Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm, Yesterday (2/23/2016) my 2006 V8 with 87,7xx miles on the clock was on the way to the dealer for 90,000 check up. After a brief stop, it started making a clicking sound when i started it. The engine had a really rough idle at a red light and the check engine light started blinking. As the RPM's picked up, the engine light would transition from flashing to steadily staying on. As the RPM dropped, it would run rough and flash. The Dealer is telling me the cam tensioner on one side broke and i am looking at a minimum a $3,700 repair and there could be more problems once they get inside.......All service has been at dealer on schedule including the timing belt replacement at 80,000 miles. The service rep suggested i may want to trade it? Seems like quite the failure for an engine with so few miles. I don't know what to do......,.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, that is terrible for an engine with so few miles. I would see if VW and dealer will work with you on this as "goodwill". That is way too soon for an engine failure.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It kind of sounds like a bad coil pack. VW engines are generally interference design - meaning if something goes wrong it eats the valves. It doesn't sound like you ate valves though - which would lead me to a could pack (possibly). Once you've had one go, you know. You would think the engine is going to destruct. Anyways, something to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have no choice, you might want to check out if it will be better to be traded, because the repair will really cost you some $$$$..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts