Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes Access Workshop Message & Not Shifting Smoothly into "R" and "D"

I have a 2008 Treg w/137,000 miles.
Yesterday I got in and started the car. Initially it did not want to turn over. I took the key out and tried again. It started and there was a loud beep with the message "Brake Access Workshop".
When I initially placed my foot on the brake to start, it seemed hard. When I put my foot on the brake for the second start, the brake pressed all the way to the floor.
I just needed to drive down the lane so I put it Drive. In shifting it to R and then down to D, I noticed a bit of a jolt. I tried this again and same reaction.

I drove down the lane and noticed that the car did not seem to want to change gears. As I accelerated it did not shift up.

I returned home and parked it.

I have since tried to do a bit of research but am unclear what may be causing this.

This morning I went out to start it. Again, initial key insertion and attempt to start made it seem like the battery was dead. The brake seemed hard to press. I removed the key, reinserted and the car started right up. The brake pad pressed all the way to the floor to start. No "Brake Access Workshop" message.

I placed it in R and D. Still the bit of a jolt in shifting. When doing so this morning I could hear something like a small motor, buzz on the right front. ( I am NOT a mechanic by any means.)

I know that I need new brake pads. But don't think this is the real issue.

Would it be safe to drive to a mechanic?

Thoughts, Input, Suggestions?

Many Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
With the vehicle not wanting to shift gears and the message you are getting, I would suggest it has gone into "limp-home" mode and suggest strongly that you don't drive it, but get it flat top towed to a competent VW mechanic. Driving it may be quite unsafe. Under no circumstance have it towed with a tow truck which lifts only one set of wheels as this will damage your transmission and cost $$$$ to fix.

Stuart...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Maybe your brake booster is bleeding down overnight? Maybe the vac lines from the vacuum pump to the brake booster are bad. Who knows. <shrug>

Without a VCDS scan, you're blind.

X2, I would not drive it in that condition. Have a rollback bring it to your friendly neighborhood VW mechanic or buy VCDS and diagnose/fix it yourself. :- )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts