Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, i'm at the point of purchase

The car drives well, has been well maintained but with all cars, certain years have certain issues, so i'm reaching out for everyones advice.

its an Automatic, 2.5 diesel R5 with 107,000 MILES
Gearbox seems ok, if i take the oil cap off, there is no big blowing over my hand.
Turbo pulls well too.

Is this a CVT gear box?
I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.5 V6 TDI which has some issues with the CVT auto gear box, so not sure if it shares the same gear box or not

What would you look out for?
I dont have VAG COM at my disposal, but I know the owner and he's owned the car for 3 years and has been transparent about the history (nothing major)

Please let me know what I should be looking out for

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There's no timing belt on an R5 nor the V10, and nor is there a timing chain: they are both gear driven.

The R5 auto - like all other T1 and T2 Touaregs - has a 6 speed Aisin gearbox with Sport and Tiptronic options to wake it up!

The key thing on an R5 [and V10] without a DPF is using the EXACTLY the CORRECT engine oil to prevent premature camshaft lobe wear. Even VW dealers have been known to use the wrong oil.

Sit down for a couple of hours and carefully and thoroughly read this thread which will get you up to speed.

Buying a used Touareg. What to look for. - myTreg forums

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all
I'm really torn about the yr 2005 one I'm looking at with a 2.5 engine
I seems like it does develop issues which are expensive to fix???

I have read so much I think I have information overload!!

Should I wait and save more for a 3.0?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Thanks all
I'm really torn about the yr 2005 one I'm looking at with a 2.5 engine
I seems like it does develop issues which are expensive to fix???

I have read so much I think I have information overload!!

Should I wait and save more for a 3.0?
Touaregs were expensive to fix when new. They don't get any cheaper to fix as they get older, they're just likely to go wrong more often!

Don't buy a old Touareg if you're on a budget - you might need deep pockets at some stage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts