Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not that I have an issue with the brake rotors and wear but they are already down to min thickness levels, well I have about 2mm left. So I bought new OEM brake rotors with my dealer $500.00 I get a discount through the dealer so I bought some parts.

I decided, hey I'll send them off to my friends at Frozen rotors, have them cryogenically treated and have them slotted at the same time. About $40-50 per rotor later I have these. Let's see what happens....

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting, thanks for that. I am interested to understand why the cryogenic treatment? What benefits?

Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Interesting x2.
I've never seen OEM slot rotors before for a V6, are you sure those rotors are actually OEM?

TonyB

·
Registered
746 Posts
Interesting, thanks for that. I am interested to understand why the cryogenic treatment? What benefits?

Regards

Pete.
Cryogenic freezing can help relieve manufacturing stresses in metal. It can stabilize metal expansion if you heat then freeze the metal through several cycles. This "might" help to prevent crack formation and propagation. BUT it is not likely to have much effect on a brake rotor. If the base metal of the rotor has been selected carefully and manufactured correctly, the manufacturing does not require a cryo process.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I think you are misunderstanding my post. These are 100% OEM rotors I bought at the dealer. I have had them cryogenically treated AND SLOTTED at the same time through frozen rotors. Frozen rotor can just slot any rotor if needed, even used or do both slotting and cryogenic treatment. Only reason I tried it is due to the massive weight transfer to brakes on these cars, thus brake rotors wearing out quickly. Although it may not do a damn thing, it's worth a shot for $20 a rotor. I will not be slotting or cryogenic on rears.

All the race guys do it and have good results so I hope these will last a long long time. Plus the slots will remove heat as well adding longevity to the rotor.

Info here:

Why Deep Cryogenics? - Frozen Rotors

1 - 5 of 5 Posts