Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I replaced my brake pads and rotors with the OEM replacements at 80,000 miles. I'm currently at 89,618. As I started the car this morning, I noticed that the brake pads warning was illuminated. Also, throughout the day I have noticed signs of brake fade (such as having to press the brake pedal harder to slow down). I have a minor lead foot, but I usually don't have to press the pedal too hard. I've never heard of brakes wearing this quickly. Is this common, or is something up?
Thanks in advance,
Curt.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's no way. My TDI had more than half the pad left at 50k miles. A gasser might use them a bit quicker, but 10k is unbelievable for stock pads and rotors unless you're towing a trailer at your trackdays every weekend in it! If I had to guess, the brake pad light is due to one of your sensors breaking, or corrosion on the contacts where they plug in. Did you change them out when you changed rotors and pads? Or recycle the old ones? It is possible one was installed loosely or something. As for the brake fade, are you sure it is there? Could it just be psychological? Even if your pads were worn enough to set off the sensors, you'd still have ~2mm of good pad left, and brake feel would be completely unchanged. So either something else is going on, or you're just feeling something that's not there.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As above, unless you are a lunatic driver, or there is a fault with the pads, I'd suspect the brake pad wear circuit and self doubt on the fade as a result of seeing the light come on.

Again, as above, I'd be checking the electrical connections first off, but I would also be checking the remaining thickness of the pads, just in case.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I suppose that I could just be crazy in thinking I have brake fade, the warning could have made me paranoid. The wires were replaced at the time of the pad and rotor change, so it seems strange that they would be going off so early. Since my original post, I have driven the Touareg 2 additional places. The second time I started it, the warning was not there, but the 3rd time it was. I suspect you guys may be correct in that something might have corroded and sending up false warnings.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You should have someone scan it and see where it is coming from. If it's a front tire, you can access the wiring by cranking over to full lock. Pop the connector open, spray some contact cleaner on both ends, and plug it back up. It could just have worked its way loose as well, maybe it wasn't fully seated when they did the original brake job. Good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
That's a good point. Entirely possible. OP, have you noticed any unexplained pulling/drifting from the car? Or a burnt smell after getting out after a high-speed drive?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good point. Entirely possible. OP, have you noticed any unexplained pulling/drifting from the car? Or a burnt smell after getting out after a high-speed drive?
Now that you mention it, I have noticed both. I had a laser alignment done a couple weeks back and it still pulls to the left quite hard. As for the smell, after a long drive or a fast drive I do indeed smell a slight burning. Think that could be the cause?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Absolutely ! Take a look at the pads. I bet you will find one the is excessively wore compared to the others. The pull you are experiencing is consistent with a hung caliper.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You could also have a caliper that is hung up. That would cause premature wear.
Aha! I was just coming back to this thread to say the self-same thing!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Now that you mention it, I have noticed both. I had a laser alignment done a couple weeks back and it still pulls to the left quite hard. As for the smell, after a long drive or a fast drive I do indeed smell a slight burning. Think that could be the cause?
Quite possibly if the pull is under braking.

·
Registered
2013 VW Touareg TDI Sport w/tech
944 Posts
I would think most likely causes at 10K are:

1- Pads Sensor or the cable connection to it. Maybe the bolt that holds it is loose?
2- Check the pad thickness - Is it actually worn? Remove the wheel and check.
3- The pad IS worn... That's a caliper problem for sure in 10K. Stuck bad. The pad will probably be worn on a severe angle if one of the pistons is stuck out. Usually corrosion is the cause of a stuck caliper piston.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You could also have a caliper that is hung up. That would cause premature wear.
This was exactly the problem that I had with pads wearing too fast. Both sides had pistons stuck.

I had the front calipers, pads and discs replaced, so I'm expecting slightly longer endurance for the pads this time...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Unfortunately that was not a cheap fix.
Yep, you're right about that. However, I used refurbished OEM calipers (there is at least one company in Germany who does brake caliper refurbishing - can't remember the name straight out of my hat anymore), so that lowered the costs slightly.

Anyway, otherwise it was done "by the book" at the VW workshop since I didn't want to take any risks regarding the brakes...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My apologies for the late replies everyone, I was out in the countryside for most of the weekend and didn't have service. :) as for the problem, all of you were right, I had a hung caliper on my left rear brake. I wasn't completely sure of all the damage that may have taken place, so I ordered new pads, rotors, sensors and discs,and will install them when they arrive on Thursday. Thanks for the help everyone!
-Curt

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's really great to have "clean" brakes on your ride. :D

Just as an aside: I have noticed that my fuel consumption has dropped about half a liter per 100 km (no idea what's that in MPG terms) after changing to working calipers... :-k

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's really great to have "clean" brakes on your ride.

Just as an aside: I have noticed that my fuel consumption has dropped about half a liter per 100 km (no idea what's that in MPG terms) after changing to working calipers...
I sure hope I get better mileage! My mpg is atrocious.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts