Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a new Touareg 2016 Wolfsburg edition in Nov 2016 and went for a first service recently around 18,000 kms. We love the car.
We were planning to have a towbar fitted at the first service which we didn't as the dealer came up with the brakes issue.

I was told by the dealer service rep that the front brakes have gone down to 5mm and they recommend to replace all brake pads and rotors. Quote is around $2500.
According to the service rep nothing was wrong with brakes being replaced so soon. He tried to push the issue on the driver but all tyres have normal wear and tear.

My wife drives the car everyday in city for going to work and she is not a spirited driver. She used to drive a toyota before and the brakes replacement happened around 120K.
I am not sure what is causing the brakes to deteriorate so quickly.

Any pointers / suggestions in locating what is causing the brakes to wear down so quickly would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ajit

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Brakes normally do not wear out that quickly!! You already know that, too!!

Tell them to go pound sand.

Ask them to put it on the lift and pull a tire and show you. If they really ARE worn out, it sounds like a warranty item. Even if it's a wear part, that's WAY too early!!!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This is a classic up-sell by a VW dealer.

It's well known.

18,000 kms is way, way, WAY too early and the service advisor is crackers if he thinks that is anywhere near normal on a Touareg. Moat folk get at least 60,000 MILES and some nigh on double that IN MILES.

Drive the car until the brake wear light comes on. You will still have a couple of thousand miles to do the job when it does.

In the meantime ask around and find a good independent VAG shop who will be able to do stuff like this for you a lot cheaper.

Sometimes people can get two sets of pads to one set of discs / rotors but not always so the starting point is to measure the disc / rotor thickness to see if they are still serviceable to take another set.of pads.

It is possible that you may have sticking calipers that have caused excessive wear but as above that is a warranty issue on such a new car.

In the meantime I would consider the dealer is gouging you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to explain similar stuff to the service rep. but he was not willing, so i left it there.

I got details for one independent VAG mechanic in my area. I will get his opinion.
We will drive it, till the sensor light comes on.

Is there a minimum rotor thickness recommendation for taking another set of brake pads.

Also, i was wondering if Adaptive Cruise Control usage could cause a lot of brake deterioration?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting this. This is a post on FB page "VW Touareg Owners" from yesterday:

Hello all, just a question, had Touareg for a year now done just under 10k first service today and front and rear pads down to 90% worn at front 75% back, main dealer £305 for front pads and same for back replacements. Why would they be this low after these miles ??? Surely pads don’t wear down that quick do they ?? Reasonable wear and price ? Help appreciated.

The owner posted a copy of the service printout..definitely states 90% worn front 75% worn rear.

I would definitely have expected the brake wear light to have come on before they reached this point.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
On most Touaregs the pad material thickness new is around 7 - 8mm with a wear limit of 2mm (not 5mm) and the brake wear sensors tend to go off at 3-4mm leaving you with a comfortable safety margin to get the work done. Even at 2mm it is still not unsafe but at that stage I would be getting serious about replacement. The disks only have a 2mm wear allowance and the thickness depends on model and if it is front or rear rotors(disks). Euro cars in general wear out brakes a bit quicker than Asian or US vehicles but not that quick unless someone drives with a foot on each pedal.
John

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Interesting this. This is a post on FB page "VW Touareg Owners" from yesterday:

Hello all, just a question, had Touareg for a year now done just under 10k first service today and front and rear pads down to 90% worn at front 75% back, main dealer £305 for front pads and same for back replacements. Why would they be this low after these miles ??? Surely pads don’t wear down that quick do they ?? Reasonable wear and price ? Help appreciated.

The owner posted a copy of the service printout..definitely states 90% worn front 75% worn rear.

I would definitely have expected the brake wear light to have come on before they reached this point.
Can you give me the FB link please?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ACC shouldn't cause excessive brake wear. All that is doing for you is apply the brakes for you in situations where you would have done the same thing. And probably do it in a gentler manner than any human would ever do.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wear sensors should indicate at around 3mm remaining material thickness, this leaves about 1500 miles remaining before true damage to the rotors (metal on metal contact).

If you have NOT actually looked for yourself, you are relying on the dealership-technician to be competent and honest in their assessment. (hehhehehehehhahahahLOLOLOL..pardon me)

Personally, I believe they are WRONG.

BUT, you should get absolute verification, because if the pads ARE truly worn out so soon, SOMETHING ELSE is wrong with the brake system.

As proof of dealership malfeasance/incompetence/honesty , I was shown a checklist chart at 20K miles. My pad thickness was very low at 4mm and I should think about getting them replaced soon. I said "OH, ok, I'll remember that" and went home, pulled a wheel and measured it myself with a scale. Not even nearly worn out.

At the 30,40, 50, 60K service intervals, no more checklists or mention of worn pads from the dealership...Well... Maybe it was simply a technician with no skill at the 20K service.

Currently at 75,000 miles, brakes still work great. No pad wear indication yet, haven't looked at the pads since then. Dont care until the indicator lights up.

The only GOOD reason to change early, would be a big trip towing (1000's of miles) if your pads were near the minimum it would be prudent to replace them before that trip so it wouldn't be needed DURING the trip. I will have to look into this myself before my Spring camping trips towing my trailer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Be glad they didn't recommend some new suspension arms or maybe a new DPF lol.
Look I know how ungifted females go through brake pads, but 18K is absolutely retarded. Your rotors should still be brand spanking new at that point.
And 5mm of thickness on the pads is no reason for a change. They still have plenty of kilometers to go...
But you should still take a look at them, or have a serious mechanic check your brakes. Just to be sure. I'll easily do 65k km and change the pads just to be a nice guy. My rotors last well over 150k on any car... and not because I'm cheap, they simply don't need to be changed.
I prefer to stay away from dealerships for a good reason...

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wife drives our Touareg during the week on weekends my LS430 sits I drive Treg as much as possible. I had the dealer tell me my pads on the LS where down to nothing and needed replacement when I had my rotation. My side mechanic who does some work also looked at em said they where at least 1/2 thickness I been drivin em 20k miles, so be aware of techs and advisors having to make commissions.

I never change rotors on my LS430(v8 RWD) just do a "pad slap" as there is never any vibration or pulse and good to go.

I think the Treg brakes last a long time but this is my first German car, for myself and the poster do ya need to replace the rotors for some reason cause VW tells ya to if they are not pulsing or vibrating or warped or can I do a "pad slap"..

·
Learner
4,719 Posts
Thats way too early! I suggest that you inspect and measure yourself or seek assistance from good independent shop.
If Brake light indicator has come on then you still have 2000kms atleast- in my opinion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to 2 different independent mechanics.

Both of them said their is no need of replacement right now. The front pads are getting close to the sensor but drive till the light comes on. Rear ones are fine.
Even after the light comes on, their is still braking left for more distance. None of them specified how many Kms.

Mechanic A - They would quote me for after market parts made by the same manufacturer that make the OEM parts.
They also mentioned people don't buy OEM due to cost factor. I am waiting for their quote.

Mechanic B -
Rotor replacement is not required but it may cause squeaking noise.
They would only use OEM parts. They have already quoted and the price is lot $$$ less than the dealer.

I also called up the dealer and asked them about any warranty issues if any after market components are used as brake pads and rotors. The service rep said it would void the warranty.
I am not sure if replacing the brake pads and rotors with aftermarket components would void the warranty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also called up the dealer and asked them about any warranty issues if any after market components are used as brake pads and rotors. The service rep said it would void the warranty.
I am not sure if replacing the brake pads and rotors with aftermarket components would void the warranty.
The service rep is full of it. Brake pads and rotors are consumables and NOT covered by warranty, therefore replacement with parts other than OEM won't affect warranty at all. The parts themselves will have a warranty. If he persists with that line then tell him to feel free to replace your pads and rotors under warranty.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
731 Posts
Adaptive cruise really eats pads on a 2017 GTI Autobahn. I had to replace mine at 60k miles. My 2016 GTI S with 97k had original pads that looked brand new when sold. The only difference was the adaptive cruise between the two cars... would guess the Touareg is the same?

·
Registered
150 Posts
In my understanding, heavy AWD vehicles are tougher (than lighter cars) on tires and brakes. Years ago when I first started looking at Tregs, a very reputable VW indy recommended I budget for new tires and brakes every year (about 20k miles) based on his experience with early T1's. That being said, for our Touaregs and the way we drive, we are still on original brakes at 131k miles for our 2009 and 40k miles for our 2014. No brake sensor light on either. Haven't looked closely at the '14, but there is still a little wear remaining on the 2009, even at its high mileage.

That much wear, that early (11k miles), would seem to indicate a problem, greatly different driving style, or a combination of both. The city driving you mentioned will be more demanding, adaptive cruise might have an effect but can it really be used much in city driving -- maybe so. Some drivers use two feet (brake with one, accelerator with other) and can ride the brakes nearly all the time. OK for NASCAR but not so good for brake wear, but it didn't seem to affect your earlier vehicle according to your description. Something seems odd, given your indy corroboration of heavy front brake wear. Good luck in addressing the issue and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Touareg never fails to surprise.
Tires and pads should need to be replaced very frequently. Yet it doesn't eat tires, and it clearly doesn't burn through brakes. My RWD 7 series blows through tires at an alarming rate: I'll change rear summer tires every year and a half. 275/45/19 so they are INSANELY expensive. I've put 10k km on my Vredestein Quatrac all seasons (ridiculously dangerous on snow btw) on my T3 and I bet I could wash them and sell them as "brand new"(which I won't lol).
You expect it to be thirsty, but it isn't.
Expect it to handle like a truck, and it handles like a boat.
It's a really unique vehicle.
If you see two pedals, and think "ok I have two feet", you should really start to worry. Best way to teach someone how to drive an auto is to ask them to place the left foot under the seat... that's how I was taught. If I try to VERY slightly touch the brake pedal with my left foot, I'll lock the wheels, roll over and die. Maybe because I'm used to slamming a clutch pedal with it. That's one way to get bald brake pads at 18k I guess...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Touaregs are NOT heavy on brakes or tires.

The drivers might be though!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts