Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I call for insight into my latest investment into Touareg love.
Today, I'm buying a used 2015 VW Touareg TDI Sport with over 170,000 miles. It was reportedly well-maintained, had no major work outside of routine maintenance and synthetic oil changes with favorable multi-point inspection report at last (Sept2019) synthetic oil change performed at 169,814 miles claiming no service recommendations.
I ask members for issues I should prepare myself for. What foreseeable risk potential or risk mitigation may be helpful in the purchase of such high-mileage TDI. Feedback, advice, insights, please... Thanks in advance to everyone for your time & consideration!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way, way too many miles for a 4 year old car.
Owner says all highway miles and well maintained as per owner's manual. Highway miles are the best, no? That gives me a mileage proven, very affordable newer TDI than I could otherwise afford.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Owner says all highway miles and well maintained as per owner's manual. Highway miles are the best, no? That gives me a mileage proven, very affordable newer TDI than I could otherwise afford.
I have heard of it. You know I am not sure when it was fixed, but all service records are going to be provided when I finalize the purchase this Monday.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You need to do some reading. Start here.

Short story... a "fix" was applied to bring it into emission conformance. As a result, from that date\milage, you have an extended warranty on lots of things (see above links).

Given the fact that it is very young, it would indicate that lots of highway driving was done, which is typically "easy" on a vehicle. Make sure you get your transmission\diffs\trasfercase "lifetime" fluids replaced ASAP since they are more than likely original. Other than that, you potentially have yourself a good buy (assuming everything works as it should on it)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Volkswagen Emissions Modification Programs
Vehicle (VIN) Included in Settlement:YES
Modification Approved by EPA and CARB:YES
Modification Completed for this Vehicle (VIN):YES
Vehicle has Extended Emissions Warranty:YES
VIN=WVGEP9BP6FD002851

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to do some reading. Start here.

Short story... a "fix" was applied to bring it into emission conformance. As a result, from that date\milage, you have an extended warranty on lots of things (see above links).

Given the fact that it is very young, it would indicate that lots of highway driving was done, which is typically "easy" on a vehicle. Make sure you get your transmission\diffs\trasfercase "lifetime" fluids replaced ASAP since they are more than likely original. Other than that, you potentially have yourself a good buy (assuming everything works as it should on it)
Thx for some positive feedback I hoped to see, bargain-buying a hopefully long-lasting TDI with no devastating gremlins identified in its 170K miles. Hopefully it was getting broken-in.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
So you have

4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification

Meaning you need the details of when it was "fixed".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, unfortunately, I just confirmed with VW that though the corrections were performed Nov13, 2017, the warranty period has already been exceeded due to additional miles driven since the repair. Well, hopefully, I will be able to put another 100,000 miles on it & they will have begun selling TDs in America again in time for me to replace it with a fresher...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
IMHO, unless you are very mechanically inclined and have an above average level of knowledge about these CR TDI's, you're better off avoiding this purchase. Do you have all maintenance record for what has been replaced over its lifetime? The typical wear and tear items aren't that important, but once you get into Turbo\HPFP\DPF and related, you're talking about very high cost items which will not be cost effective to get replaced by a dealer, etc. How good of a deal are you getting on this that you're overlooking this potential "timebomb" issue? A HPFP could take out the whole fuel system and the repair would run you $8k+ if it does. Are you comfortable with that kind of risk?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Certainly I hope to avoid drastic costs! It seems for my luck, i am getting a newer TDI for just a couple hundred over trade-in value. Its below KellyBB & hopefully has only an abundance of highway mileage with good care/maintenance on it as a company car. It seems almost like a fairytale used car catch, a gem for bargain shopper with AWD-TDI tastebuds. I know it’s risky, but hope for the best. Pray for me

·
Registered
173 Posts
No one on a budget should ever buy a Touareg.

No one can tell you if your well used car will be a good buy, or a bad buy.

As the miles increase parts inevitably wear out and you will be the one picking up the bills for forthcoming repairs.

Have you checked brake replacement costs? Tires? Servicing?

Reading between the lines you may not be that comfortable looking at the three noughts on the end of possible Touareg repair bills.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have you checked out the threads on HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) failure?

Cost? Around $16,000.

As long as you know what you could be letting yourself in for, crack on

1 - 20 of 70 Posts