Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, the driver's door window glass on my 2013 Touareg TDI was broken out. (It appears that thieves followed us from the bank to a grocery store and then to an upholstery shop, and tried to do a quick break-in and theft in broad daylight on the shop's parking lot with shop workers nearby while we were inside the shop.) VW's price to replace the glass is about $600, but they can't do it until Monday. A local glass shop (next door to the upholstery shop) that I have used before, but not for vehicle window replacement, will replace the glass for about $200 and can do it today. The glass brand is Pilkington (I think), which they claim is high quality, and the shop has a good reputation.

My question for anyone who has had Touareg window glass replaced is whether aftermarket glass and replacement is acceptable in lieu of OEM glass replaced by the VW dealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Bummer!

My hang up with this is the factor glass (perhaps only in some years???) has a slight tint to it and I couldn't be positive it would match 100% in the sun.

That said never had a Window replaced yet.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
982 Posts
I don't know about door glass but I replaced an undamaged aftermarket windshield for a VW windshield because the quality difference was notable.

I think there is a company called Saint Garmain or something like that, is the quality aftermarket glass. Most glass installers use the cheap stuff unless you are specific on what you want.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
St. Gobain Sekurit is the OEM glass. Sorry for your troubles. Not sure about side windows, but I did have my windshield replaced last year with OEM glass. I did not use the dealer. Maybe your insurance will cover it and recommend a qualified installer with OEM glass. Good luck.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've had the same happen. In my experience, go somewhere knowledgeable. I'm not sure if VW uses laminated front glass now (clearly not) but I used an aftermarket brand, Pilkington. They're used in Honda's, etc. Works great. Just have someone who knows what they're doing install it. Ask them if they've worked on the type of car before too.

What happened to me is I got it replaced, glass was fine no problem but they didn't install the hinges correctly and the glass fell down while I was driving. It's good glass I guess lol, didn't shatter when it fell and fell hard. I then had to bring it to a local shop because the door was held in by so many rivets and what not and the guy f*cked up the whole door. In total, what I would've done is bought the glass seperate and brought it to them. If you have time you can even get a cheap used OEM off of eBay off a crashed Treg. I'd just go with the Pilkington like I did at a reputable place.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. They are installing the Pilkington glass now. It has a slight tint. Will post results and pics later after completed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!! I think the $200 quote is from someone who's never been inside a Touareg door. It's a JUNGLE in there. Extremely difficult to get to the glass, and tedious work to get everything back together correctly.

I posted a few weeks ago that when replacing the slide tracks for the window (which they will have to do) use a bolt with threadlock instead of trying to rivet this. My attempts at riveting didn't hold up to the factory standard.

If they manage to get this all back together and stick with the $200 price, I guarantee they'll never want to see another Touareg!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Why are Touareg doors such a pain? Audi A6 doors of the same time frame are easy as pie (and very solid)
There are several reasons. First, many of the rivets holding the door panel in place and some of the things that are attached to the door panel were done from what is now the interior of the door. This makes it impossible to just drill them out or remove simply. They have to be ground off from what is effectively the back.

Second, the order of install is the window slide mechanism, then the glass, then the outer door skin. So you have to remove the entire mechanism BEFORE you can even get to the glass. The winder motor is bolted through the inside door panel, so you basically have to disassemble this to get it loose and hope that the cable spool doesn't pop out of the housing.

Finally, before you can remove the glass you have to take the entire door frame apart. The top half comes off - frame and all - THEN you can slide the glass out.

It's full of booby traps and things that are just a pain to work with.

I read that the OP's window has been fixed and if he got away with a $200 bill then he got the deal of the century.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts