Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day!

Here are few photos from the first beach drive on stunning Bribie Island. Due to my on road tyres I was sort of expecting to get bogged at least once that day but thanks to 16psi pressure and turned off all electronical gadgets I managed to past through few land cruisers (aka grandma's wardrobe aero dynamics) without getting bogged at all.

Bonus of the trip was exiting the sand. Exits are the scary part of any beach drive, though there was a Patrol got bogged and dug a massive hole while getting rescued by Jeep which they both got stuck at the end and it took them bloody forever to get out. So I was on the line waiting my turn. I said to myself keep the momentum runnie and just try not to stop at all times. So plan was locking the diff and low range run with 4th gear. It was the right thing to do at the time but one thing I didn't see was the hole they left behind them. The time I entered the hole I knew It wasn't gonna end so well, milisecond after, I could see the sky quite clearly because front wheels were in the air. I even had time to make that weird eye contact with my wife and BOOM! front wheels landed on the ground back again but it made such a sound that I thought I smashed the front end. Still couldn't stop because I was still climbing on soft sand. As soon as reached to hard ground, pulled over to take a look. Thank god it was all fine but the plastic that supposed to protect the underbody was broken in two. So it did it's job. And I was very happy to see nothing else was damaged. :) Only regret is I wish I had my GoPro set...

Enjoy the photos and also if you want to get some photos done of your car, I can quote with discount to club members. To see more car related photos search for "Doruk Visual"

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we should organise a day out. Who is from Brisbane or surroundings? Would be awesome with a big crew. Maybe one night camp somewhere.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Depends on other commitments, but I would be interested.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think we should organise a day out. Who is from Brisbane or surroundings? Would be awesome with a big crew. Maybe one night camp somewhere.
Same here, keen to join a SE Qld get together depending on commitments (weekend 29 Apr-01 May out, Anzac weekend could be out - but right now can do mid weeks). Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
789 Posts
There really shouldn't be any problems with sand driving, except for big holes like the one you found.

I tried my Explorer out on fine, dusty sand at The Spit, Southport.
I drove straight off the road with 38psi and let the auto 4wd take over just to see how it went. It went good.
I'd expect at least as much from the Touareg.

·
Registered
360 Posts
There really shouldn't be any problems with sand driving, except for big holes like the one you found.

I tried my Explorer out on fine, dusty sand at The Spit, Southport.
I drove straight off the road with 38psi and let the auto 4wd take over just to see how it went. It went good.
I'd expect at least as much from the Touareg.
Big difference with The Spit is that it is flat. Sand driving up an incline changes the story. Maintaining momentum and tyre pressures are a must... no matter how good the 4WD. Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I should clarify Flash635, with the momentum comes some caution as dorukatay experienced... especially in sand as it is often very difficult to see the dips and hollows, the washaways and holes :). Sometimes it is better to pick a new line as the sand can become deeply rutted and with some serious hollows where drivers bounce going too fast with high tyre pressures. Not to mention that sand itself varies greatly. Just saying, for those interested.

Dorukatay - maybe we try Morton Island? Or were you thinking something different to sand? A number of great national parks within 2-3 hours from Brisbane.

Video below was early morning, not too hot and the sand still had some retained moisture. Good fun!

[ame]https://vimeo.com/152115366user47879902/[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts