Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Today, I am inspecting a 2012 (MY13) V6TDI with air suspension, low range, driver assistance package, area view, tow bar and panorama sunroof. It has almost 130,000 kilometres on the clock and the dealer is asking almost $29,000.
My question is this; what, if anything, are the things I need to pay particular attention to when inspecting the car?
I had hoped my OBD scan tool would have arrived by now but it's still in transit so I am left a little blind. My focus has been on 2014 models,so I am not as familiar with the 2012 model. I know I need to ensure the sunroof drains are clear, the main seal is not leaking or the rubber swollen. Any assistance or hints would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,808 Posts
Welcome.

Check the service history. Is it a local car, can you go and talk to the workshop that serviced the vehicle (if non-dealership). Check the wear/life remaining on the brake discs/pads. Try and see if the towbar is aftermarket or genuine VW/Westfalia, because you really do want genuine, to be sure you have the OEM tow module installed.

Check seat buttons/controls...no parts missing?

$29k is not bad for a car of that age, klms. But I'd haggle a little more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try and see if the towbar is aftermarket or genuine VW/Westfalia, because you really do want genuine, to be sure you have the OEM tow module installed.
There was a 12-month period around 2012 when VW in Australia were unable to offer a VW towbar. I suspect that quite a few owners of MY12 and MY13 Tregs fitted an alternative after-market towbar rather than wait for VW in Australia to get its act together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the car out. The tow bar is genuine VW. Everything seems good. No leaks, everything works. Trying to talk dealer down to $28k.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes, it sounds ok, always go harder than $1k off. Use the redbook pricing as your ammunition, that's what they use when they try to steal stuff off innocent people.

Start typically with 10% short of asking price but do your diligence look country wide for similarly equipped and kilometers cars and MY. It's always a balance as there are never two used cars the same. You can always come up a bit, never down further.

Check tyres to for even wear across the tread.

You say Low range, does it have locking rear diff?

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I have gotten the dealer down to $28,500. Not much of a discount but they had two other calls about the car while I was there and they simply would not go any lower than that.

The car has 4 brand new tyres, and the rear locking diff. From what I can tell, it has been very well looked after.

One question I have is regarding the application of GST. I thought GST did not apply to second-hand goods, but the invoice show $2,500.54 for GST. Is this correct?

·
Registered
182 Posts
If this car truly has the locking rear diff, then the price seems pretty good. Check the link here. From a dealer they have obligations within a time period to put right anything that’s wrong.

With the GST, the price should be GST inclusive - so within the $28,500 not additive.

If there are other interested parties that is hard for you to bargain down more.

In the end it comes down to you, if a full service history and you can talk to previous service centre and it is pretty good service history and no lingering serious issues, then you can’t do much more.

How do you feel about it?

Pete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Pete,

I feel pretty good about it to be honest. I know it's not possible to keep all emotion out of a purchase like this, but I had all my ducks lined up and was ready to pounce when the right car came along. I had decided before I arrived at the dealership that I would buy the car if I did not find any glaring faults.

I have been looking seriously for over 4 months. I knew what I wanted, had finance all sorted, and was in no particular hurry. I scoured the Touareg forums world -wide and read just about every posting on every subject I could. I started focusing on just 2013/2014 models and this is where I came a bit unstuck, as I did not expect a car with all the things I wanted to present so tidily.

The air suspension was a must as far as I am concerned as I have both my octogenarian parents living with me, and hip/knee replacements make getting in/out of the SUV a bit precarious, so lowering it makes the job much easier.

To be honest, I don't think I will need the rear locking diff that much - I simply want to be able to go camping with my daughter, son-in-law, and their two little kids and they have no intention of going too remote while the kids are young.

I'm not fussed on the colour (black) because I know these things can get damn hot in summer, but the panorama sunroof will let most of the heat out pretty quickly when I come back to it after leaving it sit in a car park for a couple of hours.

The only thing I found during the vehicle inspection was a slight rattle upon startup when the engine was cold. I'm under the impression this may indicate the Timing Chain Guide is on the way out, but the repair is sub-$1,000 so all-in-all I'm expect to become very pleased with this car.

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like your mind is made up. I would support that based on everything you've said.

Pete.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chimesy, if you’re not that fussed about getting a 4XMOTION with the rear diff lock...buy my car! 😁

SYDNEY, AUS - 2013 V6 TDI FOR SALE, REDUCED AGAIN $32,450 ono
Hi Dino,

I did. :)

You car was on the top of my buy list for over 6 weeks, but you weren't willing to be reasonable about the price. I mean no offence by this. Dropping $10 here and $50 there is not going to cut it in this market. The car I have just purchased has everything your's does, plus a VW factory-fitted tow bar and the rear diff lock. Granted, there are 15,000 more Ks on it, but that is less important to me.

I reviewed every single Touareg that came onto the market in Australia over a period of 4-odd months. I spreadsheeted their details and calculated kilometres per year, kilometres until end-of-life (300,000 Ks); I applied a score for features/fruit based on what I consider mandatory, "nice-to-have", "didn't care factor", model year, manufacturer year, stamp duty payable, external colour preferences, upholstery colour preferences, etc. I ran percentage calcs against the vehicles to rate them in order of value for money and cost per kilometre to end-of-life.

I then rang/texted the seller/dealer of those that scored above a certain level and asked questions that allowed me to apply a subjective score for those cars. (As an example, I asked one dealer about the cost to supply, fit, wire, and full coding of a tow bar. His replies brought me to the realisation that he had no clue about the complexity of the task, the specific requirements of VW coding and his price was so ridiculously low that I immediately removed that vehicle from my consideration).

I think you have a very presentable Touareg, and I'm was also comfortable that I would find its condition all that you say it is, but in the final analysis, I did not see the value matching the price. There is no doubt that you have one of the most outstanding Touaregs for sale in Australia at the moment, but the price is holding you back.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to the brissie Touareg brigade Chimesy. Might see ya round somewhere. I am in the Indooroopilly/Milton area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Snerlo. I don't actually reside in Brisbane, but I find myself in BrisVegas quite often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like you have found the right car Chimesy, I can't wait to show the mrs your post, she thinks I'm the only person on the planet that builds a spreadsheet to judge and or score a potential car purchase..... lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... I can't wait to show the mrs your post, she thinks I'm the only person on the planet that builds a spreadsheet to judge and or score a potential car purchase.....
There's another way to buy a car? :oops:
It was a lot of work, but it's paid off handsomely.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Other way to buy :)
Right place right time
My recent purchase a month ago.
MY12 air + low + diff locks
161k, one owner, full VW history, uncommon brown interior.
area view camera, memory seats, air conditioned seats, 4 zone air conditioning, great cooper tyres, power tailgate, near unmarked interior, bi- xenon bending headlights, tow-bar used for box trailer only.
No accident history.
Has the std rear oil leak :cautious:

cost $6-8k lower than what i am seeing advertised .

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's another way to buy a car? :oops:
It was a lot of work, but it's paid off handsomely.
I bought an E46 M3 back in 2010 (still have it) I had the mother of all spread sheets running on that purchase, I think at one stage I was evaluating over 40 cars and the only thing that stopped me going insane through the whole process was the math!! When I bought the Touareg I really, really, really wanted the Cayenne S Diesel but again the math just didn't support it verses the Touareg.

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
1,808 Posts
Sounds like you have found the right car Chimesy, I can't wait to show the mrs your post, she thinks I'm the only person on the planet that builds a spreadsheet to judge and or score a potential car purchase..... lol
I do this as well, but on previous occasions, not quite as detailed.
My method focuses on and tracks the sellers price, with due consideration towards options fitted etc etc ensuring there is a history of pecking order (especially if a new player enters the spreadsheet with more or less features required, wanted or not needed).
My wife couldn't understand why I would be on the computer as soon as I got home from work, to update the spreadsheet and see where everything was at.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts