Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm starting having vibrations on the steering wheel when I brake. Vibrations are felt especially when braking smoothly and above 80 km/h. I´ve changed the front rotors and pads about 20k. At the back at the time I've just changed the pads. After doing this job every was nice. No vibrations, althought before making this job I've felt some vibrations, but not like now. Yesterday, I've inspected the front rotors and pads and everything seems ok. At the back the rotors seems to have some "waves" on the surface and have exceeded the 2mm wear.
Do you think this vibration may come from the rear discs being nok?
I have already ordered Zimmerman rotors, that I will exchange as soon they arrive. I will try to use the pads they only have 20k, and at the back they are almost new.
Can you give me your advisor opinions? Many Thanks!

·
Registered
811 Posts
In most German (and Japanese..) cars, when you change the pads you MUST change the rotors. They wear about the same rate. You cannot turn German (or Japanese) rotors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,

sorry but I don't agree. I had Japannese, Frenche, and Germans cars. The rule is the same, you change the pads when sensors warns! Rotors you change when the thikness specs is achived or if they are defected!! Normaly rotors tive time are 3x pads life time, altought it dependes of the rotors and the pads.
However thanks for your opinions!
Have anyone had vibration with rear rotors nok? or the vibrations are only felt when the front rotors are nok?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, you'd be wrong. I've owned 7 German cars and probably 10 Japanese cars. If you don't change rotors when you change pads, you end up with problems... Kinda like the exact reason you started this thread 🤔

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
6 Posts
Well, you'd be wrong. I've owned 7 German cars and probably 10 Japanese cars. If you don't change rotors when you change pads, you end up with problems... Kinda like the exact reason you started this thread 🤔
Well you are wrong. I've owned 24 German cars from Audi S4, BMW S54 Clownshoe, MK4 R32, many GTI and GLIs and now a Touareg, 4 British, 3 Italian, 5 Swedes and one big mistake Japanese car. NEVER had the rotors needed to be changed with pads whether I or or certified tech changed them. Total waste of money unless rotors do not measure out correctly. The Japanese car....unloaded it way before pads wore out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Touareg rotors/discs have a wear tolerance of 1 mm on each face which is why most people need to change both rotors/discs and pads at the same time.

A few have managed to run a second set of pads before the rotors/discs are out of service.

No one ever owns up to the fact that the second set of pads were probably operatng on out of service rotors for tens of thousands of miles before the inevitable rotor change!

The very low wear tolerance is a reason why you can't turn Touareg rotors/discs.

The 2.5 Tdi, Genetation 1, base model Touareg, which used parts from the Transporter van, enjoys 2 mm wear tolerance of each face of its rotors/discs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you are wrong. I've owned 24 German cars from Audi S4, BMW S54 Clownshoe, MK4 R32, many GTI and GLIs and now a Touareg, 4 British, 3 Italian, 5 Swedes and one big mistake Japanese car. NEVER had the rotors needed to be changed with pads whether I or or certified tech changed them. Total waste of money unless rotors do not measure out correctly. The Japanese car....unloaded it way before pads wore out.
DO you know or have youu experience, if defect rear rotors can cause vibrations on the steering wheel or does it only hapens with front rotors?
Many thaks

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
6 Posts
Touareg rotors/discs have a wear tolerance of 1 mm on each face which is why most people need to change both rotors/discs and pads at the same time.

A few have managed to run a second set of pads before the rotors/discs are out of service.

No one ever owns up to the fact that the second set of pads were probably operatng on out of service rotors for tens of thousands of miles before the inevitable rotor change!

The very low wear tolerance is a reason why you can't turn Touareg rotors/discs.

The 2.5 Tdi, Genetation 1, base model Touareg, which used parts from the Transporter van, enjoys 2 mm wear tolerance of each face of its rotors/discs.
As a new owner of a Treg, this is good to know but I guess I'll find out as time passes and miles add up what the real answer is. I never had this occur with any of the 20 VWs or 4 Audis owned. Never turned rotors either. But this is certainly a different beast.

·
Registered
2017 Wolfsburg
6 Posts
DO you know or have youu experience, if defect rear rotors can cause vibrations on the steering wheel or does it only hapens with front rotors?
Many thaks
Sorry, no. I wouldn't even venture a guess as so many things can cause this. I'm still learning the Treg and have a long way to go.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Many thaks
YES. The rotors are probably too thin and heat warped like crazy. Or else there is likely baked on brake deposits sitting embedded in the rotor.

Make sure to bed in your new pads and rotors properly

·
Registered
139 Posts
My Audi Q7 had bad vibrations. Turned out the tires were not balanced....put on a known set of balance tires and the issues went away.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts