records and claimed he was a Dr., needing to move and that it sat for 3 years. Who knows the true story?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found maintenance records through Carfax that the timing belt was done at 82K miles. Good News. While that is good news that it was done once, it is also 13 years ago. I am still planning on doing the timing belt as soon as I can get all the parts. Even though I have almost 15K miles before I need to replace the 2nd timing belt, it's got a lot of years. I'd rather do it ASAP.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
372 Posts
I probably would have walked way because of the transmission slipping and bucking. You are certainly on the right track with what you want to do first and foremost. Do the timing ASAP. Keep us updated on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I probably would have walked way because of the transmission slipping and bucking. You are certainly on the right track with what you want to do first and foremost. Do the timing ASAP. Keep us updated on it.
I’m hoping it was from sitting for so long and having a trash battery affecting the electrical sys. After I do the transmission fluid change and drive it around a bit, I hope the tranny will adapt again and smooth out. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have VCDS? You can reset the transmission through VCDS
Going to order one from Ross-Tech. Kicking myself for not keeping my old one when I sold my Passat VR6 in '15. Didn't know if I'd get a VW again.

I would not give any Touareg to any of my kids to drive
Why, too unreliable or too expensive to fix when they break it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right headlight out. I was going to swap bulbs L toR to see is the problem was bulb but some previous tech or owner tore up the left headlight removal screw. I have grabbed it with vice grips and it won't turn before the grips slip. Soaked the horizontal shaft in PB blaster. I will try tomorrow to remove it after a good soak or I'll start cutting some access to get to the horizontal shaft directly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Going to order one from Ross-Tech. Kicking myself for not keeping my old one when I sold my Passat VR6 in '15. Didn't know if I'd get a VW again.

Why, too unreliable or too expensive to fix when they break it?
The Touareg is a Tank, it's not about the safety aspect of it. But in my experience of all the cars I've owned the Touareg was the car that left me stranded the most.
That's really the reason why I ended up selling mine, the last time it left me stuck stuck on a 95 degree day. I had to drag the thing home with a tow rope.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Touaregs are crap.... actually, VWs are! Stay away!
You do know you are on a VW Touareg site? My BMW has a bunch of fatal flaws too, as does my Chrysler Pacifica. There is not a car immune. I like quirky cars that fill my need for self-flagellation. It's the brief moments of joy when everything works, that keep me going through the long dark days of something not working.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You do know you are on a VW Touareg site? My BMW has a bunch of fatal flaws too, as does my Chrysler Pacifica. There is not a car immune. I like quirky cars that fill my need for self-flagellation. It's the brief moments of joy when everything works, that keep me going through the long dark days of something not working.
Don't listen to him, He's never happy lol.

I've owned Many Vw's. My scirocco 16v had over 700k miles on it and still would start every day and was a rocket. I have 3 Audi's and a Porsche right now ( Can say there VW if you want) I love them to death. I always try to stay within the Vw family.

I was only mentioning the bad, I love'd my Touareg. It gave me some of the best memories. When it worked? Ughh nothing like it. I bought it with 210k on it and sold it with 225k on it. She was high miles, but the paint and interior looked new. I even regret selling it, I miss seeing it every day. It's a quirky car for sure, I had two Land Rover Discovery's. They had about the same quirkeyness. ( Maybe the Touareg was a little better)

It's an amazing car, but to give to your kid to drive? Just make sure it's 100% and then check it 3 more times

1 - 20 of 34 Posts