Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the cost of all 4 break-job should cost in Canada? I'm trying to make sure the dealer is telling the truth.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealer is giving me an estimate of $2,200 CAD. They didn't even mention if my auto needed rotors and pads or if it could just get away with replacing the pads. What would y'all recommend?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have asked them if it actually needs rotors this time around. The vehicle is only 3 years old.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Christ on the cross! Do not take your Touareg to the dealer for a brake job! Good quality OEM parts are around $500-600 CAD (4 rotors and 2 sets of pads and 4 wear sensors). Labour can't be more than 2 hours.

Go to an indy shop. Having brakes done is not a difficult job, and pretty much any shop should be able to tackle it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess a better question that I can't seem to get a direct answer from google is it worth it to get the rotors done each time you need break pads? Or could you do the rotors every second time around?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I guess a better question that I can't seem to get a direct answer from google is it worth it to get the rotors done each time you need break pads? Or could you do the rotors every second time around?
That depends on how many miles are on them, if they're badly rusted, and what's their thickness. If you have less than 30,000km on them I would leave them. Between 30-50,000km you would need to measure them and decide. Over 50,000km I would replace them. Also, replace the fronts if you have any vibrations or shimmys when braking (warped).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my break warning light has been on for almost a month. It comes on when they are at 3 MIL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's just unclear when i'm reading online if you need to get break pads and rotors .... or can you just get pads and rotors are something that don't need to be done every time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As I already said, you only need to replace the rotors of over 60,000km, too thin, or if they're warped. Otherwise leave them and just replace the pads.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Bracus,
What mileage is your car?
I have heard of some unscrupulous dealers telling their customers that they need a brake job when they don’t really.

Don’t penny pinch too much on brakes, it will only lead to hardship!

I was 120k before requiring first set of brakes! Brake warning light never came on! I did the work myself. I have 207k km now and last month I did my 2nd brake change. I had to change the emergency shoes, so i had to tell the software to relearn the shoe thickness on the new shoes. Yours shoes will be unlikely not require changing.

With regards to needing discs. If the thickness is near the minimum then change the discs, pads, sensors, hardware kit. I think it would take longer to replace discs, pads and sensors than 2 hours.

The dealer should be using OEM parts which and it would take 4 - 6 hours if its done properly for all 4 wheels

Discs can be machined but can give headaches if not done properly and only if after machining the discs are not close to minimum. I have just replaced them each time because they were close to the minimum wear thickness.

Zimmerman discs with Pagid pads are the ones to go for. Brembo discs and pads are also good. Stay away from TRW, Repco, Munroe and any other no-name brands. Not worth it
If you can’t figure out what you need for a proper brake job, then its best to take it to an good, known, indy shop and cough up the reddies!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think it would take longer to replace discs, pads and sensors than 2 hours.

The dealer should be using OEM parts which and it would take 4 - 6 hours if its done properly for all 4 wheels
Perhaps if the work is performed by a one-legged, one-armed tech in the dark. I firmly stand by 2 hours, perhaps up to 3 hours if all the bolts and pins are seized.

If you lived near Vancouver, I'd replace all 4 rotors, pads, and sensors for $850 CAD all in. OEM Brembo rotors (fronts are directional), and Pagid pads.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Touareg brakes can give 100,000 miles of good service. Some folk have claimed more.

Personally, over the ten years I've been following the Touareg sites, I'd say 60 to 80K is fair but note that some people have run through their brakes in just 25K!

So, just like tires, brake life depends on how you drive and where you drive.

Regardless it seems that many VW dealers gouge customers on brakes by using fear with some even saying your car won't stop when clearly it does perfectly well and will continue to do so for many thousands of miles.

So never ever use a VW dealer for brakes.

Brakes are not rocket science which is why many folk do them at home!

Unless there is an obvious failure of some kind, you wait until the pad wear light comes on after which, under average driving conditions, you will still have a couple of thousand miles to organise a visit o the workshop.

In the meantime, ask around and find a good independent you can trust who will give you straight answers.

The first thing to note is that there is only 1 mm of wear on each side of the discs/rotors before they are unservicable so you can't machine them.

A good mechanic will measure the disc/rotor thickness to determine whether they are still serviceable or if you need need to replace them.

Some people have been able to get two sets of pads to one set of discs/rotors but it's not usually possible if the mileage travelled is high.

Best practice says you replace all 4 corners at the same time to maintain effectiveness of braking.

I admit I'm not convinced by this as over the years I often just replaced front discs/rotors as the rears seemed fine but I'm prepared to accept best practice in the case of a 2 ton plus SUV!

As for time taken, 2 hours should cover the job in any competent workshop.

You can use OEM parts ( Pagid pads and Brembo discs) which can be bought at good discounts.

There are plenty of other makes and many, many brake threads on here with any number of posts recommending other makes and combinations thereof!

So find a good independent and save money!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the answers everyone! This might be a dumb question but i am unclear.... when the warning light for breaks goes off (2015), does that mean the pads are worn to 3mil .... or the rotors are at 3 mil ?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks for the answers everyone! This might be a dumb question but i am unclear.... when the warning light for breaks goes off (2015), does that mean the pads are worn to 3mil .... or the rotors are at 3 mil ?
i...... must....... resist.......

The pad has the wear sensor.....
Have you ever looked at a rotor? Especially a vented rotor? It would be impossible for one to wear down to 3mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The "typical" way a large dealership shop works, is they charge "by the book" time.
What this means in lamen's terms is that there's an industry "reference" being used, which says you as a mechanic\tech are allowed X amount of hours to perform a certain job. This allows shops to charge an almost "standard" price for a job.

As others have mentioned above, it is very possible that you do not need to replace "everything", and even if you did, a competent shop/mechanic that is not trying to rake you over the coals can do the job in half that time.

I strongly suggest shopping around for alternate quotes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OP - what is the mileage on the car? This is key info for this discussion.

I would be very surprised if the rears need changing at all unless you do a lot of heavy towing.

The only way to determine if the rotors are OK is to measure them and work out how much they have worn in the X miles your have driven and then work out if they will make it to the next X miles before being under sized.

But if you are a month past the warning light you are risking damaging the rotors anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can someone explain why they are trying to charge me 5 hours labour for the break job? The total cost are written in pen on the estimate is $3200 CAD. Can anyone confirm if they are charging me more than usual for labour?

What is the handwritten $300 for?

5 hours doesn't seem unreasonable to do all 4 corners and their calculated hourly rate ($116) seems OK for a dealer too, cheap actually. If it was 4 hours at $145, that would seem OK too, still coming up to $580 labour.

And please, the word is "brake" not "break", even in metric. We have all been too polite to mention it before, but I haven't had my coffee yet :).

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
About this Discussion
92 Replies
25 Participants
RobL
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing