Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice this?

After you think the AdBlue tank is "full", hold down the Kruse bottle, and bump the Touareg to rock it back and forth. The AdBlue tank will take another pint or so of AdBlue as it "burps" trapped air in the tank.

I now refer to this as "burping the big baby".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kruse bottle is the way to add DEF, using funnels is what led to my heater failure, my opinion. The air space facilitates salt creep, salt creep increases the specific gravity of the DEF and likely facilitates component corrosion of the unit.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
984 Posts
Kruse bottle is the way to add DEF, using funnels is what led to my heater failure, my opinion. The air space facilitates salt creep, salt creep increases the specific gravity of the DEF and likely facilitates component corrosion of the unit.
There's also a hose which connects to the Adblue filler, has the same double valve and air relief pipe and the other end connects to VW 5/10 litre containers of Adblue - these 5/10 litre containers can be refilled from the pump at filling stations.

The double valve is designed to stop spillage on the bodywork.

I think there's meant to be a small air space at the top of the tank, to allow for expansion in hot conditions after filling when cold - I won't be "burping" the Adblue, just as I don't fill the fuel tank beyond the first auto cut-off. Brimming gains so little there's no point.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Def will freeze and expand by about 7% below about 12* F. If you are far enough north to see temps that low, I would not suggest burping the tank to get every last drop in but presumably the tank should be designed to handle the expansion anyway.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I wonder if burping it is bad. Could it have been designed to in fact have that air space after "normal" filling? Maybe shouldn't burp it? Hmmmmm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts