• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
See post #5 - the porsche...
Ok, I see now, not being rude, but this is all about Touaregs not other brands even though they may share the same or similar platform under the skin.
Also we are not looking to go rallying or bush bashing, we just want some way to mount lights etc and front protection if hitting animals, mostly at night when driving on the Tassie roads.
The amount of road kill here is just about enough to supply a zoo at feeding time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
hmmm. You wouldn't have that much face to fix to on a 7L which has a smaller lower part to the bracket.
I think for now I will just concentrate my time etc on the 7P series as there are way more of this series than the 7L on the roads here.

·
Registered
2008, Touareg R50 (~160km) - working on rear wheel carrier, winch and driving lights.
59 Posts
Ok, I see now, not being rude, but this is all about Touaregs not other brands even though they may share the same or similar platform under the skin.
Also we are not looking to go rallying or bush bashing, we just want some way to mount lights etc and front protection if hitting animals, mostly at night when driving on the Tassie roads.
The amount of road kill here is just about enough to supply a zoo at feeding time.
I think he was saying that the rock sliders would also fit and provide protection - admittedly not really much value for animals - my experience is you're buggered if they run into the side of you, but usually not undriveable. I might consider them, but local fab is probably easier than trying to ship them.

·
Registered
2008, Touareg R50 (~160km) - working on rear wheel carrier, winch and driving lights.
59 Posts
I think for now I will just concentrate my time etc on the 7P series as there are way more of this series than the 7L on the roads here.
I have a spare bumper support for a 7L in the garage waiting to hack it for a winch mount. I will take some photos of it for you when I am home.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Doing this on my phone and not wearing reading glasses...

However some photos in this thread look similar to the purposeful looking bar on that white Touareg for sale and it seems it was compliant - but not cheap!

This is the response that cam back from Buffalo Equipment regarding the one you referred to.

Thanks for your enquiry but unfortunately this product has been discontinued and hasn’t been made since 2014.

Kind regards
Rob O’Neal
Phone: 07 5446 8122
Mob: 0447 001 472

·
Registered
182 Posts
What you are proposing would not protect from bird strike. I ran into a Cockatoo on the way to Carnarvon Gorge, QLD, and this is the result:

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

I would like some mesh protection a bit like in the picture on post #2. Although I don't know how much it prevents air flow, so something like stainless steel fly mesh that they put in Crimsafe house fly screens would allow better air flow and keep the pesky grasshoppers, and birds, out of the intercoolers.

The air flow would be a concern for me because I tow a caravan.

As long as all the sensors work (note I have all the options on my Treg), it doesn't look too intrusive and it's easy to remove then I would consider having such a product on my Treg. I have no idea of the cost of these things, but it cost me $260 to replace the lower grill, so I'd be willing to pay that to prevent the bl00dy Cockys head butting my car. 🙂

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to all who have responded so far.
I may not have been clear enough regarding the info you are including with your responses, I have done many many hours of searching the internet and thus have found all of the info you are mentioning.
It will be very different in each country but here in Australia we have some of the most demanding and restrictive laws in the world regarding motor vehicle modifications and accessories.
So even though it may not have been approved as an ADR (Australian Design Rule) compliant product, it can still be fitted and removed with ease for those annoying yearly inspections required in some states here.
Maybe someone can provide helpful info regarding the low volume point mentioned by SEAFARER28

CONCEPT DESIGN
Below is my concept design so far, there are still some more tubes, cleats, plates, mount brackets etc to be added and I will do this over time.
My intention is to go for powder coating for the finish, this provides a choice of colour to be similar to the vehicle it is going to be mounted onto, it is also easy to touch up with paint if chipped etc.
Mirror polishing ads many hours of work and therefore cost.
The recovery eyes will be an option as they are not cheap and a suitable bolt can do the job.
Any custom front bar is going to be costly when producing in small volumes, but what are the alternatives when considering the level of protection vehicle owners are wanting?
I want to stay away from the sheet metal design as this will take a lot more work and unless it can totally replace the plastic bumper then will still look less than attractive.
Plus there is the ADR issue to consider.
View attachment 248522
I'd happily pay 1000 for 1 I also have a engineer friend that can get adr

·
Registered
59 Posts
What you are proposing would not protect from bird strike. I ran into a Cockatoo on the way to Carnarvon Gorge, QLD, and this is the result:

View attachment 248585

I would like some mesh protection a bit like in the picture on post #2. Although I don't know how much it prevents air flow, so something like stainless steel fly mesh that they put in Crimsafe house fly screens would allow better air flow and keep the pesky grasshoppers, and birds, out of the intercoolers.

As long as all the sensors work (note I have all the options on my Treg), it doesn't look too intrusive and it's easy to remove then I would consider having such a product on my Treg. I have no idea of the cost of these things, but it cost me $260 to replace the lower grill, so I'd be willing to pay that to prevent the bl00dy Cockys head butting my car. 🙂
I don't have a photo, but a cockatoo can break your windscreen and dent your roof, bonnet, A-pillar (for instance). I think it's futile trying to protect against this sort of stuff. Aluminium flywire mesh (not crimsafe) can stop the intercooler being clogged with bugs. All that said it is not as easy to get in there to clean the mesh.

The main objective with what @TASSIE TIGER is trying to do is smallish wildlife like you get in Tassie - wallabies, pademelons, etc. It is going to probably allow you to drive away from a roo hit, but you will still need panel repairs and a new bar if the airbags didn't go off. If the airbags go off you need a new car. Hitting a cow or a camel is a new car in any case.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If that's the case then I think it's too much of a niche market for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am happy to look at adding some type of mesh or perforated sheet ally to the bar, even some horizontal bars that mimic the broken grill is possible, but it would be in the form of removable panels.
When I can get time I will add this to the design and post here for your review.
The 1st thing is to get one made and fitted to make sure it is going to fit right and look ok.
I am still in the process of sourcing suppliers in my area and have had some success with this.
It will be several weeks before I can even consider having the bar ready to fit as the demands on materials and labour here in Tasmania is crazy right now.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Good luck (y), look forward to seeing the prototype.

TonyB

Reactions: clutrz and mondial

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think that the steel fly mesh, possibly welded into the tubing, would be good because:

- It would be much easier to clean than having normal fly screen behind the grill,

- It would allow more air through than perforated steel plate, therefore cool the intercoolers,

- It would allow easier cleaning of the section of the car behind the screen than the perforated grill, and

- If one wasn't driving too fast, I believe it would protect against most bird strikes.

Note that the plastic grill on my car broke without damaging the intercooler when the Cocky head butted my grill, I was traveling at 100kph.

Reactions: mondial

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that the steel fly mesh, possibly welded into the tubing, would be good because:

- It would be much easier to clean than having normal fly screen behind the grill,

- It would allow more air through than perforated steel plate, therefore cool the intercoolers,

- It would allow easier cleaning of the section of the car behind the screen than the perforated grill, and

- If one wasn't driving too fast, I believe it would protect against most bird strikes.

Note that the plastic grill on my car broke without damaging the intercooler when the Cocky head butted my grill, I was traveling at 100kph.
Was the cocky embedded in the bumper? I suspect it was more of a glancing strike.

For sure stainless mesh on the bar would be easier to clean.

·
Registered
102 Posts

View attachment 248585

I'd be interested pending the cost and how good it looks. Some of those examples posted are truly ugly! Will air bag sensors still work?

A little off topic, but does anyone in the brains trust know if that grill section can be removed/replaced without replacing the whole bumper? I have similar damage from a low flying tree root (somewhat harder than a cocky but equally annoying) and would like to fix it up one of these days.

Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was the cocky embedded in the bumper? I suspect it was more of a glancing strike.
No. The Cocky wasn't in the grill. Maybe I was lucky though I felt unlucky at the time. 🙂

·
Registered
182 Posts

A little off topic, but does anyone in the brains trust know if that grill section can be removed/replaced without replacing the whole bumper? I have similar damage from a low flying tree root (somewhat harder than a cocky but equally annoying) and would like to fix it up one of these days.

Cheers
Yes. The smash repairers took off the bumper bar, replaced the grill and then put the bumper bar back on my Treg. They explained to me that the plastic grill was attached to the back of the bumper bar. That's why they had to remove it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes. The smash repairers took off the bumper bar, replaced the grill and then put the bumper bar back on my Treg. They explained to me that the plastic grill was attached to the back of the bumper bar. That's why they had to remove it.
Great. Thanks for that. I'll see how much a new one will cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts
21 - 39 of 39 Posts