Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chers tous (that will be the end of my French lessons to all for the day)

Landed from Niger last Sunday 5 am.
Test drove a 2005 Touareg V10 TDI in the afternoon.
Took off for Kinshasa Monday morning.
Landing Friday in Johannesburg at 5 am.
Second and last visit to the V10 later that morning. Starting to process paperwork. Flying out to Burundi on Sunday.
A week later hopefully returning to find it in my garage (wife would very gladly oblige to drive it in).

Already considering an engine tune up, from 'Diesel Torque' in South Africa
+34kW / +100Nm.
Also looking for 18'' wheels rather than current 19'', to be mounted with mixed tyres. I enjoy serious off roading.

Excited to join you all!
Au revoir (so much for my initial promise...)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do take the time to read this link carefully and thoroughly. You'll learn a lot.

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/10163-buying-a-used-touareg-what-to-look-for/

Key thing on your V10 is using EXACTLY THE RIGHT OIL to avoid premature camshaft lobe wear and, note, even VW dealers can get it wrong! VW 505.01 or VW 506.01.

So, unless you know with 1,000% certainty the right oil is in the engine, your car is due an engine oil and filter change ASAP along with fresh ATF in the gearbox, fresh oil in the front and rear diff and, purchased from your VW dealer, the correct 850ml bottle of transfer box oil.

Enjoy your new motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just completed the reading of your compilation and found it extremely useful. I highly recommend it.!
Many thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there
Quick update on our recently acquired V10 TDI.
Completed 4,000 km. No incident so far.
In the process of fixing a few inherited issues: rear brake pads, rear right stabilizer bar, new lock for the rear window as it rattles a fair amount.
Installed blue tooth.
Went on a 1,700 km holidays, pulling a 1.1 ton trailer, including off road. Did average 13.6 l/100 km. So consumption is far to be an issue.
Only remaining matter is one of the motor dedicated to self leveling of the front lights to be replaced. A bit of a budget (about $1,200 inclusive of labour). Unless anyone knows of a cheaper way.

Visited three VW dealers certified to deal with Touareg. Settled on the one who has been taking care of this particular vehicle for the past 3 years. Appears to be very knowledgeable. They were another 2 V10 in the workshop when I went there. Full check reveals no fault (other than the leveling lights).

In conclusion, so far an exhilarating experience. Only that I am already getting used to the power, and could do with more. The torque however had led me to a new world: trailer+offroad+quite an incline (i cycled it so I know): D4 at 1,200 rpm. Mind blowing!

PS: Can't figure out how to post pictures

1 - 5 of 5 Posts